Thread: Hahn Super Dry soft box

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahn Super Dry soft box

A client phoned me yesterday asking if I could shoot some images of his cardboard boxes for his web page. I'm a pre-press man with a passion for photography (he knew that , that's why he asked me!) but I have no studio equipment for product shots. He said it didn't have to be anything fancy, however he needed them TOMORROW.... so I said OK.
    I knew I needed off camera lighting so decided to shoot using a remote flash, problem was the shadows would be too harsh and with no time or money to hire a soft box I decided to set one up myself.

Introducing the Hahn Super Dry soft box; Take one empty case of beer, cut out one side, then line with foil and tape into position. Then cut a hole in the back for your flash. Next add some baking paper to the front and bingo, soft box!

I've posted the results as well. Not the greatest shots I know (nor subject matter) but the box certainly worked and softened the shadows big time, less pp work for me!

The client was stoked to recieve his images ahead of time and also happy with the finished product. I'm glad I drank that case of beer prior to the shoot!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200 2.8
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8
    Nikkor 18-70 kit lens
    Nikon SB800 Speedlite
    and other stuff

I view stupidity as a virtue.....well it works for me anyway!
    Australian Photography Competitions- Have you voted yet?