User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Strength of different flash units

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strength of different flash units

I think something finally "flashed" in my head late last night, after reading up on Speedlights.net that would kind of make sense as to why my shots are coming across with such flat / even light! And feeling a little silly if I am right!

Basically I am using 2 flash units in brolly's, if those 2 flash units have different guide numbers (for example I have been using my Metz 48 (GN 29) at 1/8 or even 1/4 as my key light, and a Yonghuno 560 (GN 39) at say 1/64 or even 1/128) That would more or less give even light wouldn't it? (I've guessed an example setting - so please bear that in mind - and I am only very new to this!)

I really SHOULD be using my YN560 as my main and the Metz as my fill shouldn't I??? I've tried many combinations of power settings, and without pumping out 1/2 or 1/1 through the metz I'm not having much luck creating the fill effect. Which sucks the power pretty quickly!

I will try it tonight, but is my thinking more on track if I swap the flash used for fill to the key? Of course then I would have to adapt the power settings of each flash gun....

Oh I hope this makes sense, because I am a little lost now lol... So much so that I'm waiting on studio strobes to arrive thinking I would be able to learn to light better with those! It won't be a waste, they will get used, but I could have saved some cash!
    Constructive Criticism always welcome - it's the only way to learn!
    A selection of my photo's can be seen here

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never was any good at mathematics so trying to work out guide numbers and power settings is al too much for me.

A light meter gives you the answer at the push of a button, is easily transported when you go on "location" with your speedlights and is very handy in a studio situation for measuring light at different parts of the composition. They aren't all that expensive and seem to be pretty reliable over a long time period.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The distance to subject is also relevant

If you are aiming at say a 1:3 traditional lighting ratio and if one flash is more powerful than another then yes, yiu have to take this into account. I don't think it really matters what flash is which as long as you can work out the ratios and guide numbers and subsequent lighting power settings,
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I think a light meter will be in my xmas wish list! I priced them the other day their not too bad.... oh well lenses will be later

Thanks Kiwi, I will give it a go and swap the main for the fill and see if I have any luck..... it's starting to do my head in (because I am NO good at maths either lol) hopefully it will make it easier for me to guage the light until I get a light meter!