Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Experts

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apple Experts

I have been a PC user always. These Apple computers do sound enticing however, even though they are expensive. I just priced an iMac Pro and it came to $27 000, but I guess I really didn't need four graphic cards and 32Gb of RAM. I have been looking at the Mac Mini, and it looks like a great little desktop computer. My current PC is, by no means, a stellar performer, but I did throw a $1000 video card in it about 18 months ago, along with another two gig of ram (i now have 4gb). It has got a bottom of the range core duo or something in it and a generic 7200rpm hard drive.

The Mini Mac that I have priced up is cheap, but it won't take anymore upgrades. It has a 2.26 core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 320gb 5200rpm drive.

My questions: will the Mac Mini perform at least as quickly as my current PC, and be able to competantly run my PC versions of Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS3? Would Aperture 2 be a better option on a Mac? Would my Samsung Sync Master 226BW monitor connect seemlessly to the Mini? What is iWork like compared to Office, and can I sync my iPod Touch to iWork? Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can get MSoffice, and Open office for mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL a 27k Mac Pro? Making the new Toy Story movie on the computer Tom?

I looked at the Mac Mini too a while ago, but the staff I spoke to at the Apple Centre said my current PC which is similar to yours, with a less powerful card, will run better by handling more threads simultaneously or something, im not an computer expert.

the inability to upgrade further was the stopping point for me, I dont want to buy into a system where I cannot upgrade later on if I wanted to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know much about the mini mate but I can tell you my 24" imac 2.8GhZ/4GB ram/320GBHDD runs Aperture/PS/Safari/macmail/MS Office and anything else I want simultaneously like a dream ..

My 13" macbook 2.0GhZ/4GB ram/160GBHDD is just as nice to use .. only thing that stops me doing serious editing is the small screen.

I love my macs
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well unless you install Windows on it, then no, it won't run your current PC versions of those packages. You'll need OSX versions.

You'll also need the optional mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter for your monitor, but otherwise it'll plug in an work just fine.

Haven't really used iWork. Office 2008 plays well with Office 2007 on PC, if interoperability is something that's important to you. I rarely use office apps, so can't comment greatly on them.

Personally I'd find a MacMini too limiting, both in performance and expandability, although they do look tempting for a media box, or even a kids box.

The higher end iMacs are quite usable, but I'd be after a MacPro for my next Mac purchase.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you're going for a mac mini it will be the first of many macs. I started two years ago when apple first made the switch to intel.

If I was going to buy a mac mini now - which is a GREAT starting machine - I'd throw in a SSD disk (after market). I found the disk access quite slow.

Also the graphics performance for photo stuff is not ideal.

I've gone through mac mini -> imac -> macbook pro -> now with a mac pro.

I'll be looking at a tablet should they produce something next year.

Canon 5D Mark II, 16-35mm 2.8L, 24-70mm 2.8L
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey thanks for the advise guys. i am starting to think that i'll go for the macbook pro, and just plug into my 24" monitor when i'm not out and about. it sounds as though the mac mini might be a little underdone for what i need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    hey thanks for the advise guys. i am starting to think that i'll go for the macbook pro, and just plug into my 24" monitor when i'm not out and about. it sounds as though the mac mini might be a little underdone for what i need.
    Thats a great idea mate, I bought my macbook about 4 weeks after my imac and as much as i wanted to I just couldnt stretch the budget to a MBP.

This way you have the power, portability, and the screen real estate when you need it. Once you go mac you never go back mate .. Enjoy

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, it might be a macbook Dazza, not sure yet. can anyone tell me if another keyboard can be connected to the mac whilst it is in dock on my desktop, and can i use the monitor on the mac aswell as the desktop monitor at the same time (dual monitor setup)?

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, it might be a macbook Dazza, not sure yet. can anyone tell me if another keyboard can be connected to the mac whilst it is in dock on my desktop, and can i use the monitor on the mac aswell as the desktop monitor at the same time (dual monitor setup)?
    Yes, any USB keyb can be plugged in and will most likely work (I'm currently using a Sun Type 6 keyb on mine).

And you should be able to dual monitor on a MB / MBP. Definitely could on the older iBooks and PowerBooks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not sure mate but i cant see why you wouldnt be able to USB a keyboard to the macbook .. im assuming you mean so you can connect the external monitor and keyboard to the macbook then just push it aside and work from the peripherals on the big screen yea ?? as for dual monitors ive seen the guys in the Apple Store doing workshop demos using the macbook and an external display screen mirroring everything theyre doing, so based on that I cant see why not.

Before you buy anything TOM, check out the Apple Refurbished Store .. same warranty/return/service conditions as new products, and some significant savings to be had .. I saved nearly $600 off RRP on my imac.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys, and those refurbished units look appealing. i don't really want to mirror the image from both screens, but have, say, the image on my big screen and tools on the other (photoshop).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a lot of talk about a new product refresh of iMacs, MacBooks/Pro and Mac Mini possible this Month, so if you're not in a hurry maybe worth to wait a little.

now personally I'd grab the base model (just upgrade the CPU if needed) and buy other bits and peaces (RAM, HDD, etc) what ever is consumer upgradable without breaking the warranty somewhere else since they are way over priced with Apple. you can save a lot of money.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahm-m-m! Look to the left in case I'm coming from that field, but a friend of mine runs a complete Apple Mac setup on an PC. He runs the latest AM operating system. (I don't know exactly what that is, though.) Dunno if you know about this, but it saved him heaps on hardware. His only (very mild) lament was that he might be able to use an Apple Mac keyboard with its own keys. Just a thought, since I was using it for the Internet just last week. Am...

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting option, but i think that i would go the Apple route. NGP, do you mean grab the macbook as opposed to the macbook pro? what are the main differences apart from appearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom. THE only complaint with my imac is the absolute c##p apple mouse. Get a wireless microsoft mouse,$35.00, and make it a great experience..
    Mick.G.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Ahm-m-m! Look to the left in case I'm coming from that field, but a friend of mine runs a complete Apple Mac setup on an PC. He runs the latest AM operating system. (I don't know exactly what that is, though.) Dunno if you know about this, but it saved him heaps on hardware. His only (very mild) lament was that he might be able to use an Apple Mac keyboard with its own keys. Just a thought, since I was using it for the Internet just last week. Am...
    Chameleon EFI is the magic word.. but it won't run with every hardware, so you have to check the compatibility chart to see what works and what doesn't. but even so, there are still issues and it can bit of a hassle with driver compatibility/hacks.. personally I'd rather buy the genuine Apple product.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macs use their RAm more efficiently and in many cases are faster than a PC. And there is the huge + that you are relatively safe from viruses and trojans because the low lifes write them for PCs (in the main). You won't be sorry if you go MAc.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already got the microsoft wireless mouse, so all i need is the Macbook right, and i should be in the land of milk and honey!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting option, but i think that i would go the Apple route. NGP, do you mean grab the macbook as opposed to the macbook pro? what are the main differences apart from appearance.
    I was talking more of the individual components like Hard Drives, RAM, etc.. since those components drive up the price of your new system. as an example when I buy a new 8-core Mac Pro I buy the base model and upgrade in the options the two CPUs only (I could upgrade those myself too but is bit of a hassle).. once I get the tower I buy 4x 2TB HDDs, 6x 2GB RAM sticks and graphics cards through my IT distributer (you can get it through any store) and put them in myself.. same with my MacBook Pros I throw in my own HDD and RAM upgrades.. you probably can save anything from a few hundred dollars to a few grand that way..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast