Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7D IQ Poor Quality?

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 7D IQ Poor Quality?

I came across this review of the Canon 7D and thought it was interesting in the end results. I'm not saying it's poor quality, tend to agree with replies that it may have something to do with the filter in camera. I would have liked to have seen images sharpened in post processing so see if the details could be bought out

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2.../the-canon-7d/
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a first I've ever seen or heard about it.. my own testing has confirmed otherwise, as have x amounts of other reviews out there..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently came across this review, and it is the first non complimentary one I have found. Having not purchased one of these yet, it has made me have a serious think.

The person doing the review is respected (& does know what he is talking about), so the results being shared cannot simply be dismissed.

I would really like to read a follow up review by someone that has good enough knowledge to objectively confirm or dispute the findings of this review.

Cheers
    Matt.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it would be interesting to see other reviews as well. I have heard word of mouth from reputable people with experience in the industry similar thoughts to the above review of the 7D. But I was hard pressed to find any online reviews that supported the issues of softer images from the camera. As the 7D makes its way into the market more I will be interested to see more reviews and if this issue pops up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a look for giggles. Don't particularly like the way they have zoomed in on the detail. if they were using exactly the same variables, why did the samples zoomed in on the 7D look much bigger at times?

That being said, where they were the same size, to have a 400D (or what ever it is called) out perform the 7D is of some concern? Maybe its the lens that is the problem point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i been peeping my pixels cause of this review.

i do not concur. 40d vs 7d with 85 1.2 @ f16, mirror lockup, live view focus, picked best of 4 samples, sorry the lighting didn't stay the same through the test though. lightroom 2.6 rc1 as raw converter, adobe standard as camera profile, default sharpening in lightroom (25, 1.0, 25, 0). into photoshop and 40d file up-rezed using bicubic smoother, even before up-rez the diff was obvious. 100% crops of focus target, windy day in melbourne so no shots of leaves.

distance is not infinity, just across the street, 20 or 30 metres away i guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, which is which?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7d on top, 40d below.

lighting was probably just more favourable when 7d was being used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a look at Allan and my thread about the 7 v 5 v 50 v 40 D comparison

M
    Last edited by Allann; 24-11-2009 at 9:21pm. Reason: Added link to thread
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't say the the 7D is sharper than the others tested, but what nags me is the statement "RAW without sharpening". That simply indicates to me they did not try to get the maximum out of the camera.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a direct response to Darwin's review

My first post here, so be kind...

For any published "opinions", there will always be counter arguments:

http://www.prophotohome.com/news/200...non-rebel-xsi/

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would drag this thread up again, as I am looking at getting the 7D and I want to like it, but I keep on seeing reports and reviews that otherwise suggest that the 7D seems to have questionable results coming from it in terms of sharpness. Maybe it's just easier to look at all the "negative" reports rather than all the users and reviews that praise the camera. What have your experiences been? Are such reports always typical when a new camera comes out, or is there something going on here? I want one!

Maybe it's also something to do with how each person is going to judge image sharpness/detail etc. I have heard that because the 7D has 18MP on a crop sensor means that there the low pass filter is stronger to combat noise from images. Maybe this is a major reasons for reviews saying the camera is soft? I have found all Canon SDLR's to need sharpening from the base level of 0, especially in RAW images, needing +1 or +2 in DPP software. Do you find you need to sharpen images some more with the 7D compared to other cameras? Importantly, does this bring good results, and does it degrade IQ?
    Last edited by wideangle; 19-02-2010 at 10:31am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how you judge sharpness, but this is at 12800 ISO f4.5 (wide open, not the best place to shoot at any time) with the siggy 120-400 hand held with OS on, absolutley no processing

See this thread for a for a flower 7D and 85 f1.8 @ f2.8 http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=50535

I have not particularly noticed that I need to apply more or less sharpening in post than I did with my 40D

I have a gallery of tri-athlon images here 7 February 2010
    No sharpening applied at all, just converted from RAW to jpg by selecting the images and the using Image Processor from the photoshop menu item in Bridge, so there may have been a small amount of default sharpening applied.
    All the images from the 7 February Gallery are with the 7D and predominantly my 70-200 Tamron, a few of the first cycle images were with the 85f1.8
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't resist, here is one example

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you got a 100 per cent crop of the image, as it's hard to tell detail sharpness from such small images.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To start with I have no idea what you mean by a 100 per cent crop,

All I can say is these are both full frame images, I don't pixel peep, I can probably arrange to load up the RAW files on my server this evening (probably around 5:00pm) and you can then down load them and peep to what ever level takes your fancy

PM me you email address and I will shoot you an email once I have them loaded on

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkChap View Post
    To start with I have no idea what you mean by a 100 per cent crop,

All I can say is these are both full frame images, I don't pixel peep, I can probably arrange to load up the RAW files on my server this evening (probably around 5:00pm) and you can then down load them and peep to what ever level takes your fancy

PM me you email address and I will shoot you an email once I have them loaded on
    Hey, just mean a section of the whole image. It's hard to tell if an image is sharp from a smaller one.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many times do you print or use an image at 100%? With 18MP the images are huge and even if you bugger the composition and crop out half the frame you still end up with plenty of pixels to play with.

Pixel peeping only messes with your head.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Etherial's view on pixel peeping

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks a dodgey deal to me
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast