Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Export help in Lightroom 2

Hi Guys,
    Can't find a definitive answer to this question anywhere.
    When I export from Lightroom 2 does it change my original photo into a jpeg?
    Example:- Want to try different sharpening in Export.
    Should I make virtual copy of photo after Developing & Sharpening in Lightroom then Export with type 1 Export Sharpening.
    Make virtual copy of photo after Developing & Sharpeing in Lightroom then Export wity type 2 Export Sharpening, and so on and so on.
    Hope this is not too confusing a question.
    Thanks.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you want to export to "Files on Disk".
    If so, in Export Location you choose to which folder you wish to export.
    In File Settings you choose the file type (doesn't have to be JPG) and colour space.
    In Output Sharpening I have only ever used screen because I use export to upload to Flickr.
    The other sharpen options relate to printing and I don't print from here so I really can't offer any guidance.

HTH.
    Ray Allen.

Pentax K10D, DA 18-55, DA 50-200, Tamron Di LD Macro 70-300, Tamron SP Di II 10-24, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP, Asahi Pentax SP1000, assorted Super-Takumar & SMC screw-mount lenses. Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod + 804RC2 Head, 680B Monopod + 234RC Head.
    Software used: PS CS3 Extended/CS5 Extended, ACR 6.3, Lightroom 3.3, NIK Software plug-ins, FastStone 4.2, ACDSee 10, SilverFast Ai.
    My Flickr Images | My Web Site | Owner of Yahoo! Spotmatic Group
    For 350+ blood/plasma donations to Red Cross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom

Simple answer = Lightroom doesn't do anything to your original file. When you export your photo it makes a copy of the original and exports that copy to where you tell it to. As an example if you right click on your original photo, after cropping etc, whilst in the Develop module and go to settings then click reset you'll see any modifications you'd done disappear.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What Topcat said.

Think of it this way, Your original photo is your film negative, You can make as many prints (jpg copies) as you want from that negative, but the negative never changes. Your prints can have a heap of work done to them and all be different, all from the same negative.

Lightroom doest really alter any photo, what it does is creates a 'sidecar' file of all the edits you make to a photo and stores that sidecar file as as set of instructions on what to do, when you export. You may have noticed that when exporting one of the options is to export the original or export with lightroom adjustments? That can happen cause your adjustments are stored in the sidecar file, and only really applied to the photo at the time of export.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yarnella, Thanks for your time but not really the answer I was after.

TopCat & Rick, Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. It's getting clearer now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To see clearly what Rick means, try this.

Take an orginal pic, upload it into Lightroom.

In lightroom, make some obvious changes (eg. brightness, exposure, crop, saturation etc.)

Close lightroom. Now open the original photo in photoshop. It will be the original photo.

SCotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick. Great explanation.
    I knew Lightroom didn't change the original but played with a copy but your explanation clearly tells me what actually happens.
    Thanks.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is probalby best to not think of it as playing with a copy. As no copy is ever made... (unless you tell it to - but that wastes disk space)

A better analogy might be that the orginal is there, and your changes are layered over the top, like transparences (that can be removed at any time). When you export, it is like a image is taken through all the layers.

Does that sound right Rick (or any lightroom guru on the forum)?
    Last edited by Scotty72; 16-01-2010 at 1:57pm. Reason: just thought of something