User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: What do I need!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do I need!

I'm just getting started in my career and have close to no idea what sort of equipment I need.
    I'm doing Pregnancy, Newborn and baby photography. Some will be done inside my not yet finished studio and some outside.

In your opinion, what equipment is best for me (what type of canon camera, lenses,studio lighting and equipment ect). There is so much I need as I'am basically starting from scratch. I now own a Canon D400, 85mm, macro 100mm f1.8, and a sturdy tripod. I'm aware the list could go on and on here but just to give me some sort of idea.

Cheers

lani

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id suggest a 7D, 85 f/1.2, alienbees studio lights, white and black backdrops and $20000 worth of other gear, insurance, a business plan, accounting advice you name it

Its very hard to put a start and finish on it

What cant you do now would be a good place to start ?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, but in my heart of hearts I have to ask

If you do not know what gear you need, are you sure you are ready to making a business of photography.

What are you trying to achieve that your current gear can't do ??
    Is budget a big concern ??
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    I don't know, but in my heart of hearts I have to ask

If you do not know what gear you need, are you sure you are ready to making a business of photography.

What are you trying to achieve that your current gear can't do ??
    Is budget a big concern ??
    I agree with Mark. If you do not have an understand of what gear is needed, then I too, feel you might be trying to progress into photography as a business, way to quickly.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Mark too, you could buy everything we suggest, and be $1000's out of pocket to realize you might only use 20% of the stuff, the fact that you're asking us is quite clear you're far from being ready, especially when you don't tell us the size of your studio, or anything more in-depth.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a 'How long is a piece of string' question there, Lani. As Gregg said, you could be spending heaps on stuff you don't need.

May I suggest you kick off your business with the equipment you currently have and just buy whatever equipment as you need them? The main thing is to focus on your business and build on a client base before spending big...unless you just won lotto
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ can't argue with any of the above. Post some pics that you have already taken, pregnancy, landscape, portrait, new born, architectural. It will all help with feedback.And give us an idea of you current photographic skills
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you want to do photography professionally? And I guess, why should anyone pay you? (Could be a good reason)
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seastorm View Post
    It's a 'How long is a piece of string' question there, Lani. As Gregg said, you could be spending heaps on stuff you don't need.

May I suggest you kick off your business with the equipment you currently have and just buy whatever equipment as you need them? The main thing is to focus on your business and build on a client base before spending big...unless you just won lotto
    If this is the case, my consultant fees cost $1000 an hour, but I will tell you what you need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these threads pop up about once every 6 weeks on average I reckon ....

sorry to be blunt, but you are NOWHERE near ready to start a professional photography business if you need to ask these questions here.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone,

I'm sorry as I havent made myself at all clear and have just realised I should have used the beginners forum. I dont intend to actually start the business for quite sometime yet as I realise there is alot I need to learn. I have just started a diploma in photography and know that this is the career path I want to take (especially in Pregnancy, newborn and baby).
    I was interested for future purposes.

Sorry for all of the confusion

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That puts it a slightly different light Lani, getting on here, asking and learning what is required is a smart way to begin rather than jumping in feet first and being disappointed.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absorb as much information as you can, from a variety of sources (including AP). A marketing course can also be of benefit, as could a small business course that looks at records keeping, contracts and accounting. Running a photography business is about 20% photography.

Good luck on your chosen path.

Post some photos on AP, and you will get good critique that will also help you improve your photography along the way as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit of encouragement

Nothing wrong with forward thinking,but me thinks you are trying to go in way too fast.
    Slow down, do your course and see how you go, by all means take practice pics of friends family or whatever,maybe earn a few $$ along the way, and hone your skills through your studies, put into practice what you learn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    work on your photography bloody hard for three years, then youll be ready

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great advice. I reckon I might even take a bit longer, just to be sure. I would rather have a great reputation from the start.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani Schlink View Post
    Thats great advice. I reckon I might even take a bit longer, just to be sure. I would rather have a great reputation from the start.
    This is the right way to think about it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck work it
    Canon 7D with various lenses...

Zoom In With Eden Photography http://zoominwitheden.com