User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police Clearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have said before a Bluecard only proves that you have no criminal convictions for child related things, and that you are prepared to go to the trouble to get one. If you are a volunteer also the sporting club etc has to authorise you, so, its a way that they have to credential their "workforce also"

Can those detractors suggest anything better, apart from nothing at all (which may not be a bad thing)?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not fact. .
    My point was more the validity in relation to the legal requirement to have one.

But I do see that there would be many times where it may not be legally required but required by the group one may do work for.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

All a police check can do is show that someone doesn't have any convictions in this area.....paedophiles are very good at NOT being detected.

My daughter was molested by someone.....he was investigated by the ploice but because she was so young and couldn't speak for herself they couldn't prove it was him. It had to have been, no-one else had the opportunity to do it.

This man has been a soccer referee in western suburbs of Sydney for years. He's had ample opportunity over those years to keep doing it to other children. He was reported to the referees association. Their response...."he hasn't had any convistions against him so the accusations prove nothing". They even went so far as to say that it was more than likely fabricated. YES I was furious but I'd done all I could to protect the children he had contact with.

So what will this mean to him? Nothing! He now referees adults but it still places him where young children are, where they are not necessarily supervised properly because parents & guardians get a false sense of security in these situations.

The ONLY thing that will protect our children is for all parents not to be complacent in supervising their children. Don't trust anyone with your child...try to be there with them and for them at all times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A police check can show nothing (privacy laws) but only indicates that the person checked has not been convicted in any applicable area. Quite a number of convicted criminals legitimately have blue cards.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be an uncomfortable truth but... you, I and this guy should all be treated as innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law.

Nothing the soccer authorities can, or should do unless they have a legitimate, legal action against the man.

Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by kwill View Post
    All a police check can do is show that someone doesn't have any convictions in this area.....paedophiles are very good at NOT being detected.

My daughter was molested by someone.....he was investigated by the ploice but because she was so young and couldn't speak for herself they couldn't prove it was him. It had to have been, no-one else had the opportunity to do it.

This man has been a soccer referee in western suburbs of Sydney for years. He's had ample opportunity over those years to keep doing it to other children. He was reported to the referees association. Their response...."he hasn't had any convistions against him so the accusations prove nothing". They even went so far as to say that it was more than likely fabricated. YES I was furious but I'd done all I could to protect the children he had contact with.

So what will this mean to him? Nothing! He now referees adults but it still places him where young children are, where they are not necessarily supervised properly because parents & guardians get a false sense of security in these situations.

The ONLY thing that will protect our children is for all parents not to be complacent in supervising their children. Don't trust anyone with your child...try to be there with them and for them at all times.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    A police check can show nothing (privacy laws) but only indicates that the person checked has not been convicted in any applicable area. Quite a number of convicted criminals legitimately have blue cards.
    Exactly...its NOT going to stop someone offending again & again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    It may be an uncomfortable truth but... you, I and this guy should all be treated as innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law.

Nothing the soccer authorities can, or should do unless they have a legitimate, legal action against the man.

Scotty
    A very tricky situation indeed.

I an involved with a referees association and there are numerous complaints and accusations leveled at referees every week. Whilst the majority of complaints are along the lines of "the ref is biased towards the other team", the more serious complaints are always followed up. Unfortunately, in some situations, there is little that can be done (in regards of resulting actions) apart from being aware of the accusation and formally noting it for future reference. Sometimes we will talk to a referee about accusations so they're aware that their actions may be being perceived incorrectly and/or if, heaven forbid they are guilt of the accusation, they might get a wake up call. We must always consider the line between "innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent".

Just like the police checks, until there is a legal proof or conviction, it is very difficult to take action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, there is certainly a lot to consider before heading off to the local junior football game hoping to get some images for the local tabloids. A new direction for me and some homework to do. I think obtaining a blue card will be my first consideration. A very informative thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just had a police check - all ok here - was for working at the kinder
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Cat, we don't have to look for a new moderator? No criminal record to speak of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL - All fine here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiwi

Can I ask which business category you ticked on the form please? I think it is a good idea but can't see any child-related business relevant to photography to choose. From the application form.

Type of child-related business for which a blue card is sought (please tick appropriate box);
    1. health, counselling and support services
    2. private teaching, coaching and tutoring
    3. child care
    4. education programs outside schools
    5. child accommodation services,including homestays
    6. providers of recreational activities such as sporting camps and programs (excluding
    amusement parks)
    7. operators of hostels for rural children
    8. director of a governing body of a non-state school*
    9. licensed care service
    10.religious representatives

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Shane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked as a cop back in the early 70`s then as a high school teacher up till 5 yrs ago when I retired. having to work with a couple of teachers who had been accused of being inappropriate toward kids was quite challenging as you never really knew for sure if the complaint was legit. I was in sydney earlier this week and caught the manly ferry to yes, you guessed it...manly. Had the camera but I felt like I couldn`t take any pics as it was fairly crowded and my D80 with the 17-135 on looked a tad big. Such a shame to feel like this as my motives were above board. Went and had fish and chips instead of togging.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shanebaker View Post
    Kiwi

Can I ask which business category you ticked on the form please? I think it is a good idea but can't see any child-related business relevant to photography to choose. From the application form.

Type of child-related business for which a blue card is sought (please tick appropriate box);
    1. health, counselling and support services
    2. private teaching, coaching and tutoring
    3. child care
    4. education programs outside schools
    5. child accommodation services,including homestays
    6. providers of recreational activities such as sporting camps and programs (excluding
    amusement parks)
    7. operators of hostels for rural children
    8. director of a governing body of a non-state school*
    9. licensed care service
    10.religious representatives

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Shane

Just been talking to the Blue Card people, and if I (as a casual tog) wanted one (not that I really need one but maybe handy), I would fill out Form B (Person Carrying on a Business) and tick box 6 "Providers of recreational activities such as sporting camps and programs (excluding amusement parks)", and looks like it costs $70 now.

Although I notice that a Volunteers classification is Free, so I am now thinking that could be an idea also, especially for more casual events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct Keith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In NSW the Institute of Teachers is being formed. Why? To give us the priveledge of paying $100+ a year for them to run checks.

[/QUOTE]

Teachers get police checks for free in NSW. However you can still be a teacher if you have a police record. It depends on the offense. Violent, Drug or Sex based crimes are out obviously but some "minor" crimes are still ok... Thats how I understand it anyway I could be wrong.

Cheers
    Danny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to let everyone know how long it takes in QLD. I applied just after quizzing kiwi on the thread and pm in mid-late February. I just received my blue card last week. Just three days before the fundraiser I was doing at the school fete
    Wouldn't want to be in a hurry.

Cheers

Shane
    Last edited by shanebaker; 25-06-2010 at 5:43pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill44 - Thanks for the pointer. Link seems to be down at the moment. The related pages are somewhat difficult to interpret, particularly relating to 'employment' or 'volunteer' status.

AAP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    Teachers get police checks for free in NSW. However you can still be a teacher if you have a police record. It depends on the offense. Violent, Drug or Sex based crimes are out obviously but some "minor" crimes are still ok... Thats how I understand it anyway I could be wrong.

Cheers
    Danny
    It is all changing over the next few years, the NSW Institute of Teachers has been formed. At present, only 'new scheme' teachers are required to be members but, that wont last long.

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into this in Nsw last year and was told that because were are not in charge of the children that we don't need a check done.It was only when you are the only adult there and in charge ie a teacher or leader of a group.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast