User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple Experts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NGP is right TOM .. as for HDD and RAM upgrades dont ever buy them when you buy the machine. Apple will try to suck the blood from you in that regard. I bought both my machines with the stock 2GB RAM and then bought my 4GB upgrades from www.epowermac.com.au (AP sponsor) the very next day for about 1/4 of the price Apple wanted.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The windows 7 is out next week I think and I have seen it running a movie and 2 other applications on a single core processor and 512 of ram.

You probably don't have Photoshop either Tom but if you do I believe PC and Mac are separate products which would be another cost.

Good luck with it.
    Peter

am wanting to learn, please feel free to rework my photos

Pentax K7 / Cosina 24mm f 2.8 mc / Pentax M 50mm f 1.4/ SMC Tokina M 135mm F2.8/ Pentax 17-70mm F4.0/

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have cs3 and lr2, so I'd be up for those two items again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    Yeah I have cs3 and lr2, so I'd be up for those two items again
    yep thats the downside ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM View Post
    I've already got the microsoft wireless mouse, so all i need is the Macbook right, and i should be in the land of milk and honey!
    I thought it was just me...

I have an 20in Imac with a secondary Dell s-ips panel.. If I had my time again, I would have invested the Mac money into a new PC. Not saying the Mac is no good, I like it but I don't buy into the hype..

MATT
    Last edited by MATT; 17-10-2009 at 7:48pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT View Post
    I like it but I don't buy into the hype..
    There is a little bit of that hype surrounding Apple products but it dont change the fact that they just work .. I switched a year ago and i can honestly say that this thing has not missed a single beat, no freezing, no hangups, no anything that it shouldnt do .. Cant ask for much more than that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LR2 is ok but CS3 is not I believe.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom
    I use a MacBookPro (late 2008 version) with a 23" cinema screen, an Apple bluetooth keyboard and a logitech bluetooth laser travel mouse.

One of the tings you will find is that there are never enough USB ports - one for the printer, one for for the external HDD, yadda yadda yadda. By using the bluetooth systems you free up the USB ports. Downside - the Apple keyboard has no numeric pad and delete is fn + del, but you get used to it.

Personally if your going to PP on a Mac notebook using CS3/4 whatever then a MBP is really the minimum especially when you get to stitching a few images together. Of course the more RAM the better and 4Gb on a MBP is considered the max. There are chips out there which will give you 6Gb from an 8Gb buch of sticks but I've never found the need. I also do recommend a screen other than the laptop screen for PPing. The Apple cinema screens are LED backlit just like the new high priced TVs and you will find tht they are over bright therefore you need to compensate your printer. Once set its fine.

Mac are certainly a great way to go but:

They are expensive to buy
    The software suited to Mac is just not there like Windoze and quite often its more expensive.

On the plus side they are far better at graphics than any other machine I have ever used.
    They are intuitive to use
    In many cases the software that you install is just one file (not the case for CS3) unlike Windoze which installs hundreds or thousands of files for one app.
    There is no registry to try and clean
    There are only a couple of viruses and you actually have to give permission to them to be installed before they become a problem. No virus software needed.
    You don't have to defrag your HDD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prang View Post
    LR2 is ok but CS3 is not I believe.
    Wrong

CS3 works just fine - its what I use

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaarggh...too many decisions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Wrong

surely youre using a mac OS version of CS3 though Mark ??

TOM has been using CS3 on a PC .. so his copy wont work on a mac, unless CS3 is somehow different to CS4, because you most certainly have to purchase the correct software for your platform. There is no universal version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Wrong

Yes what I was saying is Toms PC version probably will not work on a Mac but Light room 2 is dual install for PC and Mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didn't read full post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prang View Post
    Yes what I was saying is Toms PC version probably will not work on a Mac but Light room 2 is dual install for PC and Mac.
    Is LR protected by Adobe by online registration? If it is similar to CS3/4 you will have to purchase another license for it as your current registration would be PC. One way or another they are going to get you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    There is a little bit of that hype surrounding Apple products but it dont change the fact that they just work .. I switched a year ago and i can honestly say that this thing has not missed a single beat, no freezing, no hangups, no anything that it shouldnt do .. Cant ask for much more than that
    I do agree, but I switched from XP to Vista 64 on my PC and I have not had any Blue screen freezes or any weird behavior.

But essentially they both do the same..

I know you can run Mac OS on a PC platform with some mucking around, however if the OP ends up not liking the MAC you can easliy run Windows as a normal PC..

But if I had my time again. It would be a Quad PC with some nice 24" 8 bit panels.

Good luck to the OP.. The 24 imacs are sexy though..
    With CS I read somewhere once that another person that switched cantacted Adobe and swapped his PC license for a MAc license.

MATT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adobe will let you transfer your Windows licence to a Mac licence for a small fee. I think it was about $50 nearly 18 months ago when I enquired. Give their support line a call and they can tell you.

The two things you want are system and graphics RAM. As all the new iMac's and MBP's come with 4GB or 8GB system RAM isn't an issue but choose one with a decent graphics card for a desktop as the base models share system RAM for graphics.

That said though...

I have a 13" MPB and it is as good as my 24" iMac even though the MBP shares graphics memory and the iMac doesn't. Vista drove me to Mac early last year and I am sooooo pleased I moved away from windows.

Also after just spending 3 months travelling I can thoroughly recommend the 13" MBP over a smaller eeePC or similar. Comparing functionality with others whilst travelling the whole design, battery life etc of the MBP is brilliant for a small portable notebook computer.
    DM
    Nikon, Really Right Stuff, Gitzo, Manfrotto, Mac
    flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldn't recommend the mac mini, because of the limitations of further upgrades.
    Have you considered a 2nd generation Mac Book Pro 15" or 17" model. Talking about the Santa Rossa or Penryn cpu models not the later unibodies. I recommend these because you can pick them up a lot cheaper than the newer unibody MBP's, and there is room for upgrades plus you get the added flexibility of a portable notebook.
    The pluses are 64 bit compatible for use with snow leopard OS-X, especially useful with LR 2.5 a 64 bit program as you'd know.

I myself have a 2.4ghz C2D, with 6gb Ram, 80gb Intel SSD, with all my LR catalogs on a Raid-1 Mirror, off a pair of 1Tb seagate 7200rpm drives via esata express card port, i could not be happier as the thing is blisteringly fast.
    "Knowledge is a single point, but the ignorant have multiplied it."

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you lost me at Santa Rossa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nisstrust View Post
    The pluses are 64 bit compatible for use with snow leopard OS-X, especially useful with LR 2.5 a 64 bit program as you'd know.

t.
    I cant get my Imac to go into 64bit mode, followed online stuff still no dice...

MATT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT View Post
    I cant get my Imac to go into 64bit mode, followed online stuff still no dice...

MATT
    Checked the wiki and the only K64 cabable ones are these:

iMac iMac8,1 Capable

iMac iMac9,1 Capable

keys '6' and '4' on boot up should do it, and check then.
    Otherwise ... humm...

Tom check out the refurb store, always some well priced macs on there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast