Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7D v 50D v 40D (v 5D2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7D v 50D v 40D (v 5D2)

It was asked that we provide some images to compare the 50D and new 7D cameras. Micheal created a thread early showing the ISO capabilities so this time we consentrated a little more on a static image that we can compare. I had to reduce the image sizes to 1024 so we could load them here, but if anyone is interested I can load the full size version onto my website. I used BDSizer 3.3.0 to resize the images.

All camera settings: 13sec, f8, ISO100, 30mm. We used the same 24-70 L 2.8 lens for each shot to remove any lens differences. The cameras were all set to the same settings for WB, NR, etc.

40D

50D

7D

5D2 (we kept the lens at 30mm just to see the difference between x1.6 and full frame)

I will add some major crops tomorrow (taken from the full size images) so you can see the detail/noise differences. I also took a zoomed (48mm) shot with the 5D2 to make the framing look the same if you think thats worth posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a huge difference width wise with the 5D.
    Third one's the best,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'm only saying that becauase i just spent all that money on one
    Last edited by dulvariprestige; 28-10-2009 at 1:28am.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will never be much of a difference in controlled testing... Once the going gets tough, the pro series cameras will always come out on top

Canon 5d MKII w/ Grip - Canon 40d w/Grip - Canon 17-40 f4L - Canon 17-55 f2.8ISL - Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro - Canon 24-70 f2.8L - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - Canon 50mm f1.4 - Canon 85mm f1.8 - Canon 70-200 f2.8L - 580EXII - 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WB definitely just gets better and better. Although it took me a few looks to decide if I liked the 7D or the 5D2 better in that regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40d looks darker, 50D & 7D both looks almost the same (can't tell which one's which if no name's mentioned) and 5dmk2's awesome without saying
    Nikon D700 | Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 | Sigma 50mm F1.4|Nikon 70-300mm VR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes I have a fit ball..

I am keen to see the 1024 crops of the images... To see the detail or lack there of in the 40D as I still think its a great back up body.. And the colours in it are fantastic.. And not that far behind the supposedly better 50d

As for the 5 v 7 debate.. They will take respectable images stationary but I am sure the 5 excels in places the 7 won't and vice versa, its the canon way..

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Allann. A very interesting comparison - I am looking at a body upgrade soon and went and had a play with the 50D and 7D (now in store) to get a feel for them in the hand. Your tests between the two are very interesting and helpful. After doing some in shop hands on yesterday I am am finding it hard to justify the extra cost. My plan was to buy the 50D and my long awaited 70-200L but there was some attraction to the 7D which would rule out the lens. I do a lot of landscape, starting a bit of portrait but a lot of equine stuff. Still less than 12 months in my journey of photography so still little experience. Do you think I will really be missing much (considering my experience) by going the 50D and not the 7D? Hard question but would be interested in your thoughts now you have done some comparison work.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention, these and some landscape comparison shots are all on my Website, go here if your interested. All the images are the jpg files straight from camera, haven't been altered in way. I have imported the RAW files into Lightroom but have not used them in comparisons.

I will attempt to get the crop shots up tonight.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Allann - will have a look.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm - seems to me the IQ is noticebly better to the 50D, infact, it looks pretty close to the 5D. Hmmm - I hate having a budget restraint. :-).

Thanks Allan.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting these, Allann, look forward to seeing the crops.

At ISO100, I wouldn't really expect to see that much IQ difference... it's crops at ISO800 and above that the better sensors start to shine.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to make these comparisons, they would be quite useful to those in the market. It makes me glad I got the 7d as it seems to stack up well.
    Quote of the day:

"Fame was like a drug. But what was even more like a drug were the drugs."

~ Homer Simpson

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few of the crops I promised. These are all from the same part of the image, the reason for the size difference is the crop factor and resolution of the camera.

5D2

40D

50D

7D

These are all from my gallery and here is the 7D original image.
    Last edited by Allann; 28-10-2009 at 11:07pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great comparisons - this is good to look at. Thanks Allan and I appreciate you posting this kind of information.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Pedro
    Very interesting. Doesn't look too bad. The camera is in the shops in Brisbane now! Is that where the council plan to build the new bus depot? That would be tragic so close to Oxley Common.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Very interesting. Doesn't look too bad. The camera is in the shops in Brisbane now! Is that where the council plan to build the new bus depot? That would be tragic so close to Oxley Common.
    The depot will be around 400-500m back up Sherwood Rd towards Oxley Rd from Oxley Common.

It's actually quite funny getting the councils newsletter (propaganda) in the mail about the 'community consultation' that is going on about the new depot, the council is coming across all ‘minimal impact’ and only a 1.17% traffic increase on Sherwood Rd and most traffics will use Fairfield Rd, etc. And 'we want to know what the locals think about the depot' which is a total waste of time and money for this stupid glossy newsletter as it's going to be built there regardless of what the locals think, and yes I'm one of those locals!

OK, I'm off my soapbox now....breath....ah.....
    Phill B

Canon
    <> 7D <> 10-22mm <> 18-55mm<> 70-200mm <>1.4x II <> 430EX <> Manfrotto Tripod & Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the effort guys. I can't wait to get my 7D. The step up from my 350D is going to be quite dramatic.

Cheers,
    Greg

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Allan. I have noticed a big exposure difference in your first lot of shots with the 50D being lighter. I have found that I usually have to underexpose my 50D to get correct colours.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more thanks

very timely as i'm considering upgrade also. appreciate some expert opinions and examples.

another question, for birds/wildlife is the reputed AF slowness (relative I mean) of the 5D a serious impediment compared to the 7D?

thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you a bunch! The wife is keen to take over the 450D so the 7D is not too far away... hopefully.
    cheers,
    ...Rex...

CANON 450D, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast