Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old lenses::::::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old lenses::::::

Hi all
    If I wanted to use some older screw type lenses what would be the name of the adaptor I would need? Any idea where I could get one from locally?
    cheers
    Jan

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best option is eBay, although the local Camera House here in Adelaide has (had?) one.
    FYI MattC uses an adapter.
    There are two types, the really cheap ones that have issues and a proper one that does the job.
    M42 to K-mount is what your looking for.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some use a "T" mount system - very cheap to buy.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahah thats it the m42 to k mount...........not sure what a t mount does?
    I am looking at a 1:35 25mm of dads...it has a broken housing but seem to be just the lense that needs to screw into ???? something. The back/housing seem to be a cap of some sort as it is solid flat plastic........no wonder I packed these away! I have no logical idea of what they are!
    cheers
    Jan

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan, do not throw them away. Post some pictures of them and the mounts if you can.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to wait untill my camera arrives! the p&s is dead and about to be buried!
    I actually seem to be missing some stuff that may have got lost in house moves over the last few years. I thought I had some bellows somewhere but the seem to have gone walkies
    cheers
    jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try TradeMe in New Zealand also
    Alive and still clicking - apologies to PSQ.
    Living and working in the Roaring Forties
    Assorted cameras of all sizes and shapes including Pentax K (the original), MX, Z1,K20D; 50mm 1.2, 35mm 2.0, 85mm 1.8

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the camera and the mount. Note that not all cameras will allow screw mount lenses to work properly.

Some screw mounts commonly available are:

C-mount (25mm)

Leica 39mm or M39. Frequently referred to as Leica screw mount. Also used by Canon, some old Nikons and lots of others. Very popular mount for old rangefinder cameras. Generally you won't be able to use these on a dSLR unless you are doing macro work as you cannot get them close enough to the focal plane. Same applies to C-mount above.

42mm or M42 used on many older SLRs including old Pentax cameras. Very common. This may be the same as T-mount - it isn't an area of my interest so someone may be able to confirm that.

T-2 mount is used for Telescopes. It is still 42mm but has a different thread pitch and distance to focal plane.

Anyway, have fun with the old lens and if you like to play with it, buying old lenses on eBay and dabbling with them can be cheap and bring lots of smiles.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, eBay is an excellent source for adapters. Generally around $25 to $50 for most.

I particularly recommend FotoDiox in the US as reasonable price and outstanding service for adapters, hoods and stepping rings. http://myworld.ebay.com.au/fotodiox_gear/

RJ Camera (aka Jinfinance) is another popular source of cheap adapters. I have bought from them

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/RJ-ca...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can buy directly from Kennedys go to www.pentax.com.au, most camera shops can order for you as they are a current item etc
    K7, Pentax DA35Ltd, DA70Ltd, DA18-55WR, DA50-200WR, SMC-K 400f5.6; Sigma 8-16mm; Super TakumarM42 20f4.5, 24f3.5, 28f3.5, 35f3.5, 55f1.8, 135f3.5, SMC 200f4, SMC 85-210f4.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danger! Danger!

The T-mount is M42 x 0.75mm. The Pentax Screw Mount is M42 x 1mm. The second number is the pitch. If you try & screw one to the other, you will need a hacksaw. I know this to be true by the ultimate teacher.

And if you can get Kennedy's to return e-mails or 'phone calls on getting the Pentax K - M42 adapter, please let me know, because I'm bxxxd if I can.

You can't get them from the USA. The one's on e-bay can be unreliable & not able to achieve infinity focus.

What I want to do is get hold of a genuine Pentax one & measure it. Then get the one's from E-bay & machine accordingly.

So, if anyone has a genuine one out there & is close to Cronulla, please let me come & take some measurements. I'll then report in this forum after I've completed the above.
    Last edited by jibbonpoint; 19-05-2010 at 6:53pm. Reason: More info, add a few smiley's

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are serious about getting the M42 - K mount for a Pentax, can I suggest that you forget E-Bay and the like and just go Straight to CR Kennedy, the Australian importer and get the one they sell.

About $45.00 and WILL work

My father bought one from E-Bay, was about $25.00, didn't work, yes the lens fitted, but lost infinity focus.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    If you are serious about getting the M42 - K mount for a Pentax, can I suggest that you forget E-Bay and the like and just go Straight to CR Kennedy, the Australian importer and get the one they sell.

About $45.00 and WILL work

As I said in my post above yours MarkChap, I can't get a response from CRK; that may be because they don't sell direct. Perhaps you need to go to your local store & ask them to order it for you. However, you seem quite definite that you can purchase direct from CRK so I will call tomorrow (again). Maybe you know something I don't.

Funnily enough, I have found CRK to be fantastic on some issues but I can't get any response on this one.

To the OP:-

There are some amazing lenses out there in M42 mount; the Super Tak 50mm 1.4 & Super Tak 135 3.5 which I have & plenty of others. I believe that Pentax use the same formula today or at least up to the FA's for the 50mm 1.4.

I believed that I had a genuine adapter but coudn't get infinity. I bought an Helios 50mm f2 44M4 M42 & still couldn't get it. A treatment with an oilstone on the adapter & voila; infinity on both.

Now, you need an adapter for each lens. Well, I do anyway; it's a pain unscrewing the lens, removing the adapter to attach the K mount lens you may want to use next & then reversing the process; you will get sick of it & then won't use them. If you have, say 5 x M42 lenses = $230 for the genuine adapters. (I have three but only two adapters + a T-Mount & I use all of them. I also have a couple of Tamron adaptall 2's all with their own dedicated mount)

The adapters on e-bay are from about $8. If you can shave or shim them, then it's a great saving.

BTW, the Zenit Hellios referred to above has it's own dedicated fans as I found out later. I bought it to check the adapter

So, if I haven't lost you Ricstew or anyone else, that's why I'd like to measure an existing unit or buy (another) genuine one. As much to satisfy my curiosity as to have all the Taks ready to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbonpoint View Post
    Danger! Danger!

So, if anyone has a genuine one out there & is close to Cronulla, please let me come & take some measurements. I'll then report in this forum after I've completed the above.
    Firstly, let me say that my above proposition was naive in the extreme; obviously you should never let a stranger into your abode, particularly one that threatens to brandish a micrometer.

Secondly & finally, CR Kennedy will not supply the above adapter; (I was able to contact them) they wholesale. You have to order them through your local store. They do, currently have, stock.

I have just ordered one through Digidirect at Miranda at a cost of $99

That is correct $99

Anyway, if it will give you full use of those wonderful old lenses, it's worth it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there you go, I am sure that my dad got his Direct from Kennedy's in Brissy, hmmm, have to double check that now.

I am also sure it was way less than $99.00, have to check that as well

Don't want to give out any more dodgy information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post

I am also sure it was way less than $99.00, have to check that as well

I'll bet it was too. It's US$50 but you can't get it sent to an overseas address.

Anyway, I've been trying to get my hands on an original for so long that I just put my hands up, paid cash because I couldn't stand the double shock of looking at it on my credit card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two m42 k adapters third party from ebay, have had no issues yet. Dont get the ones that have a flange you will lose infinity focus. The ones I got fit flush with the mount and have been using on K10d and K1000(film).

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a m42 to nikon F-mount on eaby for alot less than the prices mentioned above... they are cheap as!

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up a genuine M42 Asahi Pentax for less than $20 from the states

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, I see thos arapters on TradeMe here at a LOT less than $99.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast