Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To edit or not to edit????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaz View Post
    I don't really edit, as i don't know how to do it
    Start practicing Baz ... it really is an essential part of modern day digital photography. Your digital workflow is almost as important as taking the pictures these days.

Lightroom is a brilliant start, this will allow you to mange your collection, process your RAW files, and do a little bit more detailed adjustment as well.

Theres lots of tutorials out there outlining the basics ..
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on what i want... every pic is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the tip bigdazzler, will check out lightroom
    A Camera, A Battery Grip, An Everyday Lens with a UV Filter, A Zoom Lens with a UV filter, A Prime Lens with a UV Filter, A bag, A computer, A Laptop, 2 Memory cards, a remote shutter release cable, Windows picture and fax viewer, Microsoft Office picture manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    When I first started posting here I was opposed to post-processing on the basis that I was here to do and learn photography, not photoshop.

However, the corrupting influence of forum members has caused me to modify my views. Whilst most of my photos only have some exposure correction and contrast done, I'm now happier going totally feral if and when the mood grabs me (witness my slightly bizarre and tongue-in-cheek entry for the People themed weekly competition....).

Do what you're comfortable with. Mongo summed it up pretty well.

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calxoddity View Post
    Hi,
    When I first started posting here I was opposed to post-processing on the basis that I was here to do and learn photography, not photoshop.

However, the corrupting influence of forum members has caused me to modify my views. Whilst most of my photos only have some exposure correction and contrast done, I'm now happier going totally feral if and when the mood grabs me (witness my slightly bizarre and tongue-in-cheek entry for the People themed weekly competition....).

Do what you're comfortable with. Mongo summed it up pretty well.

Regards,
    Calx

This seems to be a common theme.

I think for me it is because I have chosen to go down a path that the camera itself doesn't cope with as well as it did with more convential subject matter.

Cheers to all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnc09 View Post
    How much editing does one do before posting a pic for critiquing
    As much as you need to get useful critique.

If you can see it is a little underexposed and you don't correct it someone will point it out. However if you want to know why your pictures are being underexposed in the camera post the unedited version so people can check out your settings and people can critique those.

If you just want general critique and there is an out of focus branch in the foreground then people will mention that and give less time to critiquing general composition etc...

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop and other programs are a digital darkroom. Film users would not hesitate to adjust things in the darkroom, burn, dodge, crop, adjust/change colours with enlarger filters, increase the contrast via softer or harder grades of paper, sandwich negatives etc etc. As Mongo said, the 'purest' photography was transparency (slide) film.

Each photo will need different lebvels of adjustment work deepending on the camera's sensor (they are not all the same), the skill of the operator of the camera and the digital darkroom (not always the same person), the format the image was captured in, and a lot of subjective personal choices.

I don't generally add or delete anything, and I like them to look naturally HOW I RECALL THE SCENE. That's in caps because it is all about what you saw or perceive as being what you saw. Art is subjective, there are no right or wrongs.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really also depends a lot on whether you arre shooting RAW or shooting JPEG. JPEG shooting effectively preprocesses a RAW quite a bit including sharpening and colour balance and also contrast

I find therefore a JPEG file all else being equal requires less processing (if any) compared to a RAW file

If you simply cant or wont do at least basic processing of a RAW file you are far better off sticking to JPEG's in my opinion

As much as I know processing, Im probably about average on AP terms, quite often I prefer the JPEG out of camera better than the RAW subsequently processed
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting conversation, seems the common theme is the basic requirements and then depending on what the photo needs.

That is the same approach for me, and I may spend a lot of time on a few photo's as they didn't quite come out the way I attempted the first time. But the majority of photo's all they get is a batch edit of the basics...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    If you simply cant or wont do at least basic processing of a RAW file you are far better off sticking to JPEG's in my opinion
    I agree entirely .. you need to know how to process a RAW file quite competently to be able to get the file looking its best. If light is tricky, I always use RAW, but have been finding myself using JPG more and more lately.

I did a portrait shoot the other day on an overcast day with natural light and a reflector, and shot 150 images in JPG, in cloudy WB. They turned out fine and it took me a lot less time to get the final edits sorted out too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to photography atleast I consider myself new it's been less than a year now and when I started I had no clue how to manipulate or post process as everyone calls it. This is because o did not know what to look for in a shot bit eventually after reading comments about different shots taken by people you finally get to know what needs to be corrected and then the question about how to correct this which tool to use filters layers etc. I got myself some free tutorials for a start and did a little bit of playing around with different tools to get the desired results but it has made a huge difference to my shots I guess the fear is overdoing it and I am not a big fan of over processed images (though I do some myself) when done correctly you will be able to maintain the quality of the image but yet make it look as natural as possible like you are seeing it through your eye. This is just my experience.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally. I might tweak a few light settings and sharpness of the photo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it all depends on the image. Some images, just need a little sharpening, others look better tuned mono or sepia, all considered editing. Other times, you missed spotting someting int eh background or the subject has a few zits that need correcting, it all depends on the image, and what you want to acheive with it.
    Canon 600D + Tamron 90mm Macro DI f2.8 + 50mm 1.8 II + 75-300mm + 18-55mm IS II + 430 EX II
    My Life In Frames

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play around with ambient and contrast. I never alter my image though using Photoshop I want it as is with just a little tweak and change the ambient of the photo.

senior portraits photographer senior portrait photography seattle senior portraits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i definitely edit
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too long ago I am strictly stick to straight out of the gun image.

I have started editing (using DPP, later in PS when have time to learn) recently. I find it pretty hard to produce pleasing images straight out of the gun to the viewer (i.e. my missus) especially compare to images that has done some adjustments nowadays.

Viewers (missus) don't care the dignity/cheating factor about post process. They just want stunning images that makes them "Wow!".

I guess at the end of the day it depends on who is the target audience of the image. (yourself, or "Viewers")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I edit most of my digital shots. I edited my B & W photographs. I have exercised artistic license since my first enlargement. When did exercising artistic license become cheating? There are few scenes in paintings that are depicted as they existed. As artists I believe we all have the right to 'edit' the scene before us.
    I guess the responsibility we have is to acknowledge such processes or at least not to deny that artistic license was exercised.

R.IP Alan. You will be missed!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must enter into this about whether too or not.......and photography is an art so as in all art anything goes..look at Picasso...

do what you want to do with a photo to get the results that you want..some like it to go bang some dont...

if it is to look how the eye saw it it or the the memory remembers it well straight out of the camera isnt going cut it as the human eye is much better than the camera for colour and depth etc

the old adage of what you put in is what you get out is worth remembering ..it takes some large amount of time to manipulate photos so they look real but arent as if just some filter has been pushed though the choice is always yours and yours only as to how much

two cameras with the same lenses taken at the same time give different renditions of the same object so they have manipulated the photo without anything other than the shutter being pushed

and it depends what you want as a result...really nothing else..its personal and will remain like that

it would come as no surprise if i said i do manipulate mine considerably...Alan!

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aycee View Post
    snip

it would come as no surprise if i said i do manipulate mine considerably...Alan!Snip
    And you do it very well indeed Alan!!
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12