Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: twin lens reflex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

twin lens reflex

I'm thinking of getting a TLR camera off ebay... I've read somewhere on the forum that somebody got his for $25 but, none of the ebay ones are that cheap. Are there other places to look for these camera? Which brand would you recommend?
    I was looking at the Lubitel ones and the Yashica ones...

Nikon D700 in all it's glory!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Seagull (Chinese) and the lens is superb. I purchased it from an auction of a deceased estate online. It is for sale for $100 if you are interested, but I sort of don't care if I sell it or not, I've been on and off about it for a while! I'm just not finding any use for film any more.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont get a Seagull don't get an early Yashica don't a 'cord don't get a Lubitel!

Get a Yashica 124/G or a Rolleiflex or a Mamiya C. Trust me on this. I've been through cheap TLRs and they are something you don't want to bother messing around with. The good ones are great though. There have been heaps of f2.8 Rolleiflex going on RFF for $500 recently and I saw a Yashica Mat 124G go for $200 on ebay. In my opinion the best TLR for function is the Mamiya C330, but it is huge and heavy.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my... hahaha.... Hmm... are the results really that bad? Is it cos there is alot of distortion in the cheap TLRs? Or the pictures just come out blurry?
    I'm looking at the yashica 635 for about $150... not sure if this is early model of the brand?
    I'll keep a look out at the ones you have suggested. Was thinking of buying the body of the Mamiya C330 and then buy the lens? Would the lens be very expensive?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krzys View Post
    Dont get a Seagull don't get an early Yashica don't a 'cord don't get a Lubitel!

Get a Yashica 124/G or a Rolleiflex or a Mamiya C. Trust me on this. I've been through cheap TLRs and they are something you don't want to bother messing around with. The good ones are great though. There have been heaps of f2.8 Rolleiflex going on RFF for $500 recently and I saw a Yashica Mat 124G go for $200 on ebay. In my opinion the best TLR for function is the Mamiya C330, but it is huge and heavy.
    Sorry, Krzys, while the ones you say to get are the better ones, the Seagull is a good camera. Mine takes great shots and they are all sharp as.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Yashica 635 with the Yashikor lens and it takes excellent shots. It is hard to beat a 6 X 6 cm negative. Mine also has the 35mm kit with it but I have never bothered trying to take 35mm film with it. I'll use my 35mm SLRs for that.

The Yashica 635 was produced from 1958. Not sure when production ceased. You can find more information and manuals here: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/yashica635.html and here:http://www.butkus.org/chinon/yashica...ashica_635.htm and here: http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/yashica635/
    Ray Allen.

Pentax K10D, DA 18-55, DA 50-200, Tamron Di LD Macro 70-300, Tamron SP Di II 10-24, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP, Asahi Pentax SP1000, assorted Super-Takumar & SMC screw-mount lenses. Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod + 804RC2 Head, 680B Monopod + 234RC Head.
    Software used: PS CS3 Extended/CS5 Extended, ACR 6.3, Lightroom 3.3, NIK Software plug-ins, FastStone 4.2, ACDSee 10, SilverFast Ai.
    My Flickr Images | My Web Site | Owner of Yahoo! Spotmatic Group
    For 350+ blood/plasma donations to Red Cross

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yashica 635 is a decent camera. Seagull is terrible. Goto any message board, 90% of topics will be 'my Seagull's shutter broke'. There is a Mamiya C220 with 60mm f4 on ebay for $350 right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Lubitel is a good cheap way to find out if TLR is the way you want to go. And the results aren't all that bad, from experience.
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just against recommending a camera that has such a high probability of breaking. A friend of mine was given a Lubitel by an old exgirlfriend which he later found out to be stolen. He managed to contact the owner who told him to keep it. The second time he used it the shutter broke.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all for your replies. I am currently bidding on a yashica 124g... i hope i get it for less than $100... keke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wont, I tried. Most likely some Japanese will bid it up if its going good. Always happens.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh! -sobs-
    -cross fingers and toes-
    Hey Krzys, have you ever posted shots from your TLR camera?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Ray for the links.... I actually like the Yashica 635... It looks like a sturdy camera... except for the fact that you have to remember to cock the shutter... hmm... i'm alittle forgetful! keke...
    Today, i forgot to rewind the film in my camera and opened the back instead! -sobs- all my rubbish BW shots... -sobs-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh I posted this

Yashica D, it gets soft wide open at f3.5

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a great Mamiya C220, would be an option too no? One thing to look out for on these old camera's: make sure you get one that's still light-proof. The seals degrade over time and may need replacement. Also, the springs may need to be replaced. I bought mine a couple of years ago completely refurbished, paid ca. $75 for it. But it works great!.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a good price for a Mamiya C220, body alone. What lens?

The C330 adds a wind crank and parallax corrector.

TLRs are good because you can easily use duct tape on the back seals if unsure.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the standard Sekor 80/2.8 on it. It was quite an experience to work with the first couple of times!

Get one with a manual if you can find it - there are a couple of tricks that you need to be aware of when shooting the C220 (focal distance has an impact on exposure for example ).

With the C330, one doesn't need to cock the shutter separately from the film advance either does it?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get yours from? Ebay?
    I'm looking on ebay to see if i can get a good deal... otherwise i will be getting the yashica 124G from somebody on another forum for $192 or was it $197? Either one...
    But i think it's an alright deal since other people are selling it for about $300 - $350.. I just hope the light meter is working... -cross fingers-

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine through APUG. The seller had 4 or 5 of these and wanted to find a good home for them. I actually had to show him what type of 'tog I was before he sold it

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately i was outbid by $2!!!! ARGH!
    Anybody interested in buying my pentax so i can fund the TLR? keke...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast