Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  11
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Ethics in Professional Portrait Photography

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you take the photographic element out of the discussion and rename the thread Business and Ethics we would all think differently just because it photographically based doesn't mean there aren't sharks( for want of another description, legal advice pending)
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    three words...

ACA and Todaytonight...

Good luck

M
    Actually did that and no response from either. Probably because we never actually got screwed over for the money.

I know what you mean, Nick. Thankfully we're aware that not everyone operates in this deceitful way and when things have settled in the new year, we'll look at getting a nice shoot done. But yes, you can see how one bad apple can destroy the reputaion of many.

One thing Graeme noted whilst he was there, was that each of the names of "clients" had a dollar value next to their name. Lisa had $1500 next to hers, Marie had $1800 and another person had nearly $3000 next to theirs... doesn't take Einstein to tell you why this was so.

Graeme was very polite in all his undertakings with the staff and the manager, however the same could not be said in return. The manager especially, was just shy of abusive when told that the girls would not be viewing the photos.

We await with baited breath as to an official response.

Yep David, there are a lot of businesses out to fleece the little guy. Most of us are wise enough to see passed the BS, but sadly there are still those that are naive and get stung.

The saga continues...
    Osprey Photography

Canon: 5D Mk II, 40D, 10D all gripped, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro and other assorted accessories.

Some stalk, some chase and some pursue... but I hunt.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dig up the past much JimD??

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was doing a search and came across this thread and read it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I was doing a search and came across this thread and read it.
    I am glad you did. Your response bumped this to the top and I found it an interesting read too

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a complete con, they tell these girls they have WON! It is the old if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed - its been done to death and the company involved have had an SA Govt OCBA consumer warning notice issued.

Thread re-opened. Please keep this discussion sane
    Last edited by Kym; 13-02-2012 at 4:23pm.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the press again... http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busine...-1226269070490

STRUGGLING portrait group Studio 2000 Photographers has been thrown a lifeline by its creditors and staff. Studio 2000 was placed in voluntary administration last November with debts of about $2.5 million.
    The downturn in South Australia's retail sector was blamed for the collapse.
    A meeting of creditors unanimously agreed to accept a Deed of Company Arrangement proposal under which all of the company's priority creditors - such as its financial institution and employees - will be paid in full, including staff superannuation and long-service leave.
    The arrangement includes unsecured creditors having their agreed debts settled over a period of up to five years.
    Among those who have helped inject money in the business were some of Studio 2000's staff.
    Edit:
    http://www.smartcompany.com.au/finan...flounders.html
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-2...ration/3686356
    Last edited by Kym; 13-02-2012 at 4:28pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have seen these "Free" sessions myself at a few different places. Once I've asked more its been similar to your daughters scenario and I've walked the other way. Unfortuantely there are a lot of people out there that will take advantage of a young girl who doesn't look to deep. Good Luck when your hubby goes with them and hopefully they get the deposit back.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMF View Post
    Have seen these "Free" sessions myself at a few different places. Once I've asked more its been similar to your daughters scenario and I've walked the other way. Unfortuantely there are a lot of people out there that will take advantage of a young girl who doesn't look to deep. Good Luck when your hubby goes with them and hopefully they get the deposit back.
    Helen's situation was resolved after her Husband had to threaten to call the police to get the $95 deposit back.
    He went to the premises to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for this query, so Mods, please move it if it's in the wrong place.

My daughter and her best friend went and had some photos taken at a rather well-known photo studio yesterday. This was supposed to be a "free" session that she got for visiting their stand at the Royal Show.

The got made up and had a rather lengthy session and all-in-all had a fabulous time, however, they were each charged a bond of $95 to make sure that they would turn up to a viewing of the photos when they are completed. If they don't attend, they forfeit their money (so much for being free). Yes, they were silly and agreed to this, though in fairness, the $95 was probably well spent on the makeup artist who did an excellent job. The girls did look gorgeous when they got home.

Anyway, daughter came home with a price list... the cheapest option a 5" x 4" unedited print for $200. Packages start at $1200 for 2 x 10" x 8" + an album of small photos and go to nearly $6,500 for the top package.

Would have loved a 30" x 40" photo of her, but the asking price is $3,750.

Personally I'm overwhelmed and completely shocked at what they're charging, but am I the only one who think this?
    Wow, that's way over the top. Seems to be the way to get you in. Give you something for free and then you feel obligated to purchase some photos.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They got sucked in, they are not the first and won't be the last and those places will keep going and giving photographers a bad name, very much unethical IMO. Now I would pay Sue Bryce close to that but she would be upfront about it and worth every penny, they are not! They can't get business in an honest upfront way so they do that and use pressure selling that leaves women feeling like shit and very wary of going anywhere near a photographer again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great read at 3.25am.... Didn't realise the thread was originally a couple of years old!

I 'won' a free shoot via a fill in form at the vets. Was made clear about a $50 deposit, took the family along, and had a great shoot.

The sales tactics weren't too strong, but the emotional attachment to the images was very string, making me want to buy them all! Ended up with one very large one and three small ones, somewhere around $800 or $900 then a couple of hundred for framing.

Extremely pleased with the pics... Superb stuff, and fantastic framing. The post processing was done really well, and they rally listened to our requests and suggestions.

Was well worth the money, kids are only kids for a short time, and I would definitely consider going back to them in another few years for another snapshot of my family life.

Not all cowboys that's for sure.
    Epicaricacy
    Canon 5Dmkiii and a variety of lenses and other bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So refreshing to here a story like this on this forum. Thanks for sharing what I believe is a far more common experience than the negative ones many people love to prattle on about.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK GOD FOR STUDIO 2000 CLOSING!

A colleague of mine has been considering spilling the beans on its lack of morals and ethics while she was working there, ie. pressuring a mentally disabled person into doing expensive shoots with them and going on payment plans. That is really low.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their equipment is being auctioned off, cheap lighting available
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff