Try using a flash

how about a ww 2 anti aircraft search light would that do the trick ian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    how about a ww 2 anti aircraft search light would that do the trick ian
    Hmmmm...........good thinking fella...........might be wise to up the aperature setting by 1 or 2 stops though lol lol....and maybe bounce the light off something else up there to avoid glare, maybe Uranus lo lol

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seesee View Post
    Hmmmm...........good thinking fella...........might be wise to up the aperature setting by 1 or 2 stops though lol lol....and maybe bounce the light off something else up there to avoid glare, maybe Uranus lo lol
    lol probable would ian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..................... I thought Uranus was another sort of moon ? ........................lol
    My Image Policy: Feel free to comment or edit as you wish.

Rebel XT
    Canon 18-55 kit
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG macro
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX APO HSM
    Sigma 150 f2.8 EX APO Macro DG HSM
    Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 APO
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super

http://spacejunk2.deviantart.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol...........Uranus ???.......I'm not sure, dont think I wanna know lol

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok having a hubby thats an astrophysisist i kind of fell into astrophotography... heres some hints on shooting the moon.

1. use a lens that is 200mm or longer....
    2. Aperture set to F/11 to start with... depending on your test then adjust or bracket your shot
    3. shutter speed should be set to your iso. so if you are using an iso of 200 then you shutter should be 1/200 or there abouts
    4. Always use a tripod and cable release (SLR).
    5. Use the camera's highest resolution setting (Digital).
    6. shoot while the moon is on the horizon, it looks much larger than it does in the sky...mainly because you have something to compare it too.

this is know as the loony 11” rule (f/11 at 1/ISO).
    Photos of the full moon are flat, photograph the Moon when its at crescent or quarter phases when the mountains and craters are illuminated from the side and cast shadows this will give more interesting pictures.

unless you use a telescope like i do. you are not going to get a full framed shot no matter how hard you try... unless of course its cropped in PS or the like

Hope this helps
    Sammi
    Last edited by Sammi; 04-06-2007 at 8:28pm. Reason: added more info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Ok having a hubby thats an astrophysisist i kind of fell into astrophotography... heres some hints on shooting the moon.

1. use a lens that is 200mm or longer....
    2. Aperture set to F/11 to start with... depending on your test then adjust or bracket your shot
    3. shutter speed should be set to your iso. so if you are using an iso of 200 then you shutter should be 1/200 or there abouts
    4. Always use a tripod and cable release (SLR).
    5. Use the camera's highest resolution setting (Digital).
    6. shoot while the moon is on the horizon, it looks much larger than it does in the sky...mainly because you have something to compare it too.

this is know as the loony 11” rule (f/11 at 1/ISO).
    Photos of the full moon are flat, photograph the Moon when its at crescent or quarter phases when the mountains and craters are illuminated from the side and cast shadows this will give more interesting pictures.

unless you use a telescope like i do. you are not going to get a full framed shot no matter how hard you try... unless of course its cropped in PS or the like

Hope this helps
    Sammi
    Thanks Sammi....off we go again........
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200 2.8
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8
    Nikkor 18-70 kit lens
    Nikon SB800 Speedlite
    and other stuff

I view stupidity as a virtue.....well it works for me anyway!
    Australian Photography Competitions- Have you voted yet?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like this...

(hainzel)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my attempt at the moon... though it was a while ago..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --Creation declares the glory of God--
    How can you look at creation and say there is no God?

Gear: 5DmkII // 350D // 16-35mm II 2.8f // Sigma 15mm EX DG Diagonal Fisheye // Sigma 70-200mm 2.8f // 580EX II // Manfrotto 055mf4 Legs + 488rc4 Head // Gitzo carbon fibre legs + RRS head // MBP + CS4 // Naneo Pro K3L back pack

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post

Sammi
    Hey Sammi,

I might be going of the subject here but i have a Pentax K100D and a 1000mm Reflector with 130mm of apature. i've been trying to get shot's of the moon but i can't get it in focus.
    I have used the camera on the scope and i have a extender tube but i can't reach focus even with a 20mm eyepiece.

Is there something that i could be doing wrong or is the extender tube too short. Would it be a lot of strain on the camera/scope if i extended the tube a bit more.

I hope you have some advise.

Cheers...

Roof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any tips for post-processing the moon, I mean in terms of presentation rather than correction processing?

I've got some half decent shots of the eclipse the other night, and I'm fairly up with it when it comes to photoshop to process individual images. I can, and have, processed the eclipse as individual shots and they look fine on their own, but in the end it's really still just the moon.

Can someone point me towards a photoshop guide/walkthrough on how to do those montage jobbies that show the different stages of the eclipse in one image. I imagine it involves merging the multiple images/layers but I'm not real good at that bit and need a bit of a kick start.

Thanks guys.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Mermaid
    Here's how I did mine Dave. There'll be lots of examples on the net (and in this forum) though.

Those are smaller versions of my originals to give you an idea....

Basically I just grouped all my "moons" together, but in sequence of how I shot them.
    In PS, you were right in saying you just have multiple layers (with this you just keep importing the next layer on top of the last) and then merge them all as one to save. Then you can add text if you want.....the choice is yours! There's not a "right" or "wrong" way of presentation, just what ever appeals to you personally which you think you would find compositionally appealing to others.

Good luck! The only limits are your imagination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mermaid, they look great. I've got a few ideas on composition, it's just working with the multiple images I haven't really done before.

Before you import each image, do you crop it first (eg a crop around the moon itself) and then place it wherever you want it, or do you import each image in full, move that where you want and then do an overall crop of all the full images.

Is there a "best" way to do it?

Mermaid
    Yep, I found that because my file sizes were fairly large I cropped each shot individually (and renamed saved the file ) before trying to layer them. This way they're much more manageable to work with and you can see where they're going a whole lot easier.

When I renamed them and saved a new file this was for two reasons. Firstly, so I was keeping the original file unaltered. (Insurance for mistakes! Plus you should always keep a copy of your original file anyway) And secondly, so I could rename the file to make it easier for what you're working on. Say, one, two , three etc....whatever works for you.

When you open each one though, open them on the same size/ratio. That way they're all going to look the same on the page (as in consistent noise, blur, focusing or whatever) and if you've taken them all at the same zoom setting (which you probably have) they'll all be identical in size so you shouldn't have to actually alter them.

It also helps if you've already decided how your layouts going to work, that way you can judge how much space you need.

Hope that made sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12