User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photography editing: Do a course or teach yourself ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly self taught via trial and error error error error...error.

But also one of the best learning sources is the Digital Camera Magazine, the English version available every month from most newsagents. Apart from inspiring images to get your creative juices flowing every edition comes with an instructional CD covering all aspects of most PS programs all in easy to comprehend step by step instructions, as well as step by step instructions in print as well. Features more advanced instruction and simple to at least get you over initial hurdles.

A whole lot cheaper than paying someone to educate you, and a keepable reference library of CD's to refer back to at any time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    David I have CS3 if your ever down Tweed way give me a yell. happy to run through the basics with you
    PS you as well Avalon
    Thanks for the kind offer dbax,
    you might live to regret it though

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seesee View Post
    Mostly self taught via trial and error error error error...error.

But also one of the best learning sources is the Digital Camera Magazine, the English version available every month from most newsagents. Apart from inspiring images to get your creative juices flowing every edition comes with an instructional CD covering all aspects of most PS programs all in easy to comprehend step by step instructions, as well as step by step instructions in print as well. Features more advanced instruction and simple to at least get you over initial hurdles.

A whole lot cheaper than paying someone to educate you, and a keepable reference library of CD's to refer back to at any time.
    Thanks SeeSee: I will go look up the mag at my local newsagent this week and give it a go..if it saves me some money being taught by a so called at a course it will be a very welcome source
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend some of the free video podcasts you can download through itunes. You don't need to have a video ipod, as you can download and watch them from itunes on your PC. A couple that I subscribe to and can highly recommend are....

Photoshop for Digital Photographers (website has videos as well http://www.thedigitalphotographyconnection.com/ )
    Photography 101

These are very easy to watch, listen too and understand..

Enjoy
    Last edited by Outoflipsync; 11-10-2009 at 6:21pm.
    John

CC always welcome (I'm looking to learn)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." (Edison)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Gear: Pentax K200D & Sigma 17-70mm, Pentax 55-300mm, Tamron 90mm Macro. Editing with Aperture

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taught myself and look around the net or ask on things not sure on - Don't think I'd pay for a course on something unless really needed etc
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i myself am self taught. and i think its not THAT hard to begin with. the only hard part to begin with is knowing what you want to do in the first place imo. after that its just time consuming! if u knw where everything is what everything does (buttons, functions, symbols etc) then its pretty much gng to flow your way.

but dont take my word for it. i only do minor pp on my photos anyway.

if youre interested in portraiture post-processing i think this might be a really good ebook. ive yet to get it myself but eventually i will!

http://banhup.com/wordpress2/product...for-beginners/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a big C for me. I love it. There's just so much to learn it never gets dull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i found that just spending time in photoshop helped me alot. it also helps to do a couple tutorials from the net, they get you through the basics. Once you figure out what does what, you can pretty much just teach yourself.
    Also experimenting is great.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daletron View Post
    yea i found that just spending time in photoshop helped me alot. it also helps to do a couple tutorials from the net, they get you through the basics. Once you figure out what does what, you can pretty much just teach yourself.
    Also experimenting is great.
    After originally posting this thread, I realise there is no easy fast way; you pick up tricks from expereinced people, download a crash course or two, but mostly its experimentation and putting the time in to learn the skills just like you do with the camera..damn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    The youtube tutes are very good
    I watched a bunch of them and started to wonder how can you tell the good from the bad? So many of them seemed to start with "Ok, so the first thing I'm going to do is sharpen my image ..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Here is option I, seeing AK added a heap more to the list.

Organise an AP processing meet. Everyone takes their laptops etc and you go to someones house and spend an afternoon teaching each other.

I am self taught (books and videos), but I also learnt a lot from other photographers, by catching up with them and talking about processing methods etc.
    Ooh, yes! I would love to sit down with some of the folk on this forum and watch how they approach PP on their images.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    After originally posting this thread, I realise there is no easy fast way; you pick up tricks from expereinced people, download a crash course or two, but mostly its experimentation and putting the time in to learn the skills just like you do with the camera..damn.
    Yep that's exactly it.

I self taught, and pretty much did the same thing. Sometimes I knew what I wanted to achieve, but not how to do it, and that's where photoshop shines as there are so many tutorial videos on the 'net that it's almost impossible to not learn how to do what you want ;-)

Then it's just practice, practice, practice until you perfect that technique.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darvidanoar View Post
    Ooh, yes! I would love to sit down with some of the folk on this forum and watch how they approach PP on their images.
    Well if you're ever in my general area and want to drop by, just let me know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful dave, I might just take you up on that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magazines & Youtube
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I’m not mad.

Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tons and tons of ways to do it David.
    My wife and I are both self taught and every so often we keep gathering more ways to do things.
    Much of the basis for what I learned was through a site called www.photoshopessentials.com and the tutorials there.
    It's one thing to look at all of these things, but until you do each process with hundreds of photos, it's something thats still not intuitive until its a reflex.
    When I'm trying to learn something new, I apply the technique on to every photo I process so that it becomes engrained - (then delete the layer if its something that doesn't suit).
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Become a NAPP member. best $100 odd bucks you will spend. Google it.

Subscribe to the Photoshop User TV Podcast. Brilliant tips every week.
    Brodie Butler (Perth, WA)
    Photographer / Filmmaker / Retoucher
    Canon & Elinchrom user

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    Become a NAPP member. best $100 odd bucks you will spend. Google it.

Subscribe to the Photoshop User TV Podcast. Brilliant tips every week.
    You don't need a membership to subscribe, but yeah, I'm considering a NAPP membership myself (I'm self taught, but I've been using Photoshop for quite a number of years now).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.photoradar.com is a great site with tutorials on using elements and photoshop ... excellent site !!
    Ruthie

http://www.wix.com/berniemumble/Quin...al-Photography

' To photograph truthfully and effectively is to see beneath the surfaces and record the qualities of nature and humanity which live in all things .... ' Ansel Adams

Canon 5D MkII, 70-200mm L series, 50mm, 24mm L series, 100mm hybrid macro L series, 580XII flash, grip, monopod, tripod, wireless transmitter. Techy things: CS4, iMAC, wacom tablet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the above links and info..much appreciated.
    But digital dummy here has one question,
    Where/how does Lightroom fit in with Photoshop....?
    CC is welcomed & appreciated

5d Mark II

Photography by nature is spiritual, considering it comes from the darkness to show the light.
    - Kevin Russo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast