Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police Clearance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    snip: Also, teachers and police are not required to hold a blue card and yet from our community these people have a great deal to do with children regularly.
    Medical professionals are not required to hold a blue card either, even when participating in activities outside of their profession
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated a bluecard as required by say a volunteer, coach etc is free in QLD

Of course it does not guarantee that you are not a child molester, a drivers licence doesnt guarantee that you aren't a hoon either

But get convicted and you dont have one.

Having a bluecard is a requirement that I have come across a few times both in sporting club involvement and also in photography
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as for police and medical practitioners requiring a bluecard, come on folks, do you think that the checks done on them might actually be more detailed and stringent than the bluecard so what possible advantage would having one have ?

this anti-establishment stuff is astonishing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    as for police and medical practitioners requiring a bluecard, come on folks, do you think that the checks done on them might actually be more detailed and stringent than the bluecard so what possible advantage would having one have ?

this anti-establishment stuff is astonishing
    Hey Darren, give us a break. Do you propose we put these people above the law because of their occupation? Maybe we should include judges, dentists and accountants and all other professionals, that covers a great portion of inmates in prison.
    Why not just tax everyone $80 per year and give all a free bluecard? When you think of it we all deal with children or children's groups at least once a year. Ever been to the Easter show or Ekka? The bluecard serves no purpose, particularly not security.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Police Clearance.

Does anyone actually read what I say or jump three pages ahead, what I said was what additional checks would be done on say a policeman applying for a bluecard to those checks that he/she might have done to be a policeman

How you read any message about putting anyone above the law by me applying some simple logic is staggering and ingenuous

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here here Kiwi - least i did read saying what you said..... as for police they go under fingerprint, and national names index to checks . seems be to more indepth then called so blue cards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    ....or completely the opposite view.

A caring government for the people helping to look after our children and charging a totally reasonable fee to do so rather than taking the funds out of the consolidated account that all taxpayers contribute to, with the media making people aware that not all the glistens is gold.

Oh yeah and they're providing on the spot management of this are they ? Yeah right of course they wont be. So what do you get for your money eh ! ? Keep dreaming Kiwi You and I sometimes share an opinion, but on this one we dont - its simple revenue raising and pretty disgusting one if true ! Considering all the crap we adopt from America, its a shame that a bill of rights isnt one of them !

And I'm sorry but the blue card system is so appallingly flawed and misunderstood by both recipients and the adminstering authorities ( at least in Qld) that its quite frankly a pathetic, and dangerously mismanaged !

And yes I did read all of your posts
    Last edited by Longshots; 11-01-2010 at 9:39pm.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't suggesting that it was a bad thing, simply that they didn't need one.
    I fully agree Darren that the checks done to be employed in those professions would be a lot more in-depth than that done for a blue card.

A little off topic but having to pay for additional police checks for different reasons is a bit over the top.
    I am a Justice of the Peace(Qualified) - Police check
    I have a Positive Notification Card (Blue Card) - Another Police check
    I have recently been considering joining the local Rural Fire Brigade - Guess What - I have to have another police check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Hey Darren, give us a break. Do you propose we put these people above the law because of their occupation? Maybe we should include judges, dentists and accountants and all other professionals, that covers a great portion of inmates in prison.
    Why not just tax everyone $80 per year and give all a free bluecard? When you think of it we all deal with children or children's groups at least once a year. Ever been to the Easter show or Ekka? The bluecard serves no purpose, particularly not security.

My God, I find myself agreeing with Kiwi - twice today!

I am sure he means that Police, Medicos, teachers etc all are required to undergo police checks as a part of remaining in their respective jobs.

I KNOW that in QLD, the BTR (Board of Teacher Registration rip off teachers to the tune of $100+ each year to do the checks)

In NSW the Institute of Teachers is being formed. Why? To give us the priveledge of paying $100+ a year for them to run checks.

NSW Dental Board also keep an eye on these things - as I assume the AMA etc all do as well - for huge fees.

The police - how hard is it for the police to do a police check on a cop.

So, I doubt that Kiwi thinks these professions are 'special'... I assume he just knows that we are all checked inside out and back to front - regularly.

Scotty
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify, a police check is a police check irrespective of your occupation, we are treated equally in this regard.
    What is different is the additional checks done that relate to specific issues with children. These can be applied to a bus driver equally as to a doctor. And unless the doctor is dealing with these issues he/she won't be checked.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked as a contracted shooter of childrens activities for many years (soccer, rugby league, swimming, athletics, dance, team and individual portrait etc) and never experienced a problem or complaint. Every employer required me to complete a "working with children" statement which I don't believe was ever checked.

One day I was photographing girls swimming events at the Sydney Olympic pool venue when a lady came charging out of the seating area, rushed out on the pool deck before the officials could stop her, confronted me and asked whether I was the photographer who had covered the event the previous day. Thinking the $%&^ was about to hit the fan I answered honestly that it was me only to be greeted with a hug, a kiss and a thank you.... it seemed she was happy with the prints she bought of her daughter. (I never got to see my work as my employer had several young ladies doing the sales, editing and onsite printing and a runner would collect my CF cards every few minutes)

I am yet to have a problem first hand although my wife was questioned by a parent once when we were both photographing my daughters soccer team.... perhaps I have just been lucky?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you have been lucky

And nowhere have I said I agree with the Bluecard or whether it's effective. Im just stating the facts, as I understand them

And all I did was state the opposite view, I didnt say I agreed with that either

I think I'm a centre-wing

Or fence sitter

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    friend in nsw email did me a link to local story about police with photographer doing expo

http://www.portnews.com.au/news/loca...y/1721686.aspx

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiwi, sorry that my post has involved people attacking you.
    I put the post up as information, not as a subject for various misguided political/anti regulation
    fanatics.

The response of some has made me decide in the future to not pass this sort of information on in the form of a post for everybody to see. Selective PM may be the way to go, which is not in the spirit of this forum but has been prompted by several peoples attitude.
    regards
    Bill

Nikon D90 with grip. 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D. 18-105VR. 70-300VR
    SB-600. GF Lightsphere. Stroboflip flash bracket.
    Benro A357 & B2 ball head.
    and a bag full of gadgets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by celio View Post
    friend in nsw email did me a link to local story about police with photographer doing expo

http://www.portnews.com.au/news/loca...y/1721686.aspx

I read that article and simply wondered why the photographer in question didnt just explain what he was doing and left at it that - why does he then clearly inform the newspaper about the incident ? He even is quoted as saying yes the policeman was just doing his job.

The police do have a role, and as a pro I dont mind explaining to a person with the proper authority - as a policeman has in a public place - exactly what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. Having a camera and pointing it at people and taking shots of them without their permission isnt a right, and in my humble opinion its rude. I've always talked to people I shoot and explained what I'm doing. If they dont want me to photograph them I dont -that to me is simply respectful.

There is a middle ground here. Its called compromise and understanding.

As it happens even though I earn my living from photography, I have to be honest to admit that I truly do not like my picture taken without my permission or some form of explanation as to what its intended use is. Ironic eh ?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I think the blue card idea is sound. Even if nothing else it creates a bit of 'peace of mind' in parents. They know the holder has been police checked etc. So even if it doesn't really do any good, it also does no harm.
    Totally agree. In discussion with the Child Safety Officer of one of the sporting associations where I take photos, with their permission, she agreed that peace of mind for parents was a big thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lat year i was asked to take photos of a Disable Sports Expo and was charging a nominal amout for my time and effort.
    I had to undergo a Dept of Sport and Rec check which was fine by me. However the check didn't come back before the event therefore i was unable to take the photos and be paid. However i could have "volunterred" and did it for free and no check was required. I questioned the hipocaracy that i was approached and offered to be paid, i needed a check, however if i was a volunteer and approached them i didn't need one.?????
    BTW the Dept of Sport and Rec check is much more in depth than the police one (so i was told) Not sure if that has changed since then.

Bill thanks for posting this thread. It is very useful and i thank you...
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    Kiwi, sorry that my post has involved people attacking you.
    I put the post up as information, not as a subject for various misguided political/anti regulation
    fanatics.

The response of some has made me decide in the future to not pass this sort of information on in the form of a post for everybody to see. Selective PM may be the way to go, which is not in the spirit of this forum but has been prompted by several peoples attitude.
    No Bill, don't consider not posting this sort of thing on the forums.
    It is a very worthwhile subject and a means of educating people.
    There is nothing in this thread that constitutes an attack as I see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absolutely, its all ok Bill. Its healthy to have vigorous discussions. I enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can see this is a way of ensuring that people who want to work with children doesnt have any prior criminal convictions and child related offences. My wife works in home daycare and we all undergo a police check.If this certificate can help keep offenders away from children then it is worth every cent.Leaving a young child alone with someone is asking a lot of trust in someone. Im for it and will happily pay.I dont think this will apply to a parent taking photos of thier kids playing footy.But if you are a pro and you make money from photographing and working with young kids then tuff.
    John
    Pentax K5
    Pentax K10 D Limited Edition
    Pentax FA*28-70mm f/2.8
    Pentax FA*80-200mm f/2.8
    Pentax 100 MACRO f/2.8
    Pentax FA 31mm 1.8 Limited
    Pentax FA 15 mm Limited Wide Angle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast