Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: $$$$ Don't do this $$$$$

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$$$$ Don't do this $$$$$

A few mouths ago, something like a small screw become lodged under the space bar of my lappy. In the past I have just popped off the key, removed the whatever and popped the key back on: YA CAN"T DO THAT ANY MORE so I have now found out, although I did get all the little plastic bits back together. But now something has let go and this teeny weeny little bit of plastic can't be replaced without replacing the whole key board

Not happy; have not recieved the quote as yet but I'm expecting $130++++:: not going to happen as I will get a $20 plug it in key board for now. The lappy only cost me 500 something $.

SO; DON'T REMOVE THE KEYS ON YA LAPPY; IT WILL COST $$$$$$$$; LOTS OF &^%%*# $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'oh! Further product warnings that you also might find useful...
    - don't iron clothes whilst wearing them
    - wearing of a Superman costume will not allow you to fly
    - do not use hair dryer in the bath

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plants and flowers that you purchase at the Supermarket are generally not Edible, otherwise they would be in the vegetable department.

Know what you mean Ian. My laptop has a missing f12 key
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Plants and flowers that you purchase at the Supermarket are generally not Edible, otherwise they would be in the vegetable department.

Know what you mean Ian. My laptop has a missing f12 key
    LOL Icouldlivewithoutthef12[noideawhatitdoes]butmissingthespacekeyisarealpain; it really mucks up my two typing fingers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am missing the "D" key just fell off
    C&C most welcome, please if reworks are made post what adjustments etc have been made so I can learn from them

Thanks

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ian B. Take heart. I had to fix some keys on a laptop (B-I-Law's, don't remember brand) and I thought it was a lost cause. I know what you're talking about, but I managed to get it all back and wkg. But you do need a scanning electron microscope to see the parts. I had glasses and a magnifier, and I also practised some bl**p words. Am...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i poured some wine one day in keyboard it knocked out the the g and H and the space bar only - had to use alt keys for about 1/2 a day till got a new one lol
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be easy to replace the keyboard, I can do it on my Dell lappy no worries. Just have to google some instructions, and get the part off eBay
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian I also found out it can't be done

Di

Di

Canon 50D, Canon 17-85, 50mm 1.8, Speedlite 580EX11
    "You have to make the most of the chances that come your way. "

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The techies had mine out heaps of times before it died. Ummmmmmmmmmmm maybe that's what did it in.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    A few mouths ago, something like a small screw become lodged under the space bar of my lappy. In the past I have just popped off the key, removed the whatever and popped the key back on: YA CAN"T DO THAT ANY MORE so I have now found out, although I did get all the little plastic bits back together. But now something has let go and this teeny weeny little bit of plastic can't be replaced without replacing the whole key board

Not happy; have not recieved the quote as yet but I'm expecting $130++++:: not going to happen as I will get a $20 plug it in key board for now. The lappy only cost me 500 something $.

SO; DON'T REMOVE THE KEYS ON YA LAPPY; IT WILL COST $$$$$$$$; LOTS OF &^%%*# $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I have performed countless successful repairs on laptops, PC's, dishwashers, cars, aircon systems, hearing aids, speakers, cameras, TV's, CD players etc etc. I'm completely unqualified but can easily find and read the repair manuals on the internet. It is entirely likely your keyboard would have been easily removed by unscrewing the labelled screws on the underside so you can get to the loose screw.

I recently relocated the repair manual for my HP lappy on the web and replaced a couple of components buried deep within (CMOS battery). Replacing the battery required an entire deconstruction. Interestingly a replacement keyboard was available on the 'bay for about $50 and only required the removal of two screws and a pair of easily accessible clips to remove and reconnect. Compaq, Acer, Dell, IBM lappies all require the same type of removal method the KB.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the sympathy LOL I do feel better; just don't try it yourself

yeah I know it can be fixed, but will not bother; and a lot of that is to do with the acer fixer in town not calling back with a quote; and Acer still owe me the $100 cash back

I will just use a plug in key board for awhile

Cheers