Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon International Warranty - VCAT ruling includes Australia

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole thing is that these multi national company's know they can fight the average purchaser into bankruptcy long before the courts get close to a decision on the legality of their actions. That's how the banks got away with their fees for nothing for so long. I'll be watching that one closely.
    Keith.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Yep..this whole convoluted policy sure does stink. But what I think's worse and at the root of the problem is the massive disparity between aust import prices and overseas prices. Yea they can blame it on additional freight costs, australia's isolation, taxes yadayadayada but it's still cheaper to buy at retail price overseas, pay for shipping of an individual item, pay the GST and still come out cheaper than Aust and they wonder why they have a gray import problem. Of course not on all products but there's enough out there for a thriving gray market.
    The thing is these retailers overseas are still making a profit too!

Thing is the whole thing is so complex that it gets to the point where you give up long before you even claim on the warranty!

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, no one has produced a precise reference to the VCAT decision or a copy of it so Mongo can study it. Additionally, it has been mentioned earlier above, that Nikon may have made changes to its warranty documents. This may have been done in response to any court ruling to attempt to overcome any wording that the Tribunal may have found contributed to Nikon being found liable. So, the decision , if it exists, may no longer be relevant or effective.

There is just too much speculation and not enough facts to go on in this thread. Mongo agrees there should not be so much uncertainty and complication about a simple product. Mongo cannot think of any other common goods that have so much nonsense surrounding them as far as warranty goes. So, why should it be so with photographic equipment ? It does stink .
    Nikon and Pentax user

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Mongo, only really added to this instead of starting a new thread as it is sort of relevant, but yes...no proof of anything to do with VCAT!

Roo

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. Oops.. Sorry for taking things off course. Apologies.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Yep..this whole convoluted policy sure does stink. But what I think's worse and at the root of the problem is the massive disparity between aust import prices and overseas prices.<snip>
    Given the C R Kennedy will price match Sigma on 'legit' grey prices it does make you wonder.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kym,
    How do you mean exactly, could you give me an example.
    I am looking at buying a sigma lens right now, here it is $3200, OS=$2300 inc tax & freight.
    I find it appaulling the price disparity and if it was ~10% per say, no one would bother buying OS at all.

I also thought that if you bought anything OS, you would need to send it back OS for warranty.
    But what if i travel to HK or USA and bought stuff, how do they know it is imported or bought on OS holiday...

Too many grey areas that seem like bully play without real worth.
    They just need to fix the price up and we wouldnt have the problem to start with.

Cheers Neil
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbnutz View Post
    But what if i travel to HK or USA and bought stuff, how do they know it is imported or bought on OS holiday...
    Simple, the warranty providers are the importers and the very first thing they do is check the serial number of the item against their database of items that they have received in Aus. and distributed to their dealers.

That is most definitely the case with Sigma as I asked them to check a couple of lenses that I had in for repair, it took them all of 2 minutes to confirm where each one was sold.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite what i was meaning.
    I know they can check what is their stock, through serial no. but they have said, that if you travel OS and bought the lens then they would honor the warranty.
    They also say that if you bought it, say by ebay from the same place they wont warranty it.
    So how do they know the difference in this case ?

Cheers Neil

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Simple, the warranty providers are the importers and the very first thing they do is check the serial number of the item against their database of items that they have received in Aus. and distributed to their dealers.

That is most definitely the case with Sigma as I asked them to check a couple of lenses that I had in for repair, it took them all of 2 minutes to confirm where each one was sold.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know that too Neil.
    Keith.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Neil, maybe I am confused, Kym was talking specifically about Sigma lenses and you asked for clarification which I presumed was about Sigma lenses.

As far as I know and have been told, Sigma lenses DO NOT come with an international warranty, if you buy from OS it doesn't have a warranty in Aus.
    If CR Kennedy have told you different they musty have changed their policy recently.

The original topic of this thread, Nikon lens international warranty is simply being rehashed.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From CR Kennedy's web pages on warranty ---

C.R. Kennedy & Co P/L will only undertake warranty repairs on products sourced through us. All products imported directly from overseas and resold are not covered by our warranty. This includes purchases through eBay or through grey importers such as www.camerasdirect.com.au, www.d-d-photographics.com.au, www.DealsDirect.com.au, www.globalmediapro.com and www.photobuff.com.au.

In full at http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index...5&pageRef=179&

and

2 YEAR OFFICIAL SIGMA WARRANTY
    C.R.Kennedy & Company offers a two year warranty on Sigma lenses and
    flashes.
    This warranty is only valid on Australian stock purchased through an
    Authorised Dealer.

from http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index...5&pageRef=210&

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo cannot think of any other common goods that have so much nonsense surrounding them as far as warranty goes. So, why should it be so with photographic equipment ? It does stink .
    Mongo is not alone.

It's not just photographic equip, it's the same story across many industries.

Am heavily invloved in fishing/boating & selectively purchase o/s or here depending on the outcome of a complex mathematical formula that has the following components. Potential savings/warranty issues /potential cost of repair/life of equipment/relationship with current local provider/and all round gut feeling.

Having recently imported a whole boat and some accesories from the US, I explored it heaps, and even spoke direct to several engine companies where I couldn't get clarification from a dealer or their web site. Nearly all companies won't warrant the same engine imported direct vs purchased here, same situation as camera bodies.

The only manufacturer (mercury) that even entertains it has stupid limits. ie you get 12 months warranty if purchased o/s, or 5 years if purchased here. Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude etc dont cover it at all.

Marine electronics (depth sounders /gps/ radars) are the same. Lowrance/Navman/Furuno all have a no warranty policy except if it's come through the official distributer.

Fishing gear's the same. Reels and rods of all brands have a no warranty policy like above.

This global trade has opened doors that most distributors didn't want opened.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 25-09-2010 at 4:42pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Sigma lenses must be bought via an authorised dealer, but they do price match grey importers.
    http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465

We will attempt to match, through our authorised Sigma dealer network, any legitimate advertised internet price on Sigma lenses by these grey importers.ᅠThese prices do not include traditional pre-sales and after sales service normally given by your local retail store. We suggest that you research the product thoroughly before making any purchase.
    The point is that if they can price match and offer warranty then why not other brands?

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the whole thing stinks . They made it, they should cover the warranty no matter where in the world you purchased it or it breaks down. The whole thing is about getting out of honouring their tissue paper warranties and saving money.
    Keith.
    You're right on the money, this denial of warranty thing is anti-competative practice, if Nikon (and Canon for that matter) only want to sell via "authorised dealers" then why do they let others in on the action in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    if Nikon (and Canon for that matter) only want to sell via "authorised dealers" then why do they let others in on the action in the first place.
    Because a sale is a sale is a sale. Market share is what counts. I can assure you their global strategy takes into consideration grey market sales just as video game consoles' domination also depend on piracy as much as it does legitimate sales of games.

I can sort-of understand why they don't honour grey market warranties (they have no control over the product between the factory and the consumer) but it is also definitely a money-saving strategy. When you're lumped with a faulty grey-market $2K Nikon camera, it's a pretty sure bet you'll cough up the money to get it fixed. I only wonder though, whether your next camera is going to be another grey market Nikon, authorised Nikon... or a Canon???

The whole region issue is getting a bit ridiculous in this day-and-age though. I've read of people buying PC video games in their country of residence, then subsequently moving overseas and no longer being able to play the games they've paid for. It's a global economy, travel is much more affordable, and these sorts of issues are only going to compound. Too bad legislation takes years - or even decades - to catch up.
    --
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
    Nikon SB-700 Speedlight
    RRS BH-55 Ballhead & B2 AS II Clamp
    (no legs yet)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12