130 44.22%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac or PC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Ken Rockwell says that Macs are good so therefore they must be.
    So does Scott Kelby ... surely were not gonna say he doesnt know what hes talking about ?
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    So does Scott Kelby ... surely were not gonna say he doesnt know what hes talking about ?
    Well now that you come to mention it Darren.

Talking seems to be the one thing that Mr Kelby does know about. After all he was the one that was full of talk about how he was going to send copies of his book to the various photo walk winners around 12 months ago.

They are still waiting.

That is where the talk ends -- any attempt to email him is met by nothing other than return emails promoting his latest course / book etc. etc.

Maybe he spends too many hours staring at a Mac screen checking his bank statements?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed - there must be a dollar for him in it somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Well now that you come to mention it Darren.

Talking seems to be the one thing that Mr Kelby does know about. After all he was the one that was full of talk about how he was going to send copies of his book to the various photo walk winners around 12 months ago.

They are still waiting.

That is where the talk ends -- any attempt to email him is met by nothing other than return emails promoting his latest course / book etc. etc.

Maybe he spends too many hours staring at a Mac screen checking his bank statements?
    Hardly relevant to the thread though mate .. My point was that he being one of the leading Adobe gurus uses macs exclusively so they cant be too bad for playing with photos on, despite whatever commercial arrangement may be in place. And hes not the only one, as weve said .. over and over, and over, and over again.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Darren, I disagree, you brought up the point that he might know what he is talking about so I gave you an example of how he does a lot of talking but the truth is far removed from it.

Relate it to Macs and Adobe (Adobe not really being part of the subject either) and I say that Mr. Kelby is more a marketing 'guru' than anything else and probably does quite well with "sponsorship" from the likes of Apple who benefit handsomely from the exposure at the hands of aforementioned marketing gurus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to photo editing it would be a brave man that said he didnt know what he was talking about !! He may be a marketing guru mate but he sure spends a lot of time in front of a computer screen editing pictures .. and I would say in context of what machines someone such as he (and all the other Adobe professional) team choose is very relevant.

All good anyway ... you like chocolate, I like vanilla. So be it ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always been curious about the whole "Mac vs PC." Personally I'm a bit like I@m, bit of a tinkerer and build on a budget so can't quite justify the costs of the macs (but I do like them and the OS).

Guess is also depends on a lot on what you plan to use them for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a Dell.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Buy a Dell.....
    Or gateway? :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I have to admit that I have been looking at Macs. In the end, for the money I would need to spend on a Mac to do what I want it to do, I think I could spec up a pretty decent PC. Even in the end, the true Multimedia editing PC's that Mac offer are horrendously more expensive then the consumer model that everyone seems to buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pc given

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gookerz View Post
    pc given
    interesting first post mate ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres no voting option for me so I voted with my favourite.
    Mac...and PC. Yes I know I am weird...but I should explain.

I use a 15" Macbook Pro for work...and I absolutely love it...the stability and just about everything else I could think of. But the Mac is provided by my boss, so its fairly strictly for working purposes...which means I can't really use it for photography stuff.

My personal computer is a Dell XPS 1530 laptop, a bit older, but built with more than enough power for photoshop and high end tasks etc (was near top of the line when purchased). So most of the time it runs as a portable desktop (I travel a fair bit), with a 23" Samsung XL2370 hooked up. Its not as stable as the mac, but by keeping the bare minimum I need to keep it operating it generally performs adequately to get the job done.

TBH I prefer the Mac, but at this stage I can't afford a new laptop or desktop and my current versions of software are Windows...so hence I continue to use and run both.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that there is very little difference between the two platforms now! I originally went to a Mac because all graphics programs were written for that platform, not the case anymore, in fact Adobe only write certain film media programs for the PC. I still prefer the Mac platform because I understand how it ticks and can fix it myself if I need to.
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PC for me, but would consider a conversion
    A Camera, A Battery Grip, An Everyday Lens with a UV Filter, A Zoom Lens with a UV filter, A Prime Lens with a UV Filter, A bag, A computer, A Laptop, 2 Memory cards, a remote shutter release cable, Windows picture and fax viewer, Microsoft Office picture manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still using a G5 2.7 dual Mac which has been a great computer, but will have to soon look at updating to an intel Mac, probably an imac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was wondering what to get a macbook pro or a pc but i only want the 13" so should i i would not realy use it for editing just for other things or should i go 15"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhAT View Post
    i was wondering what to get a macbook pro or a pc but i only want the 13" so should i i would not realy use it for editing just for other things or should i go 15"?
    I have a 13" macbook for on the run stuff but its too small for serious editing. I do all my edting on my 24" imac.

13" is perfect for pretty much perfect anything other than serious post production work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thank you for your reply

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Guess the avatar says it all.

MacBook
    iPhone
    iPad

oh yes and an HP Pavillon running Vista (yuk) which will become an iMac in the not too distant future
    Fez (AKA Dave)

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast