• Mac

130 44.22%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mac or PC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mac mini (with upgrade), 17" macbook pro, Mac pro..... cant use iphones here, sat phones are as useless as T*ts on a bull here so a I phone would only get a reception on it if I chucked it at someone....

The Macmini has previously been used for a design business 4-5 years and only ever turned off when we have moved house. Thats pretty good going in my books

somewhere... I have a Dell with vista bloatware (shhhh dont tell anyone) ... I think its holding a door open or the dogs scratching its bum on it some where......

After going to mac I will never go back..... EVER... it even shits me just using the PC's at work
    I have one of those thingys.... you know... that take ummmmm... pictures....??!?
    and oh yeh, some other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I just converted to Mac....just out of the box this arvo......imac 27" refurbished, quad core i7....and once I get the erganomics worked out ( boy am I gonna have a sore neck in the morning! ) I think I am gonna love it. Very intuitive to use. fast as all get out even tho it only has 4 gig ram ( saving for more ram now ) awesome screen! did I say awesome screen???
    Still a lot more learning and playing to do but YAYAYAYAY!!!!
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this computer is my only comp atm so it does everything haha

CPU:intel q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    RAM: G skill 6gb 1066Mhz Ram
    HDD: 2 500gig sata 2 drives and 3 2tb WD drives
    Graphics Card: nvidia gtx285 graphics card
    Monitors: Benq v2400w monitor (16:10) and a Benq g2420HD (16:9) for my monitors
    Sound Card: creative soundblaster fatality pro titanium series

if peripherals are required as well

Logitech g15 revised edition and a razer mamba mouse
    Ben

Camera: 7d
    Lenses: Canon 17 - 55 f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4
    Flash: 430 exii

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linux Ubuntu
    Its very fast!

Desktop with thumbnails. Multiple (tabbed) Desktops.

Photo viewer and organizer which has basic editing.

The gimp plus plugins RAW file management and the best png compression.

Tools available

Raw studio basic lightroom like tool.
    Darktable is a lightroom clone.
    Inkscape an Adobe vector tools clone
    Paint specialized brush tool that works with my GFX tablet.

Phatch Batch resize any folder from the menu
    Krename Batch rename an folder from the menu

Nautilus file browser which makes windows explorer look toy like and amateurish. Why? Its really fast, super fast and I can scale the thumbs and zoom in, I can flip between dates and views instantly, no re-cache of thumbs.db. It loads thumbs about 100 times faster than explorer, even on a low spec system. It has superior file handling and I can get plugins like batch resize, batch rename, touch (date) tabbed folders, quick bookmarks and so on instantly.

Unlike Explorer Nautilus will thumb as you view or from top down. So if you are looking for image number 2000 in a folder containing 6000 it will thumbnail the first row you are viewing, you don't have to wait...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exwintech View Post
    A Vote here for Linux - seems to be no Button for it....!

In Australia, Linux is indeed rather a minority thing - only about 86,000 Linux home PC users.
    I would love the luxury of being able to use Linux but my preferred photo editing software will only run under a windows or mac environment.
    And, no, The Gimp can't replace it.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an iMac. It is my first mac since the late 90's. I'm very happy with it, the range of available software for it has increased greatly over the years. I can even buy cheap software through my employers work for home program (mainly Microsoft and Adobe products). We still have a couple of family pc desktops, my work laptop (pc), and my wifes laptop (pc). I'm probably more familiar with the Microsoft OS just because of the greater exposure to it, but the iMac is pretty easy to use. Most problems I've had when trying to do something are based on my previous pc experience. Recently I was stumped when I needed to un-instal some software. I was looking for the un-installer but couldn't find one. A bit of a search on Apples web site and I found just how easy it was, just drag the software icon into the rubbish bin.
    Cheers
    Col

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just ordered an Imac 27 w 17 processor and 16g ram so I hope they are as good for graphics as most say they are, having said that, I have so much productivity tied up in windows at present im converting my PC to w7 and upgrading ram on that as well. Gotta say though cant wait for the mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could get fusion and run all your windows software on the mac if you wanted. I was going to that, but then found I could buy the mac versions of Office and CS5 fairly cheap through work, so I just bought them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vista laptop, XP desktop.....but I reckon next year I'll move to Mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinl View Post
    You could get fusion and run all your windows software on the mac if you wanted. I was going to that, but then found I could buy the mac versions of Office and CS5 fairly cheap through work, so I just bought them.
    I have considered that but have found time and again that the more crap you try to get a computer to run, the less effectively it runs anything. The mac is being bought as a graphics machine and Ill probably let the w7 machine handle every day stuff but I dare say after the novelty wears off the regime may change.

Geoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squizzytaylor View Post
    I have considered that but have found time and again that the more crap you try to get a computer to run, the less effectively it runs anything. The mac is being bought as a graphics machine and Ill probably let the w7 machine handle every day stuff but I dare say after the novelty wears off the regime may change.

Geoff
    They tell me the mac will run Microsoft software through fusion with very little performance drop, but then they were salesmen?

I used to live down your way. In Lemon Tree passage (Port Stephens).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macbook 5.1 13,3" Aluminium
    2.4 Ghz CPU
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB HDD

They tell me the mac will run Microsoft software through fusion with very little performance drop, but then they were salesmen?
    I Instaled Win 7 in my Mac through Paralles Desktop just for using Mapsource, I don´t know if its real but I feel it starts faster and works faster than in my old PC (similar specs). I Liked Paralles desktop as is integrates and you work as in "one OS"...and it came free with the Mac . i.e.: you have a file in the desktop, if you double click it will directly open the Mac OS or Win aplications that corresponds (One you loaded Win)

...long live to the VIC 20!...
    Last edited by Patagonia; 18-12-2010 at 1:06am.
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the other option is virtual box which is a free OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Core 2 duo 2.13 overclocked to 2.8 gig on a asus p5b mobo
    4 Gig 800meg ddr2
    512meg ati Radion (el cheapo replacement for a dead Nvidea Card)
    320 gig internal 2 terry bite bakup
    all on a 32" 1920x1080 Hitachi TV ...

Doom never looked so good
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what an absolute head *%@#

who on earth wants to have to tweak this, command that, upgrade this, patch up that, use 3rd party crapware to run a simple piece of software...geezus, it's hard enough trying to get used to new software. Plug and play all the way baby! as long as it has enough grunt to edit a 15meg NEF in photoshop I don't give a monkey's what platform it is...

oh btw, Dell PC Lappy is what I'm punching away on at the moment and I won't get into how big my bits are!
    Last edited by jjhtt; 03-02-2011 at 3:21pm.
    J e f f

D90: with optional noob skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a HP 17" notebook running Win 7 at the moment, which does OK with CS5 and Lightroom though can be a smidge slow at times, and I've used PCs since way back when, buuuuuut I'm seriously considering getting an iMac. I think I could very quickly get used to a 27" quad core i7 with 8Gb RAM. Hmmm ... decisions, decisions.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gamble View Post
    Mac's great if you want to tell eveyone you have a Mac.

PC is for people who want a computer they can use, have control over, customise, optimise and functionalise without spending money on aesthetically pleasing plastic casings and painful proprietary connectors.... and then again a year later and then again two years later.

PC is flexible computing

Rubbish!

Mac is Kit computing

Depends what you want and what you're doing and how much you care about spending more money unnecissarily.

My two cents... (which i saved by bying a PC)
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PC user here

I remember the old Commy 64's - so many memories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Macbook Pro released today, I've ordered one and will be selling my recently purchased one simply for the new Thunderbolt port, but the improved GPU and new quad i7 will be nice too. Makes USB3 look like a snail with bi-directional 10GB throughput and daisy chaining displays and HDD. Its a good update I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Switched over to mac about 6yrs ago now. Dont think I would go back to PC.
    All my apple gear works seamlessly together.
    Have iMac, Mac book pro, iPad, and iphones.
    Why would i want to go back to PC now that i think of it.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast