User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NTP Challenge: Aperture and Depth of Field (DOF)

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I just gotta laugh at myself. Lol.

Ok, so deciding which way to go really depends on the subject at hand.

My biggest problem is remembering/knowing how to set this manually - without relying on the EV meter... but I suppose that will come with more practice.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey don't laugh at yourself, it does take a while you get your head around these concepts, if it was easy we wouldn't have guides and challenges like this one!

Don't feel pressured to use manual, it is perfectly ok to rely on the EV meter, especially while learning. Check out this poll about which mode people use, the majority use Aperture priority!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    When out shooting subjects the trick is to think what your priority is, are you trying for shallow depth of field or freezing action etc...which will determine which mode you use.
    Ok, got it, forgetting this motive caused me to ask that stupid question before ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1: 1/400 sec
    F/5.6
    iso 100
    #2: 1/15 sec
    F/29
    iso 100
    The difference is obvious...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So Gemini, now that the difference is obvious, could you go out and get better photos, understanding more about how your camera works?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wellll.....I don't know about that YET..HA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Attempt at DoF. I think i have it sorted.
    Sorry about the grainy pics but the camera decided on ISO 3200 ofr some reason. I checked the settings after checking the info on the file and the camera is set to ISO 400 so i dont know why it changed it.

1st was shot at F5.6 1/25sec 50mm
    2nd was shot at F22 0.6s 50mm

Please let me know if this is right or if i have it all wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I have had a go at this challenge, but am having trouble getting a clear (non blurry) pic at f22. Is this because it was at low light (sunset)? Should I wait for better light? Also camera was handheld for shots, is f22 a setting where tripod is necessary? What type of situation is f22 used for a photo? I am tending to stay as low f as possible in my general practicing. Thanks, Maree

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mareech View Post
    Hi I have had a go at this challenge, but am having trouble getting a clear (non blurry) pic at f22. Is this because it was at low light (sunset)? Should I wait for better light? Also camera was handheld for shots, is f22 a setting where tripod is necessary? What type of situation is f22 used for a photo? I am tending to stay as low f as possible in my general practicing. Thanks, Maree
    Hi Maree, I would say that your pics were blurry because f22 is a small aperture opening and the camera would compensate by choosing a slow shutter speed and then it was probably too slow to hand hold. So you could either try taking the shot at better light, but then you won't get the sunset, or using a tripod or sitting your camera on something solid. You could also try adjusting your ISO. I haven't done a lot of landscapes or seascapes but my understanding is you would use around f22 for photo's where you want everything in focus and not a shallow depth of field. I am still a newbie myself so I hope this makes sense and I hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tania, thanks for your reply, I wasn't sure if changing iso would change the effect of the exercise. I guess I should have experimented then I would know. I did take some with camera sitting on a rail and they were much better. Thanks again, Maree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so here is one of my efforts - I tried a couple of subjects. Various results. Started off taking a snail but by the time I sorted settings it had done a runner!

The f numbers still confuse me- I think this correct.... smaller number bigger hole- so smaller the number, more available light (less need for speed?- slower speed OK) .
    Bigger the number smaller the hole, speed should be slower to have time to let in enough light. When the speed gets slower it is harder to get crisp image. (I guess you would have to use a tripod.) Advantage to smaller f number - isolates the subject from the background
    Disadvantage- if the object is bigger only some of it may be in focus if it's not flat/parallel to the camera , if very bright day may be overexposed (?)
    Advantage to higher f number - more of the picture in focus
    Not sure, but could be advantage to use for moving objects - less room for error- can shoot at higher speed for freezing action (tho' I presume on full manual setting you can have big hole and fast speed---hmmm I'll think about that!)
    Disadvantage - all the junk lying around in the background is obvious!

Photo 1 .... f22
    1/160
    ISO 100
    Photo 2..... f5.6
    1/200
    ISO 100
    One question (of many) the exif (?) data said.... exposure bias -1......I did notice this in view finder.....did I do that or is it automatically set?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her 'tis.. I can't quite work out how to put both photos on at once.
    The Impressionists hoped to........" Capture the transient effect of light and colour"........ I wish I could!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    Here are my first attempts at trying depth of field.

010 by Katt1970, on Flickr

022A by Katt1970, on Flickr

Regards - Katt
    Last edited by Katt; 12-10-2010 at 4:54pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    la lumiere, you are correct, the smaller the F number the bigger the aperture will be. Apertures are a fraction, so consider it this way 1/4th of something is bigger that 1/16th of the same thing. Thus f 1/4th is bigger than f 1/16th, but rather than write them as a fraction we just write f4 or f16.

Exposure bias is a different setting again. It only works in auto or the semi-auto modes on your camera. If you adjust the bias, your camera will under-expose, or over-expose the scene, based on what it's meters read.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Katt, you have posted two very nice photos, but what have you learnt about how a different aperture affects the way your photos come out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick,
    The best thing I have learnt is that by using a wide aperture provides some really interesting shots. In the past I have always used a narrow aperture where everything is in focus & quite often, this has resulted in a really boring photo without much focus on the subject. I am really pleased I have learnt about this & think it will be really useful when travelling & taking portrait shots.
    Thanks for your comment
    Katt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is my effort.......I am trying to work out getting BOTH eyes in focus........using aperture and DOF.
    1 1/6 at f7.1 both eyes reasonably in focus.......

2 1/20 at f5.6 front eye more in focus due to angle of head. In order to get both I would have had to go to f7 or 8 and increase the dof?

3 1/20 f5.6 and here the angle is less so the dof looks shallower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    Check out this poll about which mode people use, the majority use Aperture priority!
    I move with the herd. I hardly use anything but aperture priority now. Thanks for an enlightening thread.

Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Apertures are a fraction, so consider it this way 1/4th of something is bigger that 1/16th of the same thing. Thus f 1/4th is bigger than f 1/16th, but rather than write them as a fraction we just write f4 or f16.
    Thanks Rick. A piece of puzzle just falls into place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DOF practise

I think I'm getting it !!!

Flower at A20

Flowers at A5.6

Flowers at A8

Last edited by aurora; 05-01-2011 at 8:17pm. Reason: add comment
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 50mm, Nikon 18 - 105mm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast