Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sharp

Hey,

I was wondering what programs you guys use for sharpening.
    I've heard that the one inside lightroom 2 is not the best.

I do not have photoshop and do all my pp in lightroom. Are there any 3rd party programs or plugins which do a better job than lightroom itself?

I could get photoshop, but do not really feel the need as there are so many options in lightroom 2 already and probably more coming in lighrtoom 3 anyway.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Mirc
    Constructive criticism is most welcome!!!

Canon 40D, 100-300 5.6 L
    Sigma 17-70
    Manfrotto Tripod

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use lightroom but apply minimal sharpening in Aperture, which should be similar to LR. I wouldn't have thought you would need a separate sharpening program. If I want differential sharpening (eg eyes only) I would use photoshop. Elements would be a cheaper alternative, would give you layer masks etc for other PP effects
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lots of information about this in our Tutorials Forum, in the sharpening tutorial : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ead.php?t=8579. There are many varied ways to achieve sharpening in all the different software packages available. Do a google on "Lightroom Sharpening Preset"
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a lightroom / CS4 user and i've tried various techniques in photoshop and then compared with the LR sharpening. On quite a few occasions, I've noticed that the difference is minimal when viewing photos at web resolutions etc (eg. 800x600).

In LR I hold down the alt key and move either or the bottom 2 sliders (radius and masking i think?) and see where the sharpening is going to be applied. I find this particularly useful as sometimes all you need is the edges sharpened a bit more and leave the rest alone.

There are plenty of standalone products available but I'm yet to invest in them. If I was to invest in a product it would probably be the "Magic Sharp" photoshop action by Kevin Kubota...a lot of pros seem to like this and the results are pretty awesome. Jasmine Star (http://www.jasminestarblog.com/) is US based photographer that uses it, her pics are always clean and sharp. One of her recent weddings posts is a good example of this: http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index...g-cindy-jelani

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One called Focal blade is pretty good also
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple solution for LR

Realise that the sharpening in LR is capture sharpening - read about this in Kelby's book and plenty of googling will help

Output sharpening is then applied when you export or print - it's only after that process that the full extent of sharpening is apparent

BEST thing you can do is download and install LR/Mogrify, it's donationware, so cheap as

It has MUCH better USM style export sharpening that I find works really well

Apparently (and not fully implemented in the Beta) is much better capture sharpening in LR 3
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you people.

I guess i go with kiwis tips as i am not really able to spend much money on 3rd party stand alone applications at the moment.

Cheers,

Mirc

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

I now installed mogrify....

How do i find out how much output sharpening i have to do? With or without mogrify?

Is there any kind of preview? How do you determine what image to sharpen a lot and which ones just a little?

What difference does it make if I wanna print it or just want to have it as a jpeg on the computer or print it later from the jpg?

Thank you !!!!

Edit:

Another thing i was wondering....How do i get the best print result if i want to print some pictures in a photo shop? Should i give them the jpeg or the raw files or what is the best to save as much detail and iq as possible?

What is your workflow to get a picture out of lightroom or photoshop and into the shop who will print the image?

thanks again
    Last edited by Mircula; 16-01-2010 at 11:52am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You csnt preview LR/Mogrify sharpening, you have to look at the resultant JPEG and reexport if required

You usually apply a little bit more sharpening to photos for the web, rather than printing. I dont.

If you are going to print, fisrt crop to the print size, eg 8x10 ratio then burn a full size jpeg from within LR - I dont go through LR/Mogrify in this case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Gimp2, is free.