Thread: Autofocus micro-adjust

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    Agreed. The 7D manual asks [from memory] that is is better to do the adj in the field which we could conclude is their way of explaining for temp changes.

I had to add about 5points to my 400mm to get it pin sharp on an aperture of f/5.6 at a range of 10m. I'll be checking it again as the temp warms up. Ideally I'd suggest checking your lenses out in the field on an average temp day, say 25'C as a standard.
    I have added "micro-adjust" to the "My menu" customised menu, so that I can quickly access the screen whilst out in the field You can test focus accuracy at any time by just comparing the live view focus to normal AF (ie acquire focus in live view using contrast method, then switch of live view, then focus by pressing shutter half way and watch if the focus ring moves at all). I suspect I'll fidget with the settings for a while, arrive at a balance that seems to work most of the time in most conditions, and then leave it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by B D H View Post
    Hi
    Does this feature allow indivduals settings per lens ? i.e. is there a micro focus preset memory
    the reason I ask is, with my 40 D & 100-400L IS, like Riverlander has said I've long suspected things are not quite right

I took it to Canon at Nth Ryde & they told me they could adjust it (40D) but it could mean that other lenses I use may be then less than perfect, that & the 2 week+ turnaround turned me off the idea but now I'm not so sure - could be time for a 7D

Cheers
    Yes, you can adjust individual lenses. The body recognises each lens when you put it on (even non Canon lenses) and remembers the adjustment setting. Even if you chose to disable the adjustments, the Camera remembers them, so you can quickly flip between adjusted and no adjustment.

I think when it comes to sending you camera in to Canon for calibration, they recommend sending all your lenses and body, so they can all be calibrated together.

Just buy a 7D, you won't regret it
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how I missed this topic but as soon as I get my new 7D i'll check out my lens.

Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it make a difference if you did the micro adjust with your lens and a 2 x teleconverter? Would the camera recognise the combination as something different from the lens alone?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Would it make a difference if you did the micro adjust with your lens and a 2 x teleconverter? Would the camera recognise the combination as something different from the lens alone?
    My 7D does not recognise the Canon 1.4MkII converter. When I put that and the 400mm on it reads the set as a straight 400m and I need to increase the +5 microadj to +15.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating thread. Thanks for the discussion guys. Yet another reason to pine over a 7D.
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    My 7D does not recognise the Canon 1.4MkII converter. When I put that and the 400mm on it reads the set as a straight 400m and I need to increase the +5 microadj to +15.
    Do you mean the 400 f/5.6? If so, unfortunately only a 1 series can autofocus with the 400 f/5.6 + 1.4X

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    The 7D will recognise (say) a 70-200 and a 70-200/2.0x as two separate lenses, allowing you to record separate microadjust settings. Each time you change the combination (eg remove the 2.0x to leave just the 70-200), the 7D will automatically recognise the new combination and remember the appropriate microadjust setting. Very clever.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this threat Tricky and everyone's posts.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollen View Post
    Do you mean the 400 f/5.6? If so, unfortunately only a 1 series can autofocus with the 400 f/5.6 + 1.4X
    That's good clarification for others, however I was aware of that prior to the 7D purchase.

It can be seen in my sig that I only own the 400mm f/5.6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    The 7D will recognise (say) a 70-200 and a 70-200/2.0x as two separate lenses, allowing you to record separate microadjust settings. Each time you change the combination (eg remove the 2.0x to leave just the 70-200), the 7D will automatically recognise the new combination and remember the appropriate microadjust setting. Very clever.
    Thanks for that, I can't wait to get my hands on my 7D now so I can play with the microadjust. I will post my results once i've done them as I think they are going to be quite a way off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for those who's done this with a 5d2: If you micro adjust different lens with the camera, and achieve different "scores" for each lens, does the camera remember to apply the same adjustment to that lens everytime you put it on?

Thanks.
    Criticism & Suggestions welcome
    A pretty standard Canon setup covering the 17-200 range.
    Sigma 50 1.4
    Various film cameras

My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arubaato/

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arubaato View Post
    Question for those who's done this with a 5d2: If you micro adjust different lens with the camera, and achieve different "scores" for each lens, does the camera remember to apply the same adjustment to that lens everytime you put it on?

Thanks.
    I think the micro-adjust feature is the same for the 5D2 and 7D. Assuming it is, then the answer to your question is yes. You start by choosing an option in the microadjust menu to either apply an adjustment factor globally to all lenses OR to apply a microadjust factor for each individual lens. Sounds like you've already found this option, as you've reached different scores with different lenses.

Once each of your lenses has been adjusted, then your 5D2 will recognise when you attach (say) a 24-70 and remember the last microadjust setting for that lens. If you change the lens and attach (say) a 70-200, it will again remember the last microadjust setting for that particularl lens. I think your 5D2 can remember something like 20 lenses. It can even tell the difference between say a 70-200 and a 70-200 with a 1.4x converter.

What I don't know is if your 5D2 will be able to tell the difference between two identical model (say) 24-70 lenses - ie will it give both the same microadjust setting, or can it recognise two separate lenses of the same model? I'm assuming this isn't what you were asking - ie it would be unusual to have two of the same lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tricky.

re your last point, I've only got one of each lens I have (which is normal ) but when I get a chance I'll borrow someone's same lens and give it a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried using a printed chart that had to be held at an angle but it didn't seem to work very well. I'll try this method.

Cheers
    Alan
    Canon 7D

24-70mm f/2.8 L USM : 400mm f/5.6 L USM : 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L USM : 100mm f/2.8 macro : MR-14EX Ring Flash : Kenko 1.4x TC

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i tried doing this... but i couldnt see any changes really.. so i left both my lenses at 0

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Richard for posting this. I have been meaning to sit down and do it for a while and haven't had a chance. While away on my trip feild experiments made me think my 70-200 was front focusing and made an adjustment of +15 in the field. I know that sounds pretty extreme but it seemed to work.

Tonight I tried many different methods I found from your links and other searches. I couldn't really get the fancy pattern ones to work for me. I then found one listed near the bottom of one of the links you had. I traced it back to this thread where it is decribed in detail:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=58042

I found this really worked for me, I found it easy to follow and I am happy with the results. I ended up with an adjustment of +10 on the 70-200 lens which confirmed my suspicions.

Those having trouble mastering other techniques, try this one. One point though, the autofocus didn't work for me by setting quick mode. Easy way around it though, just close the live view and hover on the shutter button in the window and you will see you camera focus and lock in. Then just hit live view and follow from there.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what can I say. I just repeated at 100mm on my 70-200 and it was much worse. Found that it needs an adjustment of +20!!!

An easy way to sanity check is to set up the camera on a tripod and take an image at -20, -10, 0, +10 and +20 and them compare them side by side. WOW! No wonder my images were soft!

Tomorrow I will do another lens and see if it is a common issue to the body or the lens. The combo I have tested tonight is a 3 month old body and a 2 month old lens. Not real impressed, but at least I can adjust. Then I have to decide if it is worth the hassle of getting Canon to look at it all. *sigh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beer test

I tried a few methods of working out what adjustment was needed for each of my lenses, but in the end I settled for the beer cans method!
    I set up 5 cans so that they are at an angle AND so that they fill the frame with each individual lens at the setting, and distance, I use most of the time. This obviously involves moving the cans further apart (or closer) and changing the angle of the board.
    I then check where the focus is (it should be on the letter U in the middle of the frame) and adjust accordingly.
    Attached is a sample taken as a JPEG this morning with my Sigma 120-300 @ 300mm plus a Sigma 2x tleconverter to give 600mm. It was taken at f/11, 1/800 sec and about 6 metres away. It has only been re-sized.
    I generally start with full cold cans, and if it is not too windy they seem to empty themselves as the process progresses! Coca-Cola does not owrk......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Graham

Canon- EOS 7D with BG-E7 grip, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105L f/4; Speedlites 580EX II, 550EX, 430EX.
    Sigma- 18-50 f/2.8, 50-150 f/2.8, 120-300 f/2.8, 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, 30 f/1.4, 150 f/2.8 macro, Sigma APO 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters;
    Kenko Extension tubes; Benro- M-257 tripod & B-1 ballhead; Wimberley- Sidekick.
    Home made "bag" on wheels; heaps and heaps of other minor stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    Wow what can I say. I just repeated at 100mm on my 70-200 and it was much worse. Found that it needs an adjustment of +20!!!

An easy way to sanity check is to set up the camera on a tripod and take an image at -20, -10, 0, +10 and +20 and them compare them side by side. WOW! No wonder my images were soft!

Tomorrow I will do another lens and see if it is a common issue to the body or the lens. The combo I have tested tonight is a 3 month old body and a 2 month old lens. Not real impressed, but at least I can adjust. Then I have to decide if it is worth the hassle of getting Canon to look at it all. *sigh*
    My concern is that if you have found it to be best at an adjustment of +20 - who's to say that there is room for even more imporvement and it may need an (albeit non-existing) adjsutment of +25....+30? Frankly I'm not too impressed that >$1500 pro lenses and bodies need so much "fine tuning".
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    My concern is that if you have found it to be best at an adjustment of +20 - who's to say that there is room for even more imporvement and it may need an (albeit non-existing) adjsutment of +25....+30? Frankly I'm not too impressed that >$1500 pro lenses and bodies need so much "fine tuning".
    Couldn't agree more!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast