User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photobooks - has anyone used these company's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photobooks - has anyone used these company's?

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone had used any of the following companies for photo books?

clickonprint.com.au
    www.cahootsphoto.com.au
    www.myreflections.com.au

How did you find them? Were they of good quailty?
    I am doing a maternity/newborn shoot for a friend (very much an amatuer here, so trying to get some experience!) but if they turn out alright so would like them in a photobook, with text..eg need to be able to place text where ever (not like snapfish where text options are limited) I would really like them to look professional if the photo's go as planned, and to be of great quailty.
    Any other company suggestion would also be appreciated!

TIA
    Nicole

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope not those... i have used blurb and lulu. they were ok

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    momento is another one
    Rachel
    Canon 50D/ 5DMK2; 24-70 f2.8L; 18-200 IS (kit); 50 f1.8 II; Sigma 10-20; 430 EXII; Lowepro bags; plus other accessories
    LR3, CS5 & PSE6

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks David..just wondering did you prefer one over the other?

Just had a look at the momento website (actually i looked at them all! haha)
    Thanks for suggesting them Rachel..Love the Diaries they have to offer..just found my MIL christmas pressie! lol

Just wondering with the photo books through momento, i'm looking at the gallery page and it lets you open the books and turn from page to page, when you make your own photo book, does it give you a link that you can email someone to 'flick' through their book? without having to give them your password etc. I'm just thinking i wouldn't really want to give my password out even though its a friend, still would rather not, and it would be easier to just send her a link to the book then try and meet up with her when bub is born etc. (i'm sure anyone with a newborn would agree, you just wanna do things in your own time/pace) so thinking this would give her the option to have a look when she had a spare 5mins. Obviously i want her to check it before i went ahead and printed just to make she was happy with it all etc. not a huge biggy if thats not an option as i can just log on her pc..just thought it would be easier for her

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicole Albumprinter Australia is another one. My sister has just done albums for each of her children and has got one back today so I will ask her tonight if she is happy with hers. I know she chose them because of the options they offered.

Di

Di

Canon 50D, Canon 17-85, 50mm 1.8, Speedlite 580EX11
    "You have to make the most of the chances that come your way. "

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
    Thanks David..just wondering did you prefer one over the other?
    nope. service is a bit slow on both as they arent based in Oz, but quality is quite good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicole I spoke to my sister about Albumprinters and she is very happy with her book. Her husband has a background in printing and he says the paper and print quality is very good also. Kerry said she was able to keep track of the whole process and see at what stage the book was in the print process, and received replies to her emails promptly. She only send her finished book off to them the Sunday night before last and had it back this morning.

Di

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much Di for finding out for me much appreciated. just about to go DL the software now and see how i go!
    I have also downloaded momento and Blurb.
    Only tried out Momento so far, and its really easy to use and i like the fact that you can put text anywhere not just in 'allocated' places. However out of the 3 the are the most expensive by quite a bit..is that because there quailty and service is unbelievable fantastic? not sure...

Going to Try out blurbs and albumprinters over the next few days and see which i prefer...defianltey liking the price of the these 2 better.

For anyone out there that has used these 3 could you please share your experience..good..bad..neutral?

Thanks David..great to know quality is good..i'm not too worried about 'time' as i dont have any customers so wont have any impatient people ringing asking for there books! hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up an album yesterday printed by albumprinter (through officeworks). I am also impressed with the print quality and paper. I uploaded the album on Saturday, so it only takes a few days to be completed. I have a couple more to print and will definitely be going through albumprinter again.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ruth thats great to hear.
    Can you tell me did you find the software easy to use? and were the text options limited or was there a wide range?
    I tried downloading the software last night but my internet seems to be playing up - must of overloaded when i DL the others

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the software both easy and flexible in terms of image and text size and placement. Aspect ratios could also be changed so that images aren't cropped to fit the suggested designs (from memory, click on the image and drag the bounding box edges to achieve the ratio for your image... I was impressed with this as in the past, I have been locked into the set aspect ratio....I hate having my images cropped by software! Images can be shuffled around at will.

Plenty of choice with text fonts...extra text boxes can be added (or removed)....very, very flexible with design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working of an iMac and have used Blurb for three projects in the past 6 months - all presents for friends/family and over that time the software has improved, the price has been competitive and the service have been consistently excellent - they schedule print runs reasonably often, advise when dispatched and the parcel arrives with a few weeks of uploading. I'm happy.
    chaz
    Nikon D90; Nikkor 18-200mm & 105mm f2.8 macro
    iMac CS3; Gitzo Explorer & RRS BH-40

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Albumprinter. I made an album for a family member with them and was very happy with it.
    Much better than the Snapfish one I did although to be fair it cost more.
    The service was good too. The first file I sent them was corrupted, but they contacted me immediately and helped put it right.
    However you should note Albumprinter has changed its name recently to Albumworks.
    www.albumworks.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    click on print photobooks are excellent as well i have used theem and will again

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ruth...will definaltey DL ablumworks software when my interent is working a bit better..the only thing that disappoints me is they have a limit of 60 pages...i'm wondering if that will be enough for what i want...Going to do the first half of the book for her pregnancy and the second half when bub arrives...so i'm thinking if there we say 50 photo's of each set..100 all up how many pages would i use...as she wanted to put quotes through the book as well...hmm
    If it turns out i need more pages will have to try someone else..am definately going to use them when i do my girls one though..and there price seems pretty good.

Thanks chaz...i have played around with there software and must admit quite like it and there prices seem pretty good (specially in comparison to momento) not sure if momento has better quailty or what? Can i ask what type of cover finishes did you get with your books? How did the covers look?

umajo..clickonprints was one of the first i found and quite liked the look of, great to hear some feedback about them.

Just wondering what "cover style" everyone chose and if they have tried a few different covers which did you prefer? eg dust jacket, image wrap, plain with embossed text etc.

Thanks everyone for all your responses its much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On covers - I've done one Hardcover with Dust Jacket which is folded over the hardback - and it was terrific - high quality glossy paper with a crisp set of images. Also 2 using Imagewrap, which prints directly onto the hardcover. My preference is for the dust jacket because its high quality paper that has a glossy high res finish, while imagewrap finish on the hardcover is silk/matt. So it depends on the purpose of the book. The 2 imagewrap books are going to be thumbed a lot by many people (wedding and birthday photos), while the Dust Jacket book is a present to an elderly person (father in law) who will treat it carefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have used My reflections and they were great and their product range is very good. I did a photobook of our recent holiday and was extremely happy.

They recently won an award for the Best Small business here and they are active members of our local club (Rockingham Photography Club).

Karl
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Canon G12 in a Recsea housing with twin YS110 Alpha strobes
    Canon 7D with Sigma 18 - 250mm & 170 - 500mm lenses

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank Chaz..must admit i prefer the look of the dust jacket, but was concerned about how 'thick' the jacket was...Dont think it will get thumbed that much as it will be quite personal with the maternity pictures...but cant guarentee that.
    From what you say the dust jacket has a more classier look?

Karl..thank for the feedback on My Reflections..i downloaded there software the other day and really liked it, and liked it prices you project as you select what you want...and i like the idea of supporting a small local business. (not that their local to me but you know what i mean). There prices are a bit higher than blurb and ablum works (but ther offer more pages than album works). Did you get the dust jacket? what is it like? Do you think it would last a long time?

Thanks again
    Nicole
    Canon 50d
    Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8L, 580EX II Speedlight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Albumworks looked great and downloaded the software, only to realise it doesn't work on a Mac (as a new Mac user, I keep forgetting the check first!). Have downloaded Blurb's software and will try that over the next few days. I did a quick run with their automatic layout, but can see I will definitely have to go custom.

It's great to get feedback from other users... when you can't see something in the flesh, you never really know.
    Merri

Canon 400D, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 18-55mm and 75-300mm (kit lenses before IS), Tamron SP 90mm Di f/2.8 macro (brand new, just arrived!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nicole,

Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier. I didn't get the dust jacket but have seen a couple of their completed books on display at our club meetings and they look very good and I do think they will last. I have recommended them to some of the guys at work and they have also been pleased with the result. I don't mind paying that little bit extra if the product is good or Australian.

Karl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast