It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davesmith View Post
    But when it's said that AP is supported and tested on IE it's a shame that the experience is less than satisfactory now. Having said that, as Kym said though, apparently it's a fault of IE. As I also said though, I never had the same problem on IE6.
    I'm good but I cannot fix MS IE .
    vBulletin is built to support all modern browsers, we won't make AP an IE only site either, and I'm not sure that would actually make much difference
    BTW the primary reason for IE slowness is MS trying to keep backward non-standard MS support while attempting to support the W3c standards at the same time.

As I said above we have all sensible optimisations turned on, and regarding the vB inefficient HTML - it is compressed in transit and cached (365 days time-out).

There are things to improve IE performance - as stated above you will need to do some research (Google) and hack into the registry (which is a risk of course).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you would have to agree that vBulletin still writes pretty ugly code, Kym. Without actually measuring it, I'd estimate around twice the size it ought to be, or perhaps four times the size of a carefully hand-optimised site. Compression is all very well, but the best solution is to write neat, efficient code in the first place.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. vBulletin is no worse than most code generators and a lot better than some (can we say "Frontpage"?), and there are many, many reasons why it is an excellent choice for a site like this one. In fact, I suspect that VB is the best of all choices available today.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using FF from the beginning and haven't seen IE since version 5 me thinks

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flock is another interesting browser that some people here may like. It carries a bit more bloat than other browsers as it links into all of your social networking sites too and presents you with a home page of all recent updates in flickr, picasa, facebook, livejournal, gmail, myspace, twitter, etc, etc associated with your accounts and RSS feeds. It also uses the same gecko rendering engine as firefox (and identifies as firefox 3.0 to websites) and is compatible with firefox extensions for mouse gestures, etc.

This is clearly not an ideal browser for someone that wants a lightning speed startup time, but for those that spend a little too much time on social and news related activities - once configured, it can be a huge timesaver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safari is actually a far better browser, though most will disagree. Other than photography, I do a lot of bleeding edge web dev, and atm only Safari is HTML 5 compat.

Also, it has far less memory leaks :P.

Still have the last version of Phoenix, which runs stupidly faster than Firefox.
    Last edited by remin; 31-12-2009 at 1:01pm.
    Canon EOS 300V (Film)
    Sony A6400
    flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    additionally, firefox is colour profile aware and the only mainstream brower on wintel that is (opera, IE and chrome are not). important for everyone, and particularly for anyone with a high gamut monitor.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by remin View Post
    Safari is actually a far better browser, though most will disagree. Other than photography, I do a lot of bleeding edge web dev, and atm only Safari is HTML 5 compat.
    Also, it has far less memory leaks :P.
    Still have the last version of Phoenix, which runs stupidly faster than Firefox.
    Safari, Opera etc. are good no question. But Firefox is open source and has lots of plugins and that works for me.

HTML 5 is interesting but a long way off. Until most browsers support it there is not much point in using it.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, and for reasons unknown, Firefox has been somewhat slower for me lately (but still quicker than IE8). Having a few issues with mouse-clicks not responding etc but I don't know if this is a browser issue or something else again...

I pretty much use Firefox 98% of the time now yet my partner will not even try to get use to the layout/tabs/bookmarks instead of favourites and she still prefers IE8.

Actually that last line brings a question to mind - does anyone else not get their full favourites list displayed in Firefox's Bookmarks? A lot of my IE8 Favourites list does not appear in Firefox Bookmarks list....
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    die hard opera user here too tannin

I can report no issues using the browser with this site.
    i also occasionally use fire fox and it works great too.... MS are gunna need to do something really special to get peeps back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox and Linux . There are other browsers???
    I'm Garry . Pentax K5 IIs + Kx, and a bag full of other gear.
    Critique is welcome as is PP with details.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43734466@N07/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mainly use opera, so much faster. was using ff for years still do on the pc
    E-620 and to many lenses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12