• Mac

130 44.22%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac or PC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of getting drawn into one of these mass-debates , it's a bit simplistic IMO to compare general sales proportions to ownership on AP to conclude there's some great shift to Macs.

AIUI, Macs have always had a greater market share in certain graphical areas - design, manipulation etc, so it's not surprising that the proportion on AP might be significantly higher than across the board.

Conversely if you were to run the poll on a gaming forum you might by the same reasoning process conclude that there's been a shift away from Macs....
    SA

Canon 7D | Canon 30D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) | 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    No. In fact I think its quite the opposite. Most of the noise about Apple products comes from the PC/Windows users that wanna spend half their lives bashing them. In a non-Apple-specific forum such as this one, I rarely hear any Apple users spruiking the products other than to say that they are happy theyve made the switch, and I certainly dont hear much PC bashing from them. So in reality, it makes me wonder who the more "self-conscious" group is mate ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ^ You have worldwide and Australian sales figures in the rough order of 95% to 5% (long-term average; been as low as 1% and as high as 10% but average is around 5) and a forum vote in the rough order of 50-50, and you don't think it's out of whack? You're dreamin' sunshine.

Oh well, believe what you please and never mind looking at the evidence. No skin off my nose.
    Above I was quite obviously responding specifically to your comments about Apple users spruiking the product, I also notice you didnt refute my response and preferred to speak of sales figures (what that has to do with my comments on the AP POLL Im not sure ??), so ill take that to to assume that you agree PC users are usually the ones whining about Apple and not vice versa ?? OK good. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowA View Post
    At the risk of getting drawn into one of these mass-debates , it's a bit simplistic IMO to compare general sales proportions to ownership on AP to conclude there's some great shift to Macs.

AIUI, Macs have always had a greater market share in certain graphical areas - design, manipulation etc, so it's not surprising that the proportion on AP might be significantly higher than across the board.

Conversely if you were to run the poll on a gaming forum you might by the same reasoning process conclude that there's been a shift away from Macs....
    fair enough too Snow ... but that is exactly what I was alluding to, the ownership of macs amongst AP people. I remember a similar poll a long while back here on AP and the gap was much larger if I recall correctly .. hence my original comment.

Vince (AP member : virgal_tracy) reported on his visit to PMA the other week and quite clearly stated that he did not see one single PC on display or in use. Every single stall was displaying their products on macs. Its a fact that it is the preferred platform amongst the creative type such as photographers (thats what we are here right ?). Has been for a long time now. Quite obviously gaming is different (presumably, Id rather stick needles in my eyes than play video games)
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a fact that it is the preferred platform amongst the creative type such as photographers (thats what we are here right ?). Has been for a long time now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavvvvvin View Post
    You disagree ??

As I say .. ask Vince what he saw at PMA

Mod note: Personal attack removed
    Last edited by Kym; 23-06-2010 at 7:29pm.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yawn! Who cares? Its the apps you can run and what works for you.

Microsnot are bastids! Apple have product lock in! Corporately they are as bad as each other. Both want to make lots of $$$$$$$$.

See: http://www.johnchow.com/some-funny-s...ates-captions/

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the poll results .. seems more and more are making the switch
    I beleive this to be the case also. Sales figures simply reflect the market place that is the best fit for the MAC. I have been in IT since Moses was a boy, consulted on all types of sites even back in the days when IT was the top paying job and before the IT dooms day that killed off those dream jobs and now we are like Rugby players sharing that capped salary - jezz, I am feeling old.

I think you are right bigdazzler, quite a number of the young techo's seem to be moving towards MAC, I here talk of stability and compatabilty being praised by them too.

Will move to a MAC eventually - too focused on buying my new camera kit to put money to an iMac at the moment so took the cheap option and bough a second, quality monitor.

The MAC is very dominant in its primary area - graphics - but MAC are quickly broadening the scope of these PC's. If Apple / MAC can keep their focus I really think there is a change in the wind computer wise.

Mike
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great captions, Kym!

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Microsnot are bastids! Apple have product lock in! Corporately they are as bad as each other. Both want to make lots of $$$$$$$$.
    No. Apple are worse because Microsoft only lock you in and rip you off on the software side - you can still buy your hardware in a competitive market; an incredibly competitive market in fact, where consumer value just keeps getting better and better every year.

Apple, on the other hand, lock you in and rip you off on both sides of the hardware/software divide.

But then again (I think I'm up to the other, other hand now) you can easily escape from Apple's nasty consumer lock-in and horrible prices by simply never buying any Apple product - it's not as if there aren't a zillion cheaper, better alternatives for most of them - whereas escaping from Microsoft is a great deal harder.

Summary: Apple are worse than Microsoft, but Microsoft are harder to escape from. Toss a coin.

(Assuming you still have one after dealing with those bastard companies for any length of time.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would call myself a Mac user as I use Mac's at school and my main machine is a 27inch iMac.

At home there is a pretty big collection of computers.

My two:
    iMac 27 inch, running Mac OS X
    Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, running Windows 7

Younger sister:
    Compaq laptop, running Windows 7
    Dell Studio 15 laptop, running Windows 7

Parents:
    Dell Inspiron 9300, running Windows 7
    Acer laptop, Windows XP
    Dell desktop, Windows XP
    Acer laptop, Windows Vista

And there is numerous old computers in the shed...

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a fact that it is the preferred platform amongst the creative type such as photographers (thats what we are here right ?).
    Gasp!, light fast breathing - I don't have a MAC, noooo, does that mean I have lost my photographers creative mojo :-).

Quite obviously gaming is different (presumably, Id rather stick needles in my eyes than play video games)
    I am with you there mate - rather pull a tooth with a pair of rusty pliers, than load up vid games. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Gasp!, light fast breathing - I don't have a MAC, noooo, does that mean I have lost my photographers creative mojo :-).
    not at all mate .. Im not saying that no photographers/graphic artists/desktop publishers/web designers etc. use PCs at all. Im sure there are plenty that do, like yourself. But it is pretty common knowledge that macs are preferred amongst that set. Again, at the risk of harping on it (which no-one else in the thread seems to want to acknowledge .. funny that), I say again, ask Vince about what he saw at PMA, and these guys are the big players in the industry, so thats gotta tell us something right ??

Anyhow, from my point of view alone, ive had PCs (2000, ME, XP, Vista) and they have ALL stopped working for me at some point or another. I switched to mac nearly two years ago, still have the same machines, and they havent skipped a beat. Thats good enough for me

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not at all mate .. Im not saying that no photographers/graphic artists/desktop publishers/web designers etc. use PCs at all. Im sure there are plenty that do, like yourself. But it is pretty common knowledge that macs are preferred amongst that set. Again, at the risk of harping on it (which no-one else in the thread seems to want to acknowledge .. funny that), I say again, ask Vince about what he saw at PMA, and these guys are the big players in the industry, so thats gotta tell us something right ??

Anyhow, from my point of view alone, ive had PCs (2000, ME, XP, Vista) and they have ALL stopped working for me at some point or another. I switched to mac nearly two years ago, still have the same machines, and they havent skipped a beat. Thats good enough for me
    Ha LOL, doesn't bother me really, only my lame attempt at humour. Yea, in brief I said pretty much the same in another thread on this topic - Just ask any IT guys how often they have to reboot the Windows servers, most will probably say pretty often. I was asked to recycle one of my Linux servers a while ago as it had been up over a yr without reboot and still no performance issues. MAC now running Linux under the covers - yea bring it on.

Wish list: upgrade my camera kit, uy an iMac with dual screens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You disagree ??

As I say .. ask Vince what he saw at PMA

Yes, that's what the rolling eye smiley tends to imply.

I don't really care who saw what.

Mod note: Personal comments redacted.
    Last edited by Kym; 23-06-2010 at 9:37pm. Reason: Mod note: Personal comments redacted.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The baiting in this thread is to stop immediately, otherwise we will be issuing either temporary or permanent site bans!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's what the rolling eye smiley tends to imply.

I don't really care who saw what.

Mod note: Personal comments redacted.
    Yet another intelligent response.

I'm done with this guy Rick. I'm bowing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another intelligent response.

I'm done with this guy Rick. I'm bowing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think someone who spews out gems such as
    Its a fact that it is the preferred platform amongst the creative type such as photographers (thats what we are here right ?).
    is in any position to criticize someones elses intelligece.

I'm sorry for not caring about what someone saw at the PMA show. Maybe there is some truth to Apple users being self-conscious. I bet if everyone was using PCs next year you would be boasting about how great they are.

I bet you're so self concious that you came back just to read this even though you bowed out

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think someone who spews out gems such as is in any position to criticize someones elses intelligece.

I'm sorry for not caring about what someone saw at the PMA show. Maybe there is some truth to Apple users being self-conscious. I bet if everyone was using PCs next year you would be boasting about how great they are.

I bet you're so self concious that you came back just to read this even though you bowed out
    After my warning in this thread, which you seem to have chosen to ignore, consider yourself banned!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just switched to Mac a week back and its great. So much better than Windows already. While I'll need to run a copy of Windows for one application I'll be running Mac for everything else, it just works so much better.

My Dad just bought a new Sony laptop and while its nice, it still doesn't feel as good as the MBP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Just switched to Mac a week back and its great. So much better than Windows already.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Macs here.. ever!

Hardware upgrades/fixes for Macs are just not an option for me(on a limited budget)

Hardware breaks. a fact of life, and no device is immune to the posibility.

I want my devices to last 10years or so, and just about al my devices have either past that stage, or about too.
    How many 10year old Mac users out there?

If you're the type that upgrades every two years, then Macs seem to be perfectly fine for running numerous applications, but all the good/best stuff seems to be Windows specific.

One of my nieces recently purchased an iMac that cost a whopping $2.5K!
    For $2.5K I could have owned the WinPC universe!
    but instead I limited my budget to $1.4K instead.

As Tony said, Windoze rules the value for money world(if you know where to look or go to get stuff).

Cheapo generic graphix card on my 7yo PC died a few months back and I had to do something about it(even tho I had no money at the time).
    So I bought myself the bits and pieces required to do so(something i actually enjoy doing is building PCs too).
    So whilst at the store I also paid for another cheapo generic graphics card for the old PC.. just to see if that was really the issue. Grand total cost of thatVGA card was a whopping $29!!
    That old PC is now slated to serve my kids over the next few years as they need it for their schooling.

I'm curious as to how many recycled 10year old Macs are doing service to kids that need to run programs like .. PowerPoint.

..nope! The sooner Macs are legislated out of existence, the sooner world harmony may happen

oh!... and the sooner that M$ is destroyed as the monopolistic and evil empire that it is... the sooner they can begin proceedings on the Mac problem too.

BTW! The comments made about how much 'better' the Macs run compared to the old Windows PCs is a moot point! Of course it's going to run better.. it's a newer and faster machine! A one year old PC has half the processing power of a current gen model!

From a rough comparison of what I've seen of the difference between my nieces iMac and my (AMD) PC, there is either no difference in performance, or a slight edge in favour of mine(AMD Phenom 955).. at that's simple things like just opening a browser or an file Explorer window.

So in updating from my old PC to my new PC.. the new one runs faster and better and smoother...

no baiting here.. just a bit of perspective!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken Rockwell says that Macs are good so therefore they must be.

Errr hang on, that's the same Ken Rockwell that says tripods are useless but we all know that is garbage.

But then again, maybe Ken is smart after all because he is espousing the wonders of a jenuuuine made in the good old USofA Gitzo knock off tripod from RRS today.

So are Macs any good?

Is Ken Rockwell an ex football playing left half back flanker?

Do we really need another overpriced tripod on the market when the Koreans seem to be able to make everything from computers to tripods to football players better than the Americans anyway?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast