Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Printing with different ICC Profiles test

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Printing with different ICC Profiles test

I thought I would run a test and print the same print at a local lab with different embedded profiles. I did this because of my initial question on AP relating to the RAW program, Raw Therapee and selecting the correct ICC profile.

I printed the same photo out in:

1. No Profile
    2. Canon sRGB V1.31
    3. sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    4. Adobe RGB

On screen if I toggle between the different profiles on the same photo, Canon sRGB and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 look exactly the same. I assume the Canon profile is the same as sRGB IEC61966-2.1, they just name it something different - it's what I have been doing all my lab prints since I got my camera. whilst Adobe RGB looks more saturated on-screen.

The actual hard copy prints look identical. The local lab must obviously have their default profile and everything that is uploaded on their machines is overwritten with their profile.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - 2 and 3 are the same.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    I thought I would run a test and print the same print at a local lab with different embedded profiles. I did this because of my initial question on AP relating to the RAW program, Raw Therapee and selecting the correct ICC profile.

I printed the same photo out in:

1. No Profile
    2. Canon sRGB V1.31
    3. sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    4. Adobe RGB

On screen if I toggle between the different profiles on the same photo, Canon sRGB and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 look exactly the same. I assume the Canon profile is the same as sRGB IEC61966-2.1, they just name it something different - it's what I have been doing all my lab prints since I got my camera. whilst Adobe RGB looks more saturated on-screen.

The actual hard copy prints look identical. The local lab must obviously have their default profile and everything that is uploaded on their machines is overwritten with their profile.
    Either that or their printing system is colourspace aware and it prints correctly cause they are compensating for the colourspace
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Yes - 2 and 3 are the same.
    I find it interesting and confusing why Canon use their own profile based upon sRGB2.1 - is it identical just in a different name? Maybe it has something to do with usage rights or something?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've uploaded the Canon sRGB profile to iccview.de and compared it to the official sRGB profile. No differences. The device manufacturer ID is set to Canon (obviously) and the device model to 'Z009' (instead of simply 'sRGB'). It seems to have a couple of extra colorspace units, but I can't find the differences...
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    I've uploaded the Canon sRGB profile to iccview.de and compared it to the official sRGB profile. No differences. The device manufacturer ID is set to Canon (obviously) and the device model to 'Z009' (instead of simply 'sRGB'). It seems to have a couple of extra colorspace units, but I can't find the differences...
    Great - that's what I thought because on-screen changing between the two I cannot see any differences in colour shift at all.