Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You See Lines?

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do You See Lines?

I am sure its my screen I am working on that is showing strange banding/lines - arghhhh I need a $1000+ screen that show good tonal range etc.

please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep I see them!
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me too!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lines

Yes I see them too, do you have big speakers near the screen? I have seen large audio equipment produce that sort of effect before.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I see dead people!!

Oh and I see lines to apparently. Interesting that they curve down on the left. Was this the actual photo or a screen capture to show the lines?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, lines. And I do have a $1000 monitor. Not to worry, just dial the saturation right up and say it was a rainbow.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes - horizontals bands
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too, same as Rick.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the heck is it then if you are all seeing it? This was a shot in which I PP. Not sure what the go is here.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does it appear on other shots taken during the same shoot? have you cleaned your sensor recently - residue lines on sensor?

Banding issues are not unheard of. The D200 had an issue with banding when it was first released, but it only occured under certain conditions, they fixed it with further copies of the camera. Mine was fine, but NickMonk can get his to produce banding.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lines are curved. Banding as a sensor issue, as a PP issue, as a firmware issue, and as a monitor issue should produce straight lines! At least I can't see how the maths could make sense if any of the causes mentioned just now are relevant.

Curved lines just about have to be coming from a waveform disturbance: i.e., something optical (lens weirdness) or something electrical (interference patterns - something that I'd have only expected to apply to analogue monitors and signal chains. I just can't see how these lines can be a digital artifact.

PS: you are not doing any picture-bending PP by any chance? (De-fishing or similar.)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Does it appear on other shots taken during the same shoot? have you cleaned your sensor recently - residue lines on sensor?

Banding issues are not unheard of. The D200 had an issue with banding when it was first released, but it only occured under certain conditions, they fixed it with further copies of the camera. Mine was fine, but NickMonk can get his to produce banding.
    I've noticed it from time to time, but I don't think it is ever in the same spot. I took a sereis of shots of the above scene and it doesn't appear to be showing up in the others. This one was shot with a Canon 350D, so not sure if there have been any past issues in relation to banding with this camera?

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    The lines are curved. Banding as a sensor issue, as a PP issue, as a firmware issue, and as a monitor issue should produce straight lines! At least I can't see how the maths could make sense if any of the causes mentioned just now are relevant.

Curved lines just about have to be coming from a waveform disturbance: i.e., something optical (lens weirdness) or something electrical (interference patterns - something that I'd have only expected to apply to analogue monitors and signal chains. I just can't see how these lines can be a digital artifact.

PS: you are not doing any picture-bending PP by any chance? (De-fishing or similar.)
    Hey, when you say "picture-bending PP" do you mean Perspective Correction? I did apply some to this image.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post

Very true, good points.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perspective correctiom? Yes, that ought to be able to do it - anything that bends straight lines. Now the next question is where are the lines coming from? Were they already there before the PP? If so, we have to look for almost everything. Or was it the PP that introduced them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see lines on a very very junkie laptop with a bad screen

I also see sheep.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I see them as well...

Hope you guys work out what they're from!

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see them too, on a fairly expensive screen.
    Osprey Photography

Canon: 5D Mk II, 40D, 10D all gripped, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro and other assorted accessories.

Some stalk, some chase and some pursue... but I hunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are they on the RAW - Im sure interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I can see them also - As others have mentioned earlier something/marks on sensor?
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast