User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Print sizing - am I being stupid?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Print sizing - am I being stupid?

Hi,

I have searched the forum and cannot find a solution to my problem. Hopefully you can help me solve my problem.

Situation: Photo taken with Canon 5D2, 24-105L at 50mm. This produces a RAW image that is 5616 x 3744 pix or 23.4 x 15.6 inches.

Problem: I want to produce a 10x8 print but no matter how I try I cannot get the image I want (the child and toys). It simply will not fit them in on the long axis.

I have come across this several times recently and it is frustrating me, surely there is a way to fit this onto a 10x8?

Files attached: Original pic (reduced for web but not cropped) and screenshot of what a 10x8 landscape crop gives me.

All advice appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. The way I do it in photoshop (much easier with Lightroom!) is to crop to my longest edge first and along the edge I want to keep. I then go to Image/Canvas size and multiply the longest edge x 0.8 (8/10) to get the length of my shortest edge and poke that into the field for the shorter edge. Then resize if necessary. Maybe there's an easier way though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why 10x8? 12x8 is standard too. I had a print done yesterday at 12x8 cause i had the same problem with 10x8 cropping out the edges.

jj

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to photographer and photos ratios which has been the bug bear for many many years.

from this image you can not make a 8 x 10 [1.25 to 1] photo; you need to make it an 8 x 12 or 6 x 9 [1.33 to 1 ratio]

most printed photos will receive some cropping from the original file. Best tip is to photography everything reasonable loosely [leave some space around the subject] and do the final crop with puter.

hope that helps

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Welcome to photographer and photos ratios which has been the bug bear for many many years.

from this image you can not make a 8 x 10 [1.25 to 1] photo; you need to make it an 8 x 12 or 6 x 9 [1.33 to 1 ratio]

most printed photos will receive some cropping from the original file. Best tip is to photography everything reasonable loosely [leave some space around the subject] and do the final crop with puter.

hope that helps
    I don't understand why you can not make an 8 x 10? You just need to crop it to the right ratio??? I'd attach a cropped version at 10 x 8 but I dunno if fess has given permission
    Last edited by gcflora; 14-12-2009 at 1:33pm. Reason: speling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    I don't understand why you can not make an 8 x 10? You just need to crop it to the right ratio??? I'd attach a cropped version at 10 x 8 but I dunno if fess has given permission
    Yes; but it will look wacko with far tooooooo much empty space at the top. I'll do a few demos later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are all missing the point here

You can get a 8x10 crop by using 4x5, 8x10, 16x20 etc, it's all the same ratio

You just need to extend the crop square and move it around using the crop tool you have

There is enough space in the photo here to get a very good 8x10 crop.

It's where you have taken a photo wiith very little space around the subjects that you can get into trouble with cropping
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian, yes, there is a bit of space at the top

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The space is in the original as well

Kiwi: Your ratio explanation is what I was trying to say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    photoshop CS4 has a tool (name escapes me now) that can do smart transforms that only stretch/compress parts of the image so you can potentially change from one ratio to another without cropping...

i've not used it yet, just read about it in a scott kelby book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real problem with this photo happened when it's taken and there was not enough space left at the bottom

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And another 10x8 crop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Craig, that's the crop I came up with too, looks good to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know why people print to 8x10 format these days, since DSLRs shoot to a standard default 3:2 ratio meaning its a straight 8x12 inch print, 30x20 inch, 45x30 inch etc and no cropping needed when printing. I hate having to crop and lose details etc when I print for myself and clients

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post

hope that helps
    Yep my bad for getting in too close / getting the original framing wrong, good advice to leave room to crop.

Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    And another 10x8 crop
    ok ok, now you have to tell me how you got it

Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Dont know why people print to 8x10 format these days, ......
    ummm because my client (friend not fee paying) has a 10x8 frame and wants to put it into that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know why people print to 8x10 format these days, since DSLRs shoot to a standard default 3:2 ratio meaning its a straight 8x12 inch print, 30x20 inch, 45x30 inch etc and no cropping needed when printing. I hate having to crop and lose details etc when I print for myself and clients
    Simple answer

Off the shelf frames, try and buy an off the shelf frame for a 12x8
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fess, when you have worked out the sizes / ratios from the advice given here there is one other point to remember and that is to allow enough "edge" on the final print to go inside a frame or mat within a frame as many frames and mats will cover some of the print edge.

Dont know why people print to 8x10 format these days,
    8x10 frames and cropping seem to exist today due to the 4:5 ratio being a "traditional" aspect for portraits falling into line with large format camera film. The head and chest view of a subject was always considered to "look better" with a slightly wider aspect to it than the native 2:3 ratio of 35mm film ( and now digital) SLRs.

8x10 cropping on a horizontal format never seems to look quite right to me except for when cropping to frame things like birds to get them less central in a composition. The 4:5 ratio is also available as an "in camera" crop in the Nikon D3 to allow framing in that ratio.