Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Autofocus micro-adjust

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it make a difference if you did the micro adjust with your lens and a 2 x teleconverter? Would the camera recognise the combination as something different from the lens alone?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Would it make a difference if you did the micro adjust with your lens and a 2 x teleconverter? Would the camera recognise the combination as something different from the lens alone?
    My 7D does not recognise the Canon 1.4MkII converter. When I put that and the 400mm on it reads the set as a straight 400m and I need to increase the +5 microadj to +15.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    My 7D does not recognise the Canon 1.4MkII converter. When I put that and the 400mm on it reads the set as a straight 400m and I need to increase the +5 microadj to +15.
    Do you mean the 400 f/5.6? If so, unfortunately only a 1 series can autofocus with the 400 f/5.6 + 1.4X

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollen View Post
    Do you mean the 400 f/5.6? If so, unfortunately only a 1 series can autofocus with the 400 f/5.6 + 1.4X
    That's good clarification for others, however I was aware of that prior to the 7D purchase.

It can be seen in my sig that I only own the 400mm f/5.6

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    The 7D will recognise (say) a 70-200 and a 70-200/2.0x as two separate lenses, allowing you to record separate microadjust settings. Each time you change the combination (eg remove the 2.0x to leave just the 70-200), the 7D will automatically recognise the new combination and remember the appropriate microadjust setting. Very clever.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    The 7D will recognise (say) a 70-200 and a 70-200/2.0x as two separate lenses, allowing you to record separate microadjust settings. Each time you change the combination (eg remove the 2.0x to leave just the 70-200), the 7D will automatically recognise the new combination and remember the appropriate microadjust setting. Very clever.
    Thanks for that, I can't wait to get my hands on my 7D now so I can play with the microadjust. I will post my results once i've done them as I think they are going to be quite a way off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for those who's done this with a 5d2: If you micro adjust different lens with the camera, and achieve different "scores" for each lens, does the camera remember to apply the same adjustment to that lens everytime you put it on?

Thanks.
    Criticism & Suggestions welcome
    A pretty standard Canon setup covering the 17-200 range.
    Sigma 50 1.4
    Various film cameras

My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arubaato/

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arubaato View Post
    Question for those who's done this with a 5d2: If you micro adjust different lens with the camera, and achieve different "scores" for each lens, does the camera remember to apply the same adjustment to that lens everytime you put it on?

Thanks.
    I think the micro-adjust feature is the same for the 5D2 and 7D. Assuming it is, then the answer to your question is yes. You start by choosing an option in the microadjust menu to either apply an adjustment factor globally to all lenses OR to apply a microadjust factor for each individual lens. Sounds like you've already found this option, as you've reached different scores with different lenses.

Once each of your lenses has been adjusted, then your 5D2 will recognise when you attach (say) a 24-70 and remember the last microadjust setting for that lens. If you change the lens and attach (say) a 70-200, it will again remember the last microadjust setting for that particularl lens. I think your 5D2 can remember something like 20 lenses. It can even tell the difference between say a 70-200 and a 70-200 with a 1.4x converter.

What I don't know is if your 5D2 will be able to tell the difference between two identical model (say) 24-70 lenses - ie will it give both the same microadjust setting, or can it recognise two separate lenses of the same model? I'm assuming this isn't what you were asking - ie it would be unusual to have two of the same lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tricky.

re your last point, I've only got one of each lens I have (which is normal ) but when I get a chance I'll borrow someone's same lens and give it a try.