User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Composition exercise: Contrast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Composition exercise: Contrast

Okay its not a very exciting subject , but that was not the goal today.

Amongst other things, today I was trying to focus on an element of composition, contrast. What I
    struggle with in composition is just about everything but contrast is one of the key ones.

Apparently, you are supposed to make sure the main subject or centre of interest has a clearly contrasting colour
    and hues etc cf the background so that the details and outline fo the centre of interest (the subject) is clearly
    defined - he cited a white wedding dress against a white wall as an example of what NOT to do.

So in this image I tried to set the treeline with the burnout areas highlighted below the regrowth and set the
    trees against a blue clear sky to bring out the outline of the trees at the top of the image= its not anywhere
    near a good contrast here but at least Im getting my head around one element of composition, contrast.

There is a nice leading line from the road curving in the right direction at the bottom and some texture *repeated
    shapes and colours mapping here too with the repeated tree line getting smaller into the distance which adds
    some depth cues to the image too....... gee I might be getting some idea about composition elements here.. maybe.

What about a clearly defined centre of interest/subject or dimensions or the rule of thirds or perspective or.. ?
    One thing at a time --

The 'fun' part was when I walked back to my car and saw a very big eastern brown snake slither out from under my car
    and head off into the bush (I left the drivers side door open, doh) ..I was there like 5 minutes tops and he/she scared the beejees out of me...anyway,
    here it is, the treeline not the snake- I dont chase snakes into bushland. For the entire trip back to Brisbane I
    was looking about in the car for snakes and checked it twice at 2 servos..stupid.

Last edited by David; 17-10-2009 at 1:59am.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You stuck this in 'fun' David, so I can't really give you much in the way of critique?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky the snake didn't go into the car I would have been checking it out also a heap after that
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miaow View Post
    Lucky the snake didn't go into the car I would have been checking it out also a heap after that
    Yes Cat, I am not known for appreciating the wonder and beauty of snakes, they simply freak me out; no I wont be leaving the car door open on the side of the road again

Rick: yeah mate I realised that AFTER I posted it... sent you a PM on this subject.