User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: sigma 18-200 or 28-300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sigma 18-200 or 28-300

Personal preference on the above from people who have used them please.

I am after a carry about lens for my d60 cause I am getting tired of swapping the 18-55 and 55-200. do either of the sigmas have appreciablely better benefits over each other apart from the diff focal length.

I am worried bout losing the wide angle of the 18-28 but am looking at a 10-20 in a few months anyway so that would fill that gap if I went with the 28. Would just have to survive until then.

Price diff is only an extra $100 for the 28-300.

Thoughts

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used either lens but I will ask a question and offer an opinion.

Q. Is autofocus important to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Crash View Post
    do either of the sigmas have appreciablely better benefits over each other apart from the diff focal length.
    If you answer yes to the above question and then look at your own question above then there are only 2 answers.

Either the 18-200 or the 18-250 are the lenses for you because the 28-300 will not auto focus on your D60.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I think you might be disappointed in the image quality of the Sigma 18-200 after the two lenses you have been using. Maybe the Tamron 18-270 instead (noting it's quite a bit more expensive) or the Nikon 18-200 (ditto). I wouldn't go to a 28 wide angle, as it's only going to perpetuate the problem you are stating of lens-swapping, unless you don't do wide angle much (see next para).

If you do an analysis of the focal lengths of your shots, what's the distribution? This may have a bearing on the replacement choice.

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think you will be disappointed in the 10-200 Sigma, (I am with mine) I would go for the Nikon if you can afford it, try some of the online stores for prices like d-d-photographics (http://www.d-d-photographics.com/nikonslracc.htm) in North Sydney and online plus Cameras Direct (https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/ind...r-ii-lens.html) in Brisbane, European Cameras (http://www.cameras.net.au/secondhand.php) have a secondhand one in stock at the moment so have a look on their site. I did have a Tamron 18-200 mm ( I dropped it!!!) and that was a good lens. Hope this helps.
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    because the 28-300 will not auto focus on your D60.
    Ok didn't note that thank-you for pointing that out.

Price is a fairly big factor at the moment and I can get the 18-200 for $350 so that was why I was leaning towards that over a nikor or tamron. But if it really is going to be a problem maybe I should just put up with swapping.

From what I've seen/heard people either hate the sigma 18-200 or think it's quite good value. I've never seen anyone rave about it but for that price I was hoping it was acceptable...Seems not hey?