User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Just brought a PC laptop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just brought a PC laptop

I just brought the Acer emachine. My first laptop and about 15 years since I had anything to do with a PC. The screen looks really weak on the blacks compared to my G4 Macintosh. I brought it so I could have a better look at what I have shot before I pack up and go back to the office. I am not very confident of the values of the screen and will do all my PP on the mac I think.

I would be interested to hear of other peoples experiences.
    Jim Canon 40D – Canon 70-200mm f/4L – Nifty 50 f/1.8 – Tokina 12-24 f/4 - Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro Critique welcome
    http://home.exetel.com.au/shim/index.htm

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an Acer a couple of years ago for my missus - the build quality is crap, the screen is worse than my 4 year old Dell, the keys on the keyboard gives a hollow rattle when you're typing on it. Not getting another Acer ever again, even if it's cheap.
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a HP elitebook 6930p six months ago, never had a laptop before but it's quite useful for when I go away. Not a huge unit, just a handy size with enough grunt to do everything I want.

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Laptop screens are notoriously bad for photo editing as they are usually TN screens, and thus CHEAP to manufacture, but also unreliable for colour consistency.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to say it but you should have stuck with the macs !

*fanboi* comment

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...=7-10041-10146
    "Knowledge is a single point, but the ignorant have multiplied it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are laptops out there which are made for photo editing with wider colour gamut than the Macs and with better colour representation - but they are not cheap, you get what u pay for!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I still have Mac and it will be the editor. I brought the laptop to have a better view of what I have shot before I take down lights etc and drive away. I was caught when I shot a picture for a calendar, had tried with light through a scrim and was not happy, so shot with it bounced of the ceiling. Had not noticed the bloke had left the scrim leaning against some shelves.

Packed up, when home to the Mac and noticed a reflection in a part of the image. It took me over an hour to get it out and it was only just acceptable. They though it was lovely so I never mentioned or charged them for the drama.

Hence a cheap laptop were I can view images before I leave. Nothing worse than having to re-shoot/