User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: What kind of light globe should I have in my study?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of light globe should I have in my study?

Just wondering if the type of globe you have impacts the final result seen on the screen.

My monitor is calibrated with a spyder2. I do a bit of PP in the morning with natural light, but most often at night under a compact flourescent bulb. Is there something else I should be using? Is there a "daylight" globe I can put in the ceiling like the ones that are used in studio lighting?
    Sam.
    Kiddy Paparazzi, Wife and Mum of 4. Not always in that order!

Nikon F60 & Nikkor 35-80mm, Nikon D700 & Nikkor 50mm 1.4, 24 - 70 f/2.8G, 105mm micro f/2.8G Nikon SB800 speedlight, Casio Exilim P&S and other assorted paraphernalia that takes up too much room in my study!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was asking myself the same question a while ago and the printers we use recommend that ---- " LIGHTING: The room should be lit with Phillips TLD 95 fluoro tubes for colour correcting." ----- but when I looked those types of tubes up it seems that they come in a variety of colour temperatures ( degrees Kelvin ) ranging from 3000 degrees warm white to 6500 degrees cool daylight with 5300 degrees daylight in the middle.

I am going to look into it further but will probably end up with the 5300 degree ones to start with.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your eyes adjust to counter the differences in temperature of light. Take fluorescent lights, we see them often as a clean light or slight blue tinge, yet they emit a green cast.

As long as you calibrate your monitor for the conditions that exist in your room you should be fine. I am not sure if the Spyder 2 can do an ambient light check (the spyder 3 checks the light in the room during calibration) and that can be worthwhile to ensure an optimum result.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Rick basically are you saying I'd have to recalibrate every time if I work both daylight or under lights? Bit of a PIA that

Wondering if there is a way to save 2 spyder profiles on my iMac and switch between them as needed...

Andrew I might sus that globe thing out too.

Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the morning, close the curtains and turn the light on - problem solved!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 6500k daylight fluoro and leave the blinds half open, providing indirect sunlight. Seems to work okay. I had a lower temp fluoro before and it wasn't as nice to work with (looked yellowish in the day but okay at night).

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an iMac 27in that needs to be calibrated and am looking at a Spyder but that will come later. Yes you can set and later select several different colour profiles on the mac.
    I use a Coolwhite compact flouro in a slightly frosted shade and have found thats the best colour for me.
    Speaking to a processor he advised me that the monitor needs to be frequently calibrated to remain true. He was saying that length of time monitor is on, style of images eg: outdoor/Studio/action can also make an effect. His monitors are calibrated about every half hour.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Philips Ambience Cool Daylight globes (6500K) which appear to give a nice even light without the yellowy tinge of the Warm White ones. I also tend to keep the blinds closed (or mostly so), but more because of the heat factor rather than the light from outside.
    Osprey Photography

Canon: 5D Mk II, 40D, 10D all gripped, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro and other assorted accessories.

Some stalk, some chase and some pursue... but I hunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    So Rick basically are you saying I'd have to recalibrate every time if I work both daylight or under lights? Bit of a PIA that

Wondering if there is a way to save 2 spyder profiles on my iMac and switch between them as needed...

Andrew I might sus that globe thing out too.

Thanks guys!
    no need to recalibrate, just have a differant profile for each lighting condition.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ISO 12646 and it's predecessor ISO 3664 norms say:
    - Colour temperature 5000K, colour reproduction index 90 or higher
    - 32 to 64 Lux (check using an external lightmeter: 100 ISO, 1 second, aperture = 4 - 5.6)
    Thus, no ambient light should enter the room and it's a pretty dark environment.

For checking prints, much more light is required (1500 to 2500 lux).

It's not just the light itself, it's the fitting that needs to be okay too - some change the light colour.

There are pretty good Solux halogen lights with integrated blue-filter that a specified to generate 4700K (pretty close!), check out solux.net.
    True-Lite, Philips and Just also provide TL and PL lights (tubes usually) that are pretty good.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told by a Pro. Printer to get a D5 Fluro.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated