Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Post Processing Setup - HELP!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Processing Setup - HELP!!!

Hi all,

I've decided I've got to get serious about PP. Basically I have no idea about where to start so I'm after advice on programs to use & computer setup.

I am currently using my laptop which is not ideal seeing as everytime I tilt the screen the colours/brightness etc changes. Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a separate monitor to a laptop or if I have to spend even more $$$ and get a PC?

Currently I only have the software that came with my cameras, Arcsoft & Digital Photo Professional (which I havent even tried to use yet). I have checked online and there are zillions of tutorials for Photoshop. I figure I am going to have to teach myself via tutorials so I'm leaning toward Photoshop CS3 or Photoshop Elements.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Canon 50D, Canon 10-22, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/4 L, Canon 1.4x II extender & Wonderful 50L dry cabinet to house all of the above!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want try colour for printing then you need a colour calibrator.

It's a spyder that you attach to your monitor and it gives you true colours (as colours on monitors vary to that when you print them). They cost about $200

Also are you shooting in RAW or JPEG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a separate monitor to a laptop or if I have to spend even more $$$ and get a PC?
    Generally yes. What make and model laptop do you have? Anything from the last few years should do the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes, PS Elements is a fine place to start
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Renae, before you spend money it might be worth looking at the free software available. This is from the Learning Centre: Equipment and Software 'sticky' post written by Kym in the New to Photography forum

7. Computer and Software
    You will need a computer and software for your digital darkroom (Post Processing).
    Don't buy any software until you at least try the free alternates; you are better off putting your money into decent glass (lenses) than expensive software.

For photographic processing your computer will need a reasonable graphics card (256MB minimum) and plenty of memory.
    2GB of memory on Windows XP is a good amount.
    Windows 7 based systems will need more, 3 to 4GB being normal or more for 64 bit Windows 7.

The following programs are more than sufficient for 98% of PP that any photographer is likely to do.
    a) The GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ (this has many plugins and has similar capabilities to Photoshop)
    b) Picasa from google http://picasa.google.com/
    c) Paint .net http://www.getpaint.net/ (Very lightweight, good for JPEGs and simple stuff)

And the missing 2% can be done using other programs (eg. Autostitch for panoramas)
    Also many makers provide 30-day trials of their software which you can download and try for free. e.g Adobe

One thing you might need to check is if your laptop has sufficient memory etc to run something like CS3 etc.

Cheers.
    Last edited by fillum; 10-01-2010 at 5:27pm.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.