Thread: Software developers - tell us about your skills

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Software developers - tell us about your skills

I'm interested in finding out what software developers are also into photography.

I'm also wondering what skills we have on the forum in this area.

So please tell us about your IT skills!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I only know how to log in to AP and haven't a clue about spreading sheets out in Java ( only ever been to Bali ) to lay a lamp on for the competent development of Christmas dinner for Linus Torvalds.

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really enough options there Kym! In a former life I was a programmer, but I don't see much call for Cobol these days! (especially on punched cards )

I have dabbled a bit with html and VB, and I can do anything I like with a Remedy system. I do a fair bit of coding within a Crystal Report from time to time.
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Options - Well I could have had 20 more but just wanted a really broad gauge of current relevant skills

Andrew - you should take over primary tech support!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the option to vote for I am an incompetent LAMP developer?

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Options - Well I could have had 20 more but just wanted a really broad gauge of current relevant skills
    Yep, story of my life! Always out of date, and completely irrelevant!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reasonably currently, I know my way around SQLserver, Oracle, ASP (less so .net, but have worked with it) mainly revolving around web-to-database coding and database design.

In a past life, I knew lots about Unix, C, Informix, SQL in various flavours, 4GLs, machine code real-time programming and data acquisition, as well as broadcast video standards and video encoding.

(I can also pull calves and fix pumps - but that is another story...)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people i know in photography do have IT backgrounds whether it be programming, sys admin, BA/PM etc etc. For me I've come from support desk to web development and now into BA/PM style work although I'm strongest with backend databases. It would be interesting to know why so many photographers seems to have come from and IT background. Any researchers out there?

For me personally, i picked up a digital P&S camera after playing with a film P&S and enjoying it which rules out the "I want a cool technology gadget" thing...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My business card says: "Project Manager", but in reality I spend my days 90% of the time designing and implementing embedded software and programmable hardware (FPGA's mostly). I've just finished the implementation of an SD-host peripheral (both peripheral and device driver) and started working on a brand new Bluetooth stack last week.

I've done my share of kernel development, programmed in numerous languages, burned more fingers on hot soldering tin and was shocked by more power-components than I care to remember. I've designed and built hardware for the automotive, medical and consumer market, including development on still- and moving camera technology. Some of it provides ethernet connections to hook it up to local networks (or the internet if you prefer) for which I've developed websites and databases.

So yeah, you could say I'm a techie . I don't do a lot of desktop programming but can if needed.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make a mean dress. Is this any help? 'cause it's all double dutch to me.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Linus Torvalds asks my advice on Linux kernel development" <- that's me.

Ok, jokes aside, I'm really just a asp.net developer.
    Currently snapping away with -> Canon 500D + 7D | EFS 18-55mm | EFS 55-250mm | EF 300 f/4

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a software test team leader, so I do a bit of spreadsheet programming for stats and stuff like that from raw data off SQL tables.
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campo View Post
    It would be interesting to know why so many photographers seems to have come from and IT background. Any researchers out there?
    No research being done here but I would have thought that if you're IT savvy you're just more likely to be in the net - in forums, and on Flickr etc as you know your way around those things a whole lot better than Joe Average.

I have no software skills per se, unless you count being able to draft and negotiate long boring a complex contracts for a wide range of enterprise software solutions (i.e. I can talk a good game about enterprise software licensing and IP rights, but no idea how to use the software itself) - otherwise then it's "log on to AP only" for me.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to know why so many photographers seems to have come from and IT background. Any researchers out there?
    No research. But AP has quite a low number of members with serious IT development skills.
    Within my work environment a team of 28 IT people, 6 have DSLRs, one of them has 2 (me).
    Nikon 3 x D40x, 1 x D80, 1 x D90, Canon 1 x 400D, 2 x Pentax (K20D, K-7)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't know what to vote. In my pervious career I wrote using C and C++ (depending on the task). I've also coded in M68K asm and x86 asm. I know quite a few other languages as well but most proficient in C. I do not know .NET very well (although I wrote a quick'n'dirty win forms c# app a few months ago for my personal use). So I guess I can't choose any of the poll options

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
    Not really enough options there Kym! In a former life I was a programmer, but I don't see much call for Cobol these days! (especially on punched cards )

I have dabbled a bit with html and VB, and I can do anything I like with a Remedy system. I do a fair bit of coding within a Crystal Report from time to time.
    Well, you can probably find work maintaining COBOL but there are few things less pleasant LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a dip in computer tech (96/7) that involved doing C,C++, VB, COBOL etc - wouldn't remember too much of it now apart from VB. Can do HTML and a little basic Java. Have done quite a few spreadsheets last job.
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First full time job wams a DB developer, was sub-contracted in 99 by a telco for the LNP program. Coded stuff in VB, Java and PLSQL. The most borring job in my life, I'll never be a code monkey again

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a software development company but I am not a programmer. I take the incomprehensible technical documentation and turn it into something remotely resembling English.

I write the occassional macro in VBA and play with HTML & stylesheets but I would generally rate my skills in the 'I can program a spreadsheet'.

Most of our programmers (some of whom I consider very good) cannot program a spreadsheet and come to me to get help which I find quite amusing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people i know in photography do have IT backgrounds whether it be programming, sys admin, BA/PM etc etc. For me I've come from support desk to web development and now into BA/PM style work although I'm strongest with backend databases. It would be interesting to know why so many photographers seems to have come from and IT background. Any researchers out there?

For me personally, i picked up a digital P&S camera after playing with a film P&S and enjoying it which rules out the "I want a cool technology gadget" thing...
    +1.. in the IT field too.

Maybe because we love technology and playing with new gadgets.

For me my inspiration for photography came from my cousin brother (who is a professional wildlife photographer). He is also into IT (well he is the boss of his many companies). If it wasn't for him I would have never got into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast