User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NTP Challenge: Aperture and Depth of Field (DOF)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've learnt...well
    I think the smaller the f number eg 5.6 the more light but can also become too bright and the colour can also be a bit washed out, whereas the larger f number eg f20 there is less light and the pix can be more true to the colour. Of course bigger number sharper the pix. Have I got it right? still doubting myself. If I've got it than I am not sure what to do with the washed out colour especially if you want a blur background.
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 50mm, Nikon 18 - 105mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out another thing about F stops. I was taking more shots on various f stops and discovered the sharper you get ie f20 the more shadows come into the picture, at f8 or f5.6 the shadows aren't as obvious. This must have something to do with the light but not sure what !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as part of my course i did, depth of field was one of the topics we covered. Here is one of my shots which I also used in my assessment. I had fun learning and playing around with it.

depth of field by melbphotography2011, on Flickr

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBsa View Post
    as part of my course i did, depth of field was one of the topics we covered. Here is one of my shots which I also used in my assessment. I had fun learning and playing around with it.
    So what did you learn? This challenge was about presenting photos and telling us what you learnt. not just posting them saying you had fun learning. The idea of challenge threads is that members present their photos and then talk about what they learnt about the challenge, to help others learn as well.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Rick, forgot to put that bit in. I learnt that smaller f number is smaller / shallower depth of field and larger f number is larger / wider depth of field. Shallow depth of field gives the blurred background, wider depth of field has everything in focus. Shallow is good for portraits where the background is busy, as it will blur it out. Wider is better for family portraits so that everyone is clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also shallow depth of field has a quicker shutter speed and wider depth of field is slower and may require a tripod or flat surface

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, can we have these NTP challenges as stickies, or in their own subfolder with a link from the NTP book? I think it would be good if you could, for example, read through the section on aperture in the NTP book then link to this thread where you could try out what you just read and post the results.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macrocephalic View Post
    Rick, can we have these NTP challenges as stickies, or in their own subfolder with a link from the NTP book? I think it would be good if you could, for example, read through the section on aperture in the NTP book then link to this thread where you could try out what you just read and post the results.
    No, cause we create new ones each year, and another will be created soon with a different challenge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't access the link =(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Well this is my first attempt at a challenge. I have read through the NTP section on Aperture and after a few attempts i have these photos of a bird of paradise in my garden using the av mode. I have had a lot of trouble using the av mode in that I don't seem to always get the results that I am hoping (using F5.6 but background still in focus) but after reading all the info on this site I think i am getting the hang of it.

For the first photo i used an aperture of F5.4 (I was sure i had used 4.5) and the second photo F38. The differences I noticed between the two was that photo one the background was out of focus which made the flower stand out more and become more of a feature. I noticed too that the colours were brighter on the flower than in photo 2. Photo 2 the flower doesn't stand out as much as the background is in focus. Any advice on how I can improve is welcome. Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good work Juanny. As you have found, changing the f-stop, changes what is in focus in your photos. You can use this knowledge to make your subjects stand out from the background, when you take photos in future. The other side of this is, that if you are taking a landscape for example, you should also know what f-stops are good for ensuring everything in your photo is in focus, from the rock in the foreground, to the distant hills. Keep practicing, and reading the NTP.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234