Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NTP Challenge: Shutter Speed

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

NTP Challenge: Shutter Speed

Well, you have had the chance to learn what the Aperture(A/Av) mode on your camera does.

So now we are going to look at shutter speed. For this Challenge you will need either a tripod or a stable surface to rest your camera on.

For this Challenge, set your ISO to 100 (or the lowest available), and your camera to S(Tv) mode. This mode allows you to change the shutter speed and therefore get creative with the effects that differing shutter speeds can offer Read the Learning Centre : Experimenting with Shutter speeds, to get more of an understanding of this mode.

I want you to go to a local street, and take 3 shots of cars going by. Each shot is to be taken at the following shutter speeds. If you cannot get shots of cars, find another subject that moves, and use that.

1/15th Second
    1/100th Second
    1/500th Second

Present your photos in this thread, and tell us your findings and what you have learnt. Remember to either use a tripod, or some sort of surface, to ensure your camera doesn't move during the shots.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick you'll have to post more of these challenges please... every time you post a new one, we get rain and I can't take part until it stops
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and ITS dark out there now okay,okay, I will do them in the morning when the thunder and lightning stops.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Um, they dont close ever, so you can go back to the older ones and do them..if you want to.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!!! I'll see what I can do tomorrow (if it doesn't rain).
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay i am going to sounds extremely dumb, but i need to ask as i'm confused. (I am just venturing away from Av which i'm confident with now, so moving on to Tv)!

I don't understand how to read the shutter speed on my camera..i have sat at taken shots at different speeds in a bright area, but they all seem a bit delayed..can't figure out which is the fastest.
    So the very first one the display screen is display at 30" can you explain to me what that means does it mean 30 seconds? as it is quite long...
    then a bit further along it going 2" 1"6 1''3 1" 0''8 down to 0''3 then it goes to 4 up2 8000.
    which one is the fastest...I just sat here (in the lounge not so bright..just natural light from the window) and set the camera to Tv and shutter to 8000(i'm assuming thats the fastes? with 30 being the slowest) i tried it at all diffrent ISO from 100 up2 3200 100 coming up black, and then the picture just being visbale at 3200 - so i'm thinking this is to fast yes? shutter is moving to fast not allowing enough light in? (sorry if i'm dribbling i'm trying to work it out as i type, and get corrected as i go).
    SO my question is with 8000 being to fast and 30 obviously i need to find somewhere in between. haha
    The challenge says set it to 1/15th, 1/100th and 1/500th - can you please explain how that would read on my actual camera display? is it just the number 15, 100, 500?
    Does the " mean seonds and just numbers mean of a second? and the 1''6 mean 1 and 1/6 of a second?
    Sorry i have problem confused anyone reading this...hoping i am kinda on the right track! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine reads 30" 25" ..... 15" ..... 1" , 1/1.3, 1/1.6, 1/2, .... 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, .... 1/15....1/100, 1/500.... 1/4000 which by my understanding means 30 seconds, 25 seconds, 15 seconds....... 1 second 1/1.3 of a second, 1/1.6 of a second, half a second, third of a second etc up to 1 fourthousandth of a second. We are just not used to fractions being expressed as 1/1.3 or 1/1.6 etc which if my rusty maths is correct is 10 thirteenths and 10 sixteenths of a second :-)

jj

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's similar to Inspired. I can say that if you see x" (where x is a number and the quote), it is the number of seconds. If it's just a number by itself, it's 1/x seconds.

The slight difference is that mine shows 1.6", not 1"6 (which is 1.6 seconds).

Hope that helps...

Oh, and I have to apologise, I was supposed to do this challenge 2 weeks ago, I forgot!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My go at the Shutter speed Challenge

Hi all, Went down to a local park and took some photos of a water fountain at a variety of different shutter speeds. The camera was out on the Tv mode, and no other setting where adjusted other than shutter speed.

I took photos at 1/15, 1/100, 1/200, 1/1000, 1/4000.

The water in the photo at 1/15 appears to be a continuous stream (you cant see individual water drops). This gradually changes as I changed the shutter speed right up to 1/4000 where you could see individual water drops. Obviously at 1/4000 the shutter is opening an closing so quickly that the water does not move much (if at all) in this time.

Having taken these photos I thought I would open the shutter to 1 second. What resulted was a very bright (white) photo that lacked detail. It was all washed out. My limited experience tells me that the shutter speed allowed to much light in? So how do i take a photo with the shutter open for a second (or longer) without getting this wash out (or am i getting to far ahead of myself have only just started out?).

Thanks heaps

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt, good work here, you're getting the concept of shutter speed. Have a look at the exif data of your images for the change in aperture which is what the camera is adjusting for you to maintain a good exposure.

To answer your question about a 1sec shutter in a bright scene like this, have a look at the smallest aperture you lens will do (a clue it is in the first image posted above!) and you will see that any image you take with slower shutter at that aperture in this scene will be over exposed. Something you can do (which I haven't had experience with yet) is to put filters on your lens which will limit the light and allow longer exposures of bright scenes.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I am going to give this a crack this afternoon!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Matt, well done. There are a few things you can do to get a longer shutter speed.

1. Change your aperture to the smallest (f22 usually)
    2. Use filters on the front of your lenses (polariser or Neutral Density - ND)
    3. Shoot at a different time of day when the light is not so bright (dawn or dusk).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hellooooooo, do I post my efforts here or somewhere else?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Post em here with details of what you learnt from the challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so the quicker the shutter speed, the sharper the detail... ;-)

That was fun, heh.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, so you learnt that the faster the shutter speed, the more it stopped motion, but what did your camera do to aperture at the same time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah right... yes... f/32 on 1/15, f/14 on 1/100 and f/6.3 on 1/500... so the quicker the shutter speed, the wider the aperture as well...

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yep, there you go, you learnt the first part of the exposure triangle. Yep Triangle. The other part is ISO. Shutter speed/aperture/ISO all work together to create a 'correct' exposure. Learning how they interact is a big part of moving to manual mode.

Why not head over to the aperture challenge now and have a go at that one, and learn some more about how they inter-relate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick for the encouragement. Yep, I'll do that one next. Ta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few more photos

Hi all,

I took the kids out into the back yard and gave them some sparklers and took some photos in the Tv mode adjusting only the shutter speed. I took photos varying from 3.5 seconds to 15 Seconds.

The two photos here are 3.5 seconds and 15 Seconds. In the 15 second one I told my daughter to stand really still and only move her arms. She did a great job but as you can see even the slight body movement from moving her arms is enough to blur her. Some of the other photos I took, my wife walked through the frame and a ghost of her is stretched across the whole image.

Before I took the photos of the kids I took some general shots of the back yard using different shutter speeds. I was amazed at how good the photos turned out with such little light available. It showed me how shots at night (of still subjects) can turn out much nicer without the use of a flash by adjusting the shutter speed.

If nothing else the kids had fun

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast