User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: The colour yellow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The colour yellow

I took some photos of a few large yellow chrysanthemum flowers but wanted to get more definition into the petals. I'm curious to know whether yellow is a harder colour to process at all? I'm not very experienced in photoshop yet and wasnt sure if this is an easy thing if you know the right techniques, or whether the colour makes it harder or if I need to go back to taking the photo and use a lighting technique?
    Olympus bodies: E330 & the E3. Lenses: Zuiko 12-60mm, 50-200mm. Sigma 105mm. Extras: EX25, FL36R, FL50R and a few odds and ends

"A stranger is just a friend you don't know yet!" ~ Billy Connelly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that yellow is a harder colour to process - might depend though with how much light on it though in a way?
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once you get one colour being dominant in an image i think it makes it harder to process. at the least you will have to pay very close attention to the histogram when shooting to make sure you don't blow out one channel first.

try and get some directional light coming from an angle to give me texture to the petals? a big cloudy day will make the slightly curved surfaces evenly lit and not show the subtle detail.

post some examples if you want.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the camera, the color and the colorspace in use. Non-primary colors (as in red, green and blue) often are more difficult to handle in PP. Yellow is just very small in the chromaticity diagrams. Here's what the most usual color spaces look like - as you can see, yellow is small and color space is an important factor. Profoto offers the largest coverage:
    rgbS.png

Anyway, the way camera's split colors is also important (check out DxOMark if you want to know the details).
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

Here's one of the photos I took:

I think with the information above and working on using lighting I will be able to achieve a better result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, i think better light is where to start. a big window to the side, clear out the background of the shot if you can.