Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: JPEG or RAW

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I don't take sport or weddings, I think I'll stick to RAW. For macro, I often change the white balance and exposure. If I used jpeg, the results would not be as good.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also only use RAW now and find I can produce much better results in PP with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that you should consider the 'fit for purpose' rule. If you're aiming for stock or art images, then use RAW. If you are doing a childrens birthday party - then JPEG will suffice (of course, nothing stops you from shooting RAW). Portraiture should alway be done using RAW. The data available in the RAW file provides greater control of the image without the artifacts of the JPEG format.
    Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I alway shot in raw , with small jpeg for preview.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xiaocai View Post
    I alway shot in raw , with small jpeg for preview.
    I used to shoot RAW + JPG so I could use the JPGs as preview images, but software such as Lightroom, Adobe Bridge and even the Mac's Finder can view RAW files natively, so there's no need to consume disk space with redundant, lesser-quality JPGs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting thread, i have been shooting jpeg until recently when i changed to raw, i really need to get some bigger cards now for the extra space the raw takes, on my camera i have a sraw setting, would there be any difference in quality using the smaller raw?
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sRAW has less pixels, so there will be a decrease in quality. Whether this is limiting for you would depend on your requirements I guess. It's important to note too, that very few 3rd party image editors recognise sRAW formats, so you may be stuck with using your camera's RAW software if you shoot sRAW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    you always can create the exact same JPEG from the RAW as when you shot JPEG directly.
    My thoughts exactly, I was told also to convert to TIFF not JPEG, as magazines and what not will not take JPEG, is this true?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bax155 View Post
    My thoughts exactly, I was told also to convert to TIFF not JPEG, as magazines and what not will not take JPEG, is this true?
    Depends on the magazine I guess. I shoot for a couple of local magazines and one actually requires sRGB JPEG. A high glossy cover might set other requirements than a quarter column image somewhere burried deeply in the second half of a cheap magazine.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always shoot in raw now, even for just those birthday parties, as it gives more flexibility during PP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a noob too but I shoot in Raw. I'm more confident in my PP abilities than in my actual photography lol. The only time I'm inclined to shoot Jpeg is when shooting sports and need the faster frame rate that Raw slows down

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot in RAW because it offers more for WB and a lot more flexibility. The only time I have shot jpeg is when the 6 frame buffer of my D60 has been too little for birding

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danylu View Post
    I shoot in RAW because it offers more for WB and a lot more flexibility. The only time I have shot jpeg is when the 6 frame buffer of my D60 has been too little for birding
    Always good to see someone thinking about the best way to get the picture and not bound by rules or regulations.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdnc09 View Post
    I am a newbie and wondering what format to shoot in - JPEG or RAW??

Thanks
    JO
    Shoot RAW.

There is maths behind it.

Shoot RAW.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot RAW 99% of the time. Occasionally if Im shooting kids I coach or whatnot Ill shot Jpeg so I can give the photos to them easily. In my thoughts, with prograsm like LightRoom there is no reason not to shoot RAW for personal work. Its tooo easy.
    Using a 7d or a s95
    Advice and Edits welcome
    http://adamrose.wordpress.com/ [/CENTER]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: JPEG or RAW

How often do you find you need the data in the RAW file, just interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raw or Jpg

I have the two card option [D300s] and thought ok I'll have Raw on the high capacity, high speed SD card, and Jpeg on the slower CF card - great idea.
    I have loaded ViewNX, but I can't find the instructions on how to use it.
    Where to now?

R.IP Alan. You will be missed!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weighing into the old crusty Raw vs JPEG arguement here..its like who came first....it depends on what you do with the photos...the advantages of JPEG is its a lot lot smaller in file size.......to get this smaller file size there is a huge amount of compression and to do this 10% of the date is lost on every save including the first as i am lead to believe..its not very noticeable to the eye on the first save but the information is lost..and never to be got back...ever....so if you were high end manipulating you are on the back foot as 10% is gone that would almost for sure make the difference

because of smaller file size many many more photos can be taken in a bracket if taking speed photos so it comes into its own for that

the only argument is whether you want quality retained completely or is it faster, smaller lower quality files

thats my two bobs worth

Alan!
    Canon Gear lenses tripod and enthusiasm "Photography is 90% good lighting and mostly the rest doesnt matter as long as it is in a 5 minute bracket morning and evening" regards Alan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this it look like I will have to shoot some photos in raw and see what they are like.
    And that's the way the cookie crumbles!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretending2bDarren View Post
    After reading this it look like I will have to shoot some photos in raw and see what they are like.
    Remember that a raw file will often not have the POP of a jpg etc, and it adds to your workflow.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast