User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

View Poll Results: Membership... I am...

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neither

53 88.33%
  • AIPP Member

6 10.00%
  • Both ACMP and AIPP Member

1 1.67%
  • ACMP Member

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ACMP v AIPP - why 2? why join?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ACMP v AIPP - why 2? why join?

We have two professional photography bodies in Australia. ACMP and AIPP

I am not a member of either. I am interested in the pro/con of each (without getting into a slanging match).

Are you a member of one or both?

What benefits does membership lead to?

Why don't they merge?
    Surely a single professional voice would be better for lobbying the Govt etc.
    (If this is too much of a can of worms - then don't air dirty laundy on AP )
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've often thought of joining AIPP. I think it does good work. But, my problem with it is that it's imho there to really support professionals rather than amatuers that do a bit of pro work.

But, it's only my opinion.

ACMP I thought was mainly for news/commercial photographers.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why is there a choice between Nikon and Canon...

cos there is a choice...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, don't forget APS...

www.a-p-s.org.au

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    oh, don't forget APS...
    www.a-p-s.org.au
    I am aware of APS but was focused on the 'professional' organisations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but didn't you want one united lobbyist, and therefore wouldn't it make sense to include the mass market of photographic enthusiasts ? A lot more mum & dad voters there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have not attended any ACMP events, so have no opinion there.

AIPP, I have attended several events over the years and have learnt from the experience. The most informative event I attended was a morning course on how to do the role of a judge at an AIPP event. The morning consisted of a talk, some discussion, then presentation of a series of photos and explanation of how the judges come to a final score. We then got to have a go at a 'mock' judging.

Then in the afternoon, members were selected to take on the role of Judge (in a panel of 5), to determine Photographer of the Year, at a State level.

I got a lot from that day!

However, maybe it is because Tasmania is small, behind the scenes the petty remarks between photographers about other professionals was concerning for me. I tend to say what I think, and I do not really care if you are the most respected photographer in Aus, I will have my opinion and I am willing to state it, directly to you. I found the back-stabbing and snide remarks quite off-putting, where they would then be all 'happy to see you' when the actual person walked up. I do not know if that happens in each State. I still attend AIPP events here occasionally, but avoid any discussion about other photographers. Preferring to walk off and grab a cuppa, than get involved in that type of discussion.

Now that the 'personal' side of my experience is out of the way, the professional side of the AIPP is very much worth it. You can tap into a wealth of knowledge, experience and learn a great deal. It can be a very rewarding organisation to join.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My second attempt - almost finished my first response and I had a power cut !

OK I'm a member of both. I'm also a member of Royal Photographic Society, British Institute of Professional Photography, SWPP, and BPPA.

So, clearly, I'm "into" being involved and seeing the benefits of being a member of photographic associations.

In all honesty, the benefits listed on the AIPP website, give a fairly clear indication that on those alone, its money well spent.

And thats before you consider the networking and friendly support from one member to another. Tassie has a good record of producing super efficient AIPP National Presidents. And at the moment a very bright Alice Bennett, from Tassie, is the the current AIPP National President. I'm very confident she's already moving the AIPP up to a whole new level of support. AIPP have just employed a full time Executive Officer in a very positive step towards increasing benefits and the reach of AIPP.

Its not only what you get from organisations such as AIPP, but also its a classic case of you get more back if you get involved. Getting involved means you get more back. Very simple really.

Why isnt there one organisation ? Yeah well ideal world there would be. But it would seem that there is a hardcore minority of both organisations that prefer to have their own camps. Doesnt mean that they dont work together - sometimes. As it happens ACMP was formerly known as FACE, and was "born" from AIPP as a funded and approved separate group.

As it happens I've been State President or Representative for both AIPP and ACMP, and have also been National Vice President and Board Member for both AIPP, and ACMP. I remain a working (ie I put my hand up for voluntary roles) member for both organisations.

Its definitely worth noting that there is a considerable difference between the numbers of membership - AIPP has I believe in the region of 2,500 members with some considerable growth over the past few years (and there is a very good reason for that which I'll come to later - and will address Kiwi's point/opinion), and that membership is very evenly spread across Australia. ACMP on the other hand has a much smaller membership ranging from 300-400 members - their membership base is more concentrated and the majority of its members are primarily Melbourne based.

As Rick has found, AIPP meetings, seminars etc, tend to be very friendly and always informative. As I've been fortunate enough to attend AIPP events in many other states, including Tasmania as a guest speaker, I can assure you that similar experiences can be had all around the country. Its not just a Tassie thing I'd urge people to go to one if they know its on (check AIPP event calendar or AIPP divisions calendar to see whats on) - you can often go to these events even if you're not a member, it just costs a little more - which you'll always find will be cheaper than a straight commercial style seminar/event.

Kiwi to address your feeling/opinion. I'd have to disagree with you. IMHO, AIPP have over the past few years, addressed the issue of part time photographers, or people who have multi careers, and its now possible to join AIPP on many levels - even if you're not a working photographer , but just enjoy taking pictures. That wasnt the case ten years ago. As I've said to you several times, the small annual investment would be money well spent even if you're "an amateur that does a bit of pro work". And without wanting to start another very in depth discussion I totally disagree with that, as that statement is a complete contradiction. You cant be an amateur if you're doing pro work in my book So keeping this brief, if you want to sell your work, aspire to even a weekend work which you want to sell, or go into it full time, then join.

ACMP is not just for commercial photographers. Equally AIPP is not just for wedding and portrait. In all honesty AIPP have the numbers that demonstrate that it not only truly represents a wide gamut of professionals, semi professionals, and yes non professionals. So if you need to select either one or the other - despite my history with both, and despite my choice to support both, then join AIPP.

The networking, the education possibilities, the sharing of knowledge, the support, these are all things that are sometimes forgotten when people are listing the material benefits. There is also the possibility of standing up, taking part and making a difference. So when you see something that irks you, something that you think is unfair, unjust or simply wrong; you can take part and make a difference, and make the effort to make a change. And thats not just for yourself, but for the mutual benefit of all in the photographic community - and that importantly is not just for members of your chosen photographic association.

So yes join You're not just helping yourself, but supporting others.
    Last edited by Longshots; 15-12-2009 at 9:00am.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, quite true, me saying im an amateur that does pro work I agree is a bit like saying im only an alcoholic in the weekends

I will join AIPP, I just haven't internally justified the investment (not just money but I believe you have to put in time to receive benefit, and time is the killer for me at the momenbt). I like the AIPP ideals, benefits and networking opportunities.

There's the emerging member type that would interest me, but, I might be emerging for a lot longer than 2 years, lol

As you can see here on AP, there are hundreds on AP probably charging a little, some a lot for their work and there are very few members of AIPP. That's the opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I agree. But its an opportunity for AP members as well as an opportunity for the organisations AIPP have already made changes to recognise and open their doors to part timers. So now the opportunity is there for the taking

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William - Thanks for you post - very informative.

There are a few AP members who might get benefit from the AIPP, so the information is helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant to add - which was on my original lost post - I would be happy to answer any questions and assist anyone interested in joining AIPP - either contact me here, or via my contact details on my website - www.longshots.com.au

Or you can always phone the helpful staff at AIPP National Office:
    Telephone 03 9329 0044
    Email admin@aipp.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William, re the emerging member, is the two year restriction on that membership likely to stay ? The alternative categories seem quite a big jump if you are only ever really a weekend warrior at best

I know we've talked about this before but it might be useful to get your views on this here too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    re the emerging member, there is definitely a two year limit and thats it.

What its designed for (and something I lobbied for for some time) is to give those who joined as students, and gave them a transition to full members.

OK I see your point about the big jump, but then again there are already a lot of semi pros or part timers as full members who will quite happily support the issue of the worth of AIPP full membership. Quite simply its one of those things that as you will see in the real listed benefits, the full member easily gets their subs back. Now if you look at the savings on Insurance alone, that will help you justify the full membership costs.

I see it as the same as owning a decent car - ie its the same cost to everyone, doesnt matter how much or how little you use it. At the end of the day, it gives the same pleasure and the same benefits.

Or perhaps a better analogy - Canon didnt sell you their lovely 400mm lense on the basis that you paid less for it then a full time sports shooter did they ?

On the reduced Emerging members - each member joining as an Emerging Member does actually cost the AIPP - ie they end up supplying more than they gain in income. So in fairness, and I think to appease people like me who pleaded for a stepping stone approach from the student members, you're either a member or not.

So at the end of the day I see your point, but I also need you and others to understand that the membership fees are a really good investment, no matter your level of interest in photography.
    Last edited by Longshots; 15-12-2009 at 5:01pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, i use nikon, but, nice analogy and all very sensible

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So can you join as an Emerging, and become a Registered Subscriber after 2 years?

This gives a try before you buy option! (sort of)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think you can. I cant see why not. I would definitely check with National Office for a definitive answer though.

And Kiwi - you use what ???? !!!!! Just kidding You bit though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hook line and sinker

I think the class of membership "lacking" would be "semi pro", or "part time", or "income earning enthusiast", "weekend warrior", uyou get the point I just cant define the right title, where only say <20% of your income is derived from photography

You obviously would be positioned somewhere similar to emerging member, perhaps not receive benefits like insurance, but can still use AIPP resources and networks

There has to be huge potential in engaging those who will never be FT or even half-time pro's but still want to act ethically and in harmony with others in the industry

Maybe around the $200 pa mark

I know I'd bite, again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent response.

I would ask AP members to suggest what they would like AIPP to provide.

I'm not sure they could go as low as $200 Darren. But thats not up to me.

Its worth saying that the insurance discount is from the Insurer or Broker and not something that is a cost to AIPP.

However it would be helpful for them to read AP members suggestions. So I'd urge others to say what would encourage them to join an association.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AIPP stands for Australian Institute of Professional Photography Does AIPP want to water down the Professional part of that title?

I agree that some who's photography makes them very little income would be worthwhile members, however, once you drop your requirements, the flood-gates might open and it could create more issues than it is worth. I also wonder if those new members getting a 'cheap' membership, would not end up being the very ones who use your resources more than the fully paid up Pro member.

I reckon serious consideration should be given to the idea by the AIPP, but it also needs serious evaluation as it may ultimately be the most expensive 'per member' to maintain.

I find this interesting that we (subjective) often have a moan about those undercutting the industry by doing weddings etc for $200.00 (example only), are then wanting the professional body to discount its membership fees. Seems we want it both ways at times.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast