Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Clearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Police Clearance.

If you are in the habit of photographing Junior Sport in NSW I suggest you read the following link, and click on and read the facts sheet.
    http://www.kids.nsw.gov.au/kids/work...oyedpeople.cfm

Of particular interest is the point that as of 1st May 2010 you may run the risk of a $22,000.00 fine if someone gets nasty and you don't have a Police clearance Certificate. For $80.00 for 3 years it is a good bit of insurance.
    regards
    Bill

Nikon D90 with grip. 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D. 18-105VR. 70-300VR
    SB-600. GF Lightsphere. Stroboflip flash bracket.
    Benro A357 & B2 ball head.
    and a bag full of gadgets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks similar to the Bluecard here in Queensland, which you also require, and if shooting professionally a "commercial grade" bluecard
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Looks similar to the Bluecard here in Queensland, which you also require, and if shooting professionally a "commercial grade" bluecard
    Pretty much the same thing Darren, but they've introduced this one for self employed people who don't come under an employers normal "Working With Children" check. The checks and clearances seem to vary from state to state.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could Mongo please get some clarification of this stuff.

It all talks about “employment” or “self employment”. Most people on this site are casual, amateur photographers and NOT employed in any sense of the word. Therefore , does any of this apply to those of us (leaving aside all the stuff we have previously discussed about using good sense about what subject matter you photograph etc ) ??
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mongo, are you selling the photos ?

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kiwi,

it is exceptionally unlikely that MOngo will ever photography kids unless for some friend's family photos. In any event, it will not be in an employed capacity (or for reward) if I do this favour for them. Also Mongo has NEVER sold any of his images to anyone nor does he intend to. Does that help ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, Well, IN QLD anyhow that was the determining factor as to the class of Bluecard, I think it's likely to be similar in NSW

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another way of governments ripping off law abiding citizens and using overblown media hype to justify it.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic has the potential to go off the rails PDQ as did a recent one.

Don't get personal
    Keep On Topic
    The Mods are watching
    No flaming or flamebait
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your right

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Just another way of governments ripping off law abiding citizens and using overblown media hype to justify it.
    hi,
    I think that's 1 of reasons corporate driven communism is already here for some time now
    I was raised in communist country I know something how the propaganda and system is implemented successfully by those behind bureaucracy and or law making machine
    the only small difference is, this comes from global mafia not from ruling party like former USSR for example
    all the rest, no difference

enjoy reality !
    D5 user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

....or completely the opposite view.

A caring government for the people helping to look after our children and charging a totally reasonable fee to do so rather than taking the funds out of the consolidated account that all taxpayers contribute to, with the media making people aware that not all the glistens is gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Lol, Well, IN QLD anyhow that was the determining factor as to the class of Bluecard, I think it's likely to be similar in NSW
    It's interesting you mention that as I rung the blue card place a short while ago and was told that I don't need a card as I'm taking photos of the kids with the parents permission ie - family portraiture session.

I am wondering now if I've been given some wrong advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was taking photos under my company name, not as me I suppose, so am an employee effectively. I think that was a factor too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the blue card idea is sound. Even if nothing else it creates a bit of 'peace of mind' in parents. They know the holder has been police checked etc. So even if it doesn't really do any good, it also does no harm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting .. never heard of the Blue card before .. what is the Victorian equivalent?

Joining another volunteer organisation in a months time, they need a 'working with children' check done and license issued, is that the same thing?

l'm just a standalone guy walking around with my camera taking pictures, what else is required to get to take picture of people in and around public events?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I think the blue card idea is sound. Even if nothing else it creates a bit of 'peace of mind' in parents. They know the holder has been police checked etc. So even if it doesn't really do any good, it also does no harm.

Not sure I can concurr... All teachers undergo regular police checks, it doesn't stop suspicion at school carnivals.

I think they have just found a way to tax yet another thing that used to be free. If it really were a genuine 'child protection' move, why not make it free or minimal cost (eg $5 to cover the cost of making and posting the certificate).

Mongo, I think it will apply to you (not working as a tog). Volunteers, footy coaches etc. also have to get this piece of red tape.

Before anyone blows up: I am NOT against it - but the cost, $80 to photograph your own kids' playing footy, makes me think it nothing more than a tax grab. For I, who undergo these checks anyway, will need to pay MORE money for something I already have.

It should ALWAYS be free to photograph your own kids.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Police checks do not cost $80 per person for the sporting association I'm involved with...yet another tax grab i say!

but seriously, every sporting event I attend as an volunteering official (ie. game referee) I have to sign a police check form...and it's different in every state!! When will we get some national consistency that applies to everything...surely when they do a police check they check a national database and you don't need to have it done 6 times a year!

And as with the restrictions for photography at beaches/schools/pools, this new "law" is not going to protect the kids, it's simply going to affect the innocent and law abiding citizens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blue Cards (in qld) are a crock of the proverbial, what do they prove ??

They prove that you do not have a recorded history of any any wrong doings, that's all.

Do they have a photograph on them to ensure their is no doubt that the person presenting the card is indeed the person named on the card ?? NO

Don't get me wrong, we need to do what can be done to protect the innocence of our children, but unfortunately until a person is caught doing a police check will not prevent anything
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a retiree on a pension I cannot afford fees to do something I have done for years voluntarily taking photos at the local football and cricket (in 2 states) then selling prints for a very modest fee to partly cover my costs. The paranoia caused by media over and wrongly reporting many things is the biggest problem in modern society, a small example is the incident of a break in a local silo dropping about 50 tons of wheat out of the silo it was reported to be 5000 tons which is more than the total capacity of the silo there were also false reports of other repairs to silos that had failed. If the media can't report easily confirmed simple things like this how can we trust them to report major happenings honestly and correctly.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 11-01-2010 at 7:53pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, I've had a blue card in Qld since they started, which was years ago. In fact because of what I do I need two. One for commercial work and another for volunteer work Believe it or not. Each card covers different contingencies so it's not a priority system.
    I would visit up to a hundred schools each year to video or photograph kids and I have never been asked to produce my card.
    With my role as chairman of prisons I've seen a significant number of former card holders become resident. Also, teachers and police are not required to hold a blue card and yet from our community these people have a great deal to do with children regularly. I'm just emphasising that parents shouldn't take security for granted because the blue card system exists.
    It does make you wonder what its worth is and I don't blame some people for thinking that the motives for the system are purely monetary.
    Having said that, of course you need to apply for a card if your work requires one. That's the law. The only people outside that are the ones that molest children. I can't recall any offender being charged for not having a blue card.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast