Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NTP Challenge: Shutter Speed

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What you have achieved there is referred to as 'painting with light', and it can have amazing results if you 'draw' around the outlines of things. Now looking at your photos, in Tv mode, have a look at the apertures your camera chose for each photo of differing shutter speed lengths. Learning the inter-relationship between shutter speed and aperture is one of the fundamentals of photography.

Good results, and it does look like the kids had fun!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went for a bit of a challenge this morning...I have a bit more respect for photographers now!

Snagged by wild blackberry & nearly went for a sixer on the 45 degree granite rockface.
    Attacked by a nest of meat ants (maybe I should have photographed them).

I am now aware that I need to improve on my lens changing dexterity on location in tight spots!

Pic's in order:
    1/15 F18
    1/100 F6.3
    1/500 F3.5

As the speed increases the aperture widens...Yes?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes as the speed increases the aperture gets larger to let the right amount of light in to get a good exposure. Also though, look at the water in the lower left of the frame and note the white foam bits, especially compare how the top photo looks to the last one. See how a faster shutter speed 'freezes' the water more, where the slower one captures some of the movement and leaves the water looking slightly blurry.

Think about what would happen to the water if you took this on an overcast day and had a shutter speed of say 1 second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is a magic little spot down the road...I might go down there very early one morning & experiment with the lower light levels.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgeous scenery... beats my hideous road shot. Lol.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Gorgeous scenery... beats my hideous road shot. Lol.
    Your 'hideous' road shot taught you something, that is all that matters. The only true 'bad photo'; is the one you don't learn from

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww thanks Rick. You're alright. Heh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - digging up an old post here but it inspired me to go out and practice panning and using longer shutter speeds!

1. Tour bus - moving really slowly as it just turned the corner. 1/40 sec

2. Highway - 130km/h zone - 1/60 sec

3. Another one on the highway in the 130km/h zone - even though the focus is on the rear of the vehicle rather than the front, I think this one turned out the best.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so Fallinghorse, what did you learn. This thread is about trying out new photographic skills and learning from the experience, so what have you learnt about your camera and settings whilst doing this challenge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh - I should have put that in my post - the first thing I learnt was that as the shutter speed slows the aperture closes to compensate for the amount of light the long shutter speed allows in. I practiced on a waterfall at the botanic gardens earlier in the day and the sun was quite bright - the aperture was f 29 & f32..... at first I thought I was mistaken until I sat down and thought about it

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is exactly what these challenges are for. Using what you have learnt about camera settings, you could now start to calculate the settings needed when you encounter a given situation in future. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the Av mode challenge but then got stumped on this for a bit. Mostly because I didn't understand what the numbers on the camera meant until after I took the photo and looked at the EXIF data - oddly enough the manual doesn't explain in enough detail to be helpful. My camera seems to have a wide range of options in this department including one that is 60 seconds! (at which point I thought that the camera had given up all hope of me being able to select the right setting and gone into hibernation).

With that in mind I failed to get exactly the right shutter speeds but I did manage to get 3 photos of a moving vehicle with approximately the right shutter speeds

1. 1/15th
    2. 1/125th
    3. 1/1000th

To shoot a moving object you should use a faster shutter speed, unless you want it blurry to show movement. The camera changed the f/ setting each time I changed the shutter speed, even so the first one is very light and they get progressively darker so I guess you need to be careful your shot doesn't get over or underexposed.

Thanks

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this challenge today but both my girls were sleeping so had to find something around the house that moved and ended up just putting the sprinkler on outside. But I wouldn't make a very good student because once I got out there I forgot which shutter speeds I was supposed to use and then I forgot to set the ISO and left it in auto. I took 4 photo's and there is a noticeable difference in the water drops but what I have also learnt from doing this wrong is that my camera actually adjusted the ISO more than the aperture, and even though the aperture did change it wasn't by very much, where the ISO in the 1st pic was 100 and the last one was 2000 so in future I should remember to set the ISO myself. I will attempt to do this challenge again tomorrow with the right settings and post the results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12