• MAC - I am professional photographer

6 8.96%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New PC Purchase - Mac or Windows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone totally over to Mac in the last 18 months. Only keep a windows laptop round so I can run software to fault find on the car. Vista was the initial driver as it really was a pile of ...

I now love my iMac and 13" MacBook Pro. Wouldn't go back to Windows and a PC again unless things radically change.

I find Photoshop CS3 is far, far better running under Mac OS X than Windows XP or Vista where it would lock up everything trying to do a large edit. Don't know what it's like under Windows 7 but I suspect they won't have improved the multi-threading in the Windows kernel that much.
    DM
    Nikon, Really Right Stuff, Gitzo, Manfrotto, Mac
    flickr

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting to see the comments around this topic. All have been constructive for me in one way or another - thanks to all.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree Mike. Must admit I find these threads amusing. The PC or Mac, Holden or Ford, Macca's or Hungry Jacks, Nikon or Canon, are all the same.

In the end we drive cards, we eat burgers, shoot photos and process them, and we all tend to get good results from our chosen brands. It really is a personal choice, and the Holden People will say Holden, the Macca's ppl will say Macca's, the Canon people will say Canon.

In the end, buy what you want to and enjoy it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Windows based PCs on a daily basis for desk top publishing and graphics. I have used Macs for extended periods of time and still every now and again. I find that your average Windows based machine is quicker, both with processing and in its userbility. I find the 2/3 button mouse better than the Mac mouse and funny-apple key arrangement. I also find the click through nature of programs on a Mac is quite annoying and absolutely bewildering to novice users. Cries of "where's my program gone" are common. Note that I was previously involved in training people how to use Macs and PCs.

I know some think that Macs perform better than PCs but I have never found this to be the case, even when using them concurrently. Throw the same money at a PC that you spend on a Mac and the PC will come out on tops. One thing though, Macs are much better value for money now than they have ever been in the past.

If you currently use a Mac and are comfortable with it, stick with Mac.

If you currently use a PC and are comfortable with it, stick to PCs.
    Last edited by peterb666; 09-02-2010 at 8:22pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont get all this Photosop runs better on a Mac stuff...its not exactly the most resource intensive program out there pretty much any computer from the past 10 years will run it fine and dandy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a pc man since i began as a tech for a bank in 91, always been windows.
    November after almost 12 months of saving for new dslr, hd camcorder, cs4 ps, was going to buy premiere. Big purchase here so you could understand the long time saving thing, even longer time to buy, I was all set to spend 2k ona pc that owuld have enough memory hdd space graphics cards, tower with ps etc etc you know the story.
    As someone else mentioned, went to jb hifi and played, luckily I got an out of work photographer as a staff member, he saw my work shirt and id hanging off me so knew he couldnt bs me.
    Now keep in mind im pretty useless when it comes to software(im ahardware tech on financial machines) he showed me a few things, and brought his own laptop out(macbook) and had final cut express and ps cs4 on it, spent a good 30mins with the guy.
    Canned the idea of pc, bought a 27in Imac and have to say love the thing, took a week or two to get used to the different keyboards the wireless mouse thingy (although I have a wacom tablet) and havent looked back. I have coreldraw on my pc and bought this program which for life of me cant recall its name, so I can use win apps on it, best of both worlds. Screen brightness thing is great and no more fans I can hear humming away.
    Well Im no expert, more a tech then user, i got this for video and photo editing, anobsessive hobby, and love it. But having said that, the op system is kinda different you will need to learn new things, like hwere you photos hide and how to browse easily etc, I store everything on a 1TB external drive and all is good with the world.
    Hope this helps
    Grem.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gremlin, I was considering the 21" screen but have decided to do a little more saving and go for the 27" screen in the imac.
    3 out of work buddies have now upgraded to either an imac or mac book pro and we are all server support guys using windows in the office. Pretty much all the stuff we support runs on UNIX or linux though.
    It has be interesting to see comments around the whole Mac - PC thing. I am a bit of a windows fan but one thing that consistantly bugs me is the over head required to keep the Windows OS secure, virus scan engine and scheduled runs, malware engines, firewall etc etc etc. To date, mac has been able to fend of all these resource hungry tools and I can only assume this is due to the underlying OS which I believe is now linux or a cut of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my simple perspective, not having money to buy dedicated PC's for individual purposes, but needing a PC that will do all things, I would opt down the Windows path. At a course I did recently I used a Apple (G4 I think, not up to date with the apple world) and it was awesome. 23" screen, all inclusive, powerful. Wow I thought. Would love one of these. Then reality cut in and the need to be easily compatible with my work environment (Windows based) other family members, etc and windows does me fine. Now if I had bucks to burn and could build descrete devices for purpose an Apple would be seriously considered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely changed over to a mac at home from a PC, and there's nothing I can't do on that, which I could do on the PC.

I still use a wintel laptop for work and frequently move documents between the two machines without any problem.

My sons both use PCs on the same home network as the Mac and actually print to the printer connected to the Mac. I can access my son's iTunes on his computer. We all share the same internet connection. My son tests on my Mac his website developed on his PC.

Tell me again about "discrete devices"??

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mikew, you wont be dissapointed trust me

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Calx, my mate who just bought a Mac Book Pro is telling the same things and he loves it.

Hi Gremlin, I beleive you are cooorrreeeeccccct - :-)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just set up a Macbook Pro for a friend, I am amazed that straight out of the box we got a print identical to that on the screen printing to a Canon pixma printer, it is also linked up to a larger monitor, neither of them have needed to be calibrated! I have spent endless hours calibrating my iMac (2008) and the ViewSonic monitor, I have also had ICC profiles made for the papers I use. So looks as if Apple have got it right with the new monitors. Incidentally, the monitor on the Pro can be edited on easily (15") seems to have more real estate than previous monitors of the same size and the quality is fabulous!
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After using Windows PC's for the last 16 years I have made the change to Mac.
    I bought an IMac a couple of weeks ago & love it. Took a bit of getting accustomed to but now I realise what Mac users have been waffling on about for years.
    Still use the Dell PC for various stuff but the Mac is the first one turned on each day.
    John.

Canon EOS 50D
    Panasonic Lumix TZ10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish you guys would stop talking about changing to Mac. It's giving me an anxiety disorder.

I'm already setup with relatively good PCs and have blown my budget!
    Cheers, Mal

crafthouse images - my Flickr

Canon EOS 5DM3, 7D and a modest collection of "L" goodies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of swapping to an Imac 21.5, Is the Apple still good in regards to catching virus's? Because I remember checking my mates new PC after a week of conservative use and had spyware etc already.
    Aka - Gaston A

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gear List

Camera:Nikon D90 + MB-D80 Batteries grip
    Lenses: Nikon 24-70 F2.8 & Nikon 50mm F1.8
    Tripod: Velbon Sherpa 803R
    Flash: Nikon SB600 with a range of diffusers
    Software: Adobe Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS3

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by latino View Post
    Thinking of swapping to an Imac 21.5, Is the Apple still good in regards to catching virus's? Because I remember checking my mates new PC after a week of conservative use and had spyware etc already.
    From what I have read on the apple site and some forums it appears to still be. Considering the underlying OS is a bread of linux (UNIX) it makes sense it should be realively much more secure.

Keep in mind that though the system is unlikely to be infected within its own container, it can still be capable of passing viruses onto other windows systems via email and such. Seems to be plenty of engines out there for mac that can provide that form of protection.

Do some web surfing on the topic and you will find some very positive info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12