User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: PhotoShop Elements guidance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PhotoShop Elements guidance

I recently downloaded the trial version of PhotoShop Elements 8 to see if I feel comfortable with using it before spending the money - I have had a bit of a play around with a couple of photos to see what it is capable of but as I'm still fairly new to this game was hoping to get some feedback on one of the images I have altered to see if I'm on the right track (the second attachment is the original image) ...or am I going overboard with the brightness etc?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For me the second photo is much better. it has a nice range from dark shadow to white, whilst your edited version is much brighter, it loses the shadows. A good photo has a range from shading from black through to white. Sometimes a photos doesn't need much done to it and less is more.

Learn how to use the histogram (levels adjustment) in elements to get a nice range from pure black to white in your final photos.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Rick - I hadn't really thought of the image in that way...I will keep playing around with Elements (especially the historgram!) and will see what I can come up with

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look at members photos on here. Look at how the ones that grab you have a nice range of shades in the photo, from a nice rich black through to a white(ish). The human eye and brain seems to get a sense that they are better for some reason.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just on that, instead of purchasing version 8 which is not much different from 7 as I understand it. You could buy a Wacom Tablet and get Adobe Elements 7 Free(It may be 8 now, I bought mine a little while ago.) You get 2 for the price of 1

I bought the Bamboo Pen+Touch from their website.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rick, the original is much better. And yes if you're asking yourself if you have gone overboard with the brightness, then you probably have. In this case you definately have!

I use PSE7 and find it very good. Do some searches on the internet, there are some great tutorials out there. Many of the Photoshop CS3/CS4 tutes will also apply to PSE too.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go and look at some of the English Photo Magazines at the newsagents, a lot of them have a free disc with PS & PSE video tutorials, also images you can download and use to follow along with the tutorials.
    Bob

Canon user - 60D, 18-55, 55-250mm, Sigma 10-20mm Tamron 70-300,
    Tamron 90mm (macro) Olympus FE310 Nikon Coolpix B700

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for all your words of wisdom - it has been a great help to me when I have contined with my experimenting in PSE as well as looking at different versions available...

I have had a go at PP with a few more images that I took whilst overseas and would live everyone's opinion as to whether I'm starting to get the hang of it or if I'm still going overboard in some areas?..again, original photo is first with PP image second

Thanks in advance

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And another set...