User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Monopod To Buy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Benro tripod but i couldnt stop the leg locks from slipping so i opted for another brand with the monopod.

I got this one and i love it.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
    pollen,
    i've also been looking for a monopod for travelling and been wondering how sturdy those monopods with the extra little legs. Are they sturdy enough to hold themselves up? does it have to be on a dead flat surface??. So i'm guessing from your photo you're confident enough to leave it standing by itself???

(OP, sorry to hijack your thread!)
    Hi it does shake around a bit but it does hold. It won't fall by itself, but I would be a bit worried using it in heavy wind. The thing about the monopod is that it is very heavy. With the ballhead, it is heavier than my Gitzo Traveller Tripod, so it is stable in that regard. But the legs are way too thin and short, and I wouldn't trust leaving it by itself.

I have taken group photos with it (with me in it), and I do leave it indoors when I know that nobody else will be around, but that's about it.

Yeah it works best for flat surfaces, on hills and stuff it's not too good

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    I find the head adds a lot more flexibility and ease of use in confined spaces in particular. I no longer use my monopod without a head.
    Putting a head on the mono would also add a fair bit of extra weight too right? I was lugging around my tripod last night looking for xmas lights and noticed that even with a tripod having a ballhead added on the kgs

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My monopod weighs 297g and my ball head complete with quick release plate weighs 132g for an all up weight of 429g. Not exactly adding on the kgs. Small ball heads without a quick release plate weigh in at around 100g.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :O !!!

297g! 132g! *Drool*

My monopod weighs 1.15 KG and my Ballhead weighs 650 grams

My Tripod weighs 970 grams

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to bring this thread resurrected back from the dead, but Ive finally got around to shopping around for my own monopod!

Looking around at the Gitzo and Manfrotto models (some of the ones listed above), why are most of them so short? They seem to top out at around 160cm. Im about 190cm so Im worried Im going to be stooped over trying to take a photo with one of these now?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember you body gives you maybe 100mm from the mounting plate to the viewfinder, and your eye isn't on top of your head either. But yes should get a tall one, you can always adjust it down a bit, whereas you can't make one that is too short any taller!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaidin View Post
    Looking around at the Gitzo and Manfrotto models (some of the ones listed above), why are most of them so short? They seem to top out at around 160cm. Im about 190cm so Im worried Im going to be stooped over trying to take a photo with one of these now?
    Unless you are a snail, your eyes are around 13 to 15cm down from the top of your head.

Pull a ball head on monopod and you add around 7 to 10cm, or a standard head, 9 to 12cm.

As noted in another post, add 10cm for the viewfinder above the base plate. If using live view, well that is only 5cm to the centre of the LCD.

Consequently, a monopond with head (and I would really recommend a small head for a monopod) that is 160cm should be just fine for a 190cm lad like yourself. Why don't you head down to a photo store and give them a test drive.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep all good points guys, thanks for responding

I might take a look at a quick release head to pair with one.

haha yes you are correct, Im not a snail and my eyes are not on the top of my head

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Manfrotto is popular? Can you advise what the difference is between Manfrotto 680B and 681B Monopod?

I need one for a Nikon D90 for sport photography,mainly kids football and motor car shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will the 681B suit a Nikon D90? and would you recommend over the 4 section 680B model as I think the 680B is smaller in length?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What lens do you have ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a manfrotto 681B monopod last week,but I feel its not going to get much use for the type of photography I do.

I am going to put it up for sale,if anyone is interested send a PM.
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12