http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225807513441

'node who essentially don't advertise (because they have not needed to) are going to start marketing.

WOW!!

Quoting Simon from Whirlpool..

Stanley Devia writes... Bit of a non-story really. In summary, Internode are planning to do some conventional advertising.
That is indeed the key 'take home' message from that article

And I agree that we are not intending (nor do I see us at risk of) lose the 'geek' affinity in the process. We love, and we thrive, on being the technically astute customers' ISP of choice.

What I will say about this, to explain one of the reasons we're looking at (shock, horror) some more conventional advertising, is that when we talk to our customers about their experience with recommending us (thanks!) to their friends, about the only negative we ever get told is the result of this sort of exchange...:

"You should use Internode because <...>"

"... but I've never heard of them"

Its that 'never heard of them' bit that will benefit from us spending some time and effort (and money) undertaking more conventional advertising – so that when you are kind enough to recommend Internode to a non-geek friend (thank you!), that might be the second time they've heard the name, not the first time.
So... Which APers use 'node as their ISP? www.on.net