http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    Threadstarter

About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
    When I was young and lived in Malaysia, we use to live in Medium-rise condomiuns, and where we lived we had a forest backed onto us. Back then though Damansara Heights was mostly Jungle.

I use to catch the 6.30am bus to school,my mom would take me down to the bus stop, and several mornings we came across a Cobra on the way, we didn't bother the cobra, and the cobra didn't bother us. Probably because It had a mouse for breakfast...
    Leave em alone and they'll leave you alone - good advice. In Sri Lanka, which has about the same population as Australia, they get at least 1200 deaths each year. We get about 1.5. That's about 900 times as much, so our snakes really aren't all that dangerous. We just like to think they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Leave em alone and they'll leave you alone - good advice. In Sri Lanka, which has about the same population as Australia, they get at least 1200 deaths each year. We get about 1.5. That's about 900 times as much, so our snakes really aren't all that dangerous. We just like to think they are.
    Australis has a land mass of 7,686,850 square kilometers. Sri Lanka has 65,610 square kilometers. If we had twenty million living in Tasmania, 67,800square kilometers, I'm sure we'd have a few more deaths.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cinvala View Post
    Australis has a land mass of 7,686,850 square kilometers. Sri Lanka has 65,610 square kilometers. If we had twenty million living in Tasmania, 67,800square kilometers, I'm sure we'd have a few more deaths.
    Why? Surely there'd be less snakes then. You would have killed a few.

p.s. There have been no recorded deaths from snakebite in Tasmania for several decades. Even if you added the whole population of Australia, there wouldn't be very many.
    Last edited by Steve Axford; 16-12-2009 at 11:08am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    And I thought you had just gone mad
    I can see how you would think that lol.

My closest encounter with a snake was when we lived on an acre just out of town about 5 years ago and a little pink blind snake was somehow in our living room.

We put him in a jar and he made himself into like a pretzel. Then we took him out side and he escaped down a big ant hole.
    Quote of the day:

"Fame was like a drug. But what was even more like a drug were the drugs."

~ Homer Simpson

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad he escaped ok. The more I read about our snakes, the more convinced I get that they need protecting, not killing. What about those alien European Honey Bees? The kill about 6 times as many people as all of our snakes put together and nobody complains about them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah poor snakes. And sharks, they get a bad rap too.

People only like the cute animals I tells ya. I mean come on, Pandas? Those cute bears are destined to fail lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus we have things called hospitals, antivenom, ambulances, first aid training and a healthy respect for snakes where people don't commonly play a flute to piss them off while they sit in the middle of a meal table - i'd like to see them try to calm an 8ft Taipan with a flute and say it's not dangerous

Critique is always welcome as is PP with details.

Canon 7D, 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 70-300mm
    SL 580EX11

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123