User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Installing cs4 on my vista computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing cs4 on my vista computer.

So I have a 'borrowed' version of CS2 on my computer along with BDSIZER and a couple of other photography editing bits but NOW I want to upload my NEW FULL EXTENDED VERSION CS4 on my computer.

Could someone please advise me of what I need to take OFF and other things I need to do to avoid problems with loading this program on my computer please- I read somewhere you had to do something else to previous versions BEFORE you try to delete say CS2 from the computer or the new upload wont work.

Advise from people well schooled in computers and loading CS4 (eg Kym, Rick, etc) would be much appreciated- Im not going to try loading it till the weekend though. .no hurry..just computer illiterate amongst other things

I need help: please

David.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just uninstall CS2 (and that should not matter either) - you should be ok.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is also a clean-up tool on the abobe site that is designed to get rid of 'left over' files from previous versions of Photoshop.

Will go search it out and post a link for you.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    actually now that I look it relates more to CS3, but it is here : http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its really for CS3 or CS4 where you have to deactivate the app prior to removal so that you can reinstall or upgrade later. As CS2 didn't have the deactivate system, then its just a case of removing it using its own uninstall program.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys.

Ive gone ahead and unloaded the CS2 stuff and Im still here (lol) and I will download that software you suggested Rick and use it just to make sure all the previous Photoshop version stuff is gone.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently moved from CS3 to CS4... and I didn't bother uninstalling CS3 first I was too scared that CS4 wouldn't work for some reason and I'd be left with no processing software. Also wanted to be sure I transferred the multitude of plug-ins.

Well, CS4 installed perfectly without removing CS3. I've not had any issues so far and CS4 'remembered' all the workspace settings etc that I had from CS3. Managed to re-install all the plug-ins too without much problem, just a matter of pointing CS4 to the right folder. The only thing is, I'm now scared of uninstalling CS3 in case it somehow disrupts CS4's happy state you can tell I've had some bad experiences with software over the years!

Good luck with the install David
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the tool above is more for those that have trial versions installed. To get a nice clean install when installing a full version they recommend you use the clean tool to get rid of the previous version (trial) so that all the restrictions that apply to a trial don't come across to your full install version

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Tricky and Rick_ here goes. If you find a computer on the footpath and a broken window around Brisbane in the nxt 24 hours youll know it didnt go so well

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thanks for the info Tricky and Rick_ here goes. If you find a computer on the footpath and a broken window around Brisbane in the nxt 24 hours youll know it didnt go so well
    You will have to throw it a lot further than our your window for me to find it.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have vista ultimate you can install the 64 bit version of CS4, when I installed I ran the install file from a "run as administrator" option.

I've found that with vista, often apps that don't work properly will behave if installed with the "run as administrator" option.

Your user account may have admin priviledges but for some reason installing from an admin enabled user account doesn't necessarily install in the same manner.

To access the "run as administrator" option find the install executable in explorer and right click & select "run as administrator"

Don't ask me why, I really don't know, I just know that I've had several apps that wouldn't install correctly until I used that method.