User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Bathurst 1965

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathurst 1965

Over the last few days I've been going through some of my father's old slides from the 60's. He passed away in the 70's when I was a young bloke but had a keen interest in photography. Unfortunately he never had the chance to pass that on to me but I've obviously picked it up somewhere along the way, and from these shots, not only the photography.

Here's a few images from Bathurst in the good ol' days, April 1965 (about 4.5 years before I was born):

(Apologies for the watermarking, but you get the idea)

Bob Jane's Mustang coming across the top of the mountain through Skyline. Note the lack of fencing. On the other side of the track is a pretty sheer drop down the mountain.

Bob Jane again, with a pretty healthy crowd.

Spencer Martin in his Ferrari 250LM

I've long photographed motorsport but had never made it out to Bathurst. Nearly 45 years later I photographed Bathurst for the first time and found myself standing in almost exactly the same spot as the shot above. This isn't the best photo but the only wide shot I had that shows a similar angle and just how much it has changed.

Cheers,
    Dave

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memories

These shots bring back a lot of memories, Dave....I am about 10 years older than you and boy these shots knocked some dust off the back of my "brain box"...well done, Cheers
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant David! Back when the racing was real... Do you have more? I would pay to get these on a disc. I am a Bathurst tragic of 1973 vintage so just a bit younger than you. Your Dad captured "The Mountain" perfectly.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wonderful, wonderful stuff
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, they rbing back memories.

Yes, it was a real road race then, for cars as they were sold for the road. The modern version leaves me cold. We (Mum and I ) went to Bathurst in (I think from memory) 68 through to 71 when Mum was involved with CAMS and we knew a few race drivers. It was a much better race, IMHO, in the old days with the classes/divisions of the various engine capacity cars all racing together and no souped up machines that would never, in any sense of the words, be 'street legal'.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting how the track has changed (safety wise) Great shots
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for showing us those Dave. Not only does it let us look at the race of the past, it shows how much Australia has changed in general.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great seeing such old pics Dave
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing I found interesting going through the old slides is looking at photographs purely with a sense of nostalgia rather than the technical aspects of the photo itself, whether it's sharp, well composed etc. They don't have to be technically brilliant to tell a story.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing those Dave, the comparison of the same point on the track is excellent and also shows us how photography has progressed in leaps and bounds over a relatively short time frame.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are fabulous David. Not hard to see where you inherited you talent from... and those memories from Bathurst are terrific, too.
    Osprey Photography

Canon: 5D Mk II, 40D, 10D all gripped, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro and other assorted accessories.

Some stalk, some chase and some pursue... but I hunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave, those photos are simply great (1965 vintage in particular). I've got some 16mm film shot at the same time. Brings back memories. Wonderful.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a car nut fan these shots of your dad's are epic I trying to get footage from the great race pre 80's and its fantastic to see this old school stuff compare to today's over safety (I know that safety is paramount)but it shows all skill needed to be the best in that era TFS and yes please more from your dads collection and yours too

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great shots Dave,

For those who haven't realised they are from the Easter meeting on the mountain, not the 500 mile production car race which was held on October 3rd, 1965 and won by Barry Seton (father of Glenn).
    Here is a similar image but much poorer quality http://www.motorsportarchive.com/9Bo...r_1965_web.jpg

My father was racing Formula V around this time and attended Bathurst as part of a pit crew the following year. I spent most weekends at places like Warwick Farm, Catalina Park, Amaroo Park and Oran Park.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! SAFETY WS REALLY AN ISSUE BACK THEN WASNT IT

thanks for sharin those david

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How Bathurst has changed over the years. Crazy eh! They're great pics too!
    Nikon D60, 18-55mm & 55-200mm, SB900 Speedlight
    Also cute and Fluffy!